Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The United Methodist Church Prays of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 16 August 2017 "A Person Filled with the Love"

The United Methodist Church Prays of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 16 August 2017 "A Person Filled with the Love"

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 16, 2017
A Word from John Wesley
To explain myself a little farther on this head [Christian perfection] —
(1) Not only sin, properly so called (that is, a voluntary transgression of a known law), but sin, improperly so called (that is, an involuntary transgression of a divine law, known or unknown), needs the atoning blood. (2) I believe there is no such perfection in this life as excludes these involuntary transgressions, which I apprehend to be naturally consequent on the ignorance and mistakes inseparable from mortality. (3) Therefore, sinless perfection is a phrase I never use, lest I should seem to contradict myself. (4) I believe, a person filled with the love of God is still liable to these involuntary transgressions. (5) Such transgressions you may call sins, if you please: I do not, for the reasons above mentioned. [John Wesley, The Character of a Methodist, ¶19.]
A Hymn from Charles Wesley
1. Lay thy weighty cross on me,
All my unbelief control;
Till the rebel cease to be
Keep him down within my soul;
That he never more may move,
Root and ground me fast in love.
2. Give me faith to hold me up,
Walking over life’s rough sea;
Holy, purifying hope
Still my soul’s sure anchor be;
That I may be always thine,
Perfect me in love divine. (Collection-1781, #176:3 & 4)
Questions for Reflection:
  1. In John Wesley’s description of the character of a Methodist, he wants the believer to live in the fullness of God’s love on the one hand; and, to acknowledge the limitations we have as human beings on the other hand. Why is this important to John Wesley? Is it important to you?
  2. The Wesleyan way of discipleship envisions every man and woman fully alive in Christ. Everyone! What is the next step in your spiritual growth this week?
  3. What is the meaning of Charles Wesley’s hymn for today? Do you desire “Holy, purifying hope”? What would it mean to you? To your family? To your congregation?
  4. This hymn asks God to “Perfect me in love divine.” What are your thoughts and expectations? What can it mean to pray this line of Charles Wesley’s hymn?
  5. Is there someone else who needs to know that Christ, through the Holy Spirit, can do in our lives today?
Prayer:
Through the storms of life, O God, you are with your people in the person of Jesus your Son. Calm our fears and strengthen our faith that we may never doubt his presence among us but proclaim that he is your Son, risen from the dead, living for ever and ever., Amen.
The Wesley excerpts are from A Disciple’s Journal—2017: A Guide for Daily Prayer, Bible Reading, and Discipleship, by Steven W. Manskar. Copyright © 2017 Discipleship Resources, Nashville, Tennessee. All rights reserved. Used by permission. The prayer is reprinted with permission from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002, Consultation on Common Texts.
Editor’s Note: Join with the Desert Southwest annual conference as they lead us in prayer this week. Each day, a new video meditation will guide us in prayer and reflection for the Commission on the Way Forward.
Copyright © 2017 The Upper Room, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
The 
Upper Room Strategic Initiatives
PO Box 340007
Nashville, Tennessee 37203, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment