Friday, August 11, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "SHARING OUR PLATES" for Sunday, 13 August 2017 - Read 2 Timothy 1:1-7

issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "SHARING OUR PLATES" for Sunday, 13 August 2017 - Read 2 Timothy 1:1-7
-------
2 Timothy 1:1 From: Sha’ul, an emissary of the Messiah Yeshua by God’s will, which holds forth a promise of life through being united with Messiah Yeshua
2 To: Timothy, my dear son:
Grace, mercy and shalom from God the Father and the Messiah Yeshua, our Lord.
3 I give thanks to God, whom, like my forbears, I worship with a clean conscience, as I regularly remember you in my prayers night and day. 4 I am reminded of your tears, and I long to see you, so that I might be filled with joy. 5 I recall your sincere trust, the same trust that your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice had first; and I am convinced that you too now have this trust.
6 For this reason, I am reminding you to fan the flame of God’s gift, which you received through s’mikhah from me. 7 For God gave us a Spirit who produces not timidity, but power, love and self-discipline.
-------
I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. [2 Timothy 1:5 (NRSV)]
When my son began eating solid foods, it was a challenge to get him to eat vegetables. Soft, bite-sized pieces of carrots, broccoli, and squash landed on the floor faster than I could spoon them onto his plate. One day I realized that although my son was disinterested in the food on his plate, he was interested in what was on mine. He would eat anything served on my plate in order to imitate me. I learned to pile my plate high with enough colorful vegetables to share with my son. Over time he developed such an appetite for vegetables that he began to enjoy them served on his own plate.
In a similar way, Lois and Eunice influenced Timothy. This grandmother and mother shared a spiritual plate chock-full of their faith in Christ. Over time the faith they planted grew in Timothy to become a life of faith and service to the Lord.
Parents and grandparents want to provide their children and grandchildren with the very best home, education, and opportunities. Lois and Eunice are reminders of our responsibility to also provide the next generation with a foundation of faith, that they may be nourished until they crave a sincere faith of their own.
See a photo of Donyale and her son, here.

Donyale and her son, Dylon
© 2017 The Upper Room®. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

The Author: Donyale Fraylon (Texas, USA)
Thought for the Day: How can I plant seeds of faith for the next generations?
Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to live in ways that show the next generations our love for you and our sincere faith in Jesus Christ. Amen.
Prayer focus:
CHILDREN WITHOUT ENOUGH FOOD
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment