Friday, August 11, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotions of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "KEEP GOING" for Saturday, 12 August, 2017 - Read 2 Corinthians 12:1-10

issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotions of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "KEEP GOING" for Saturday, 12 August, 2017 - Read 2 Corinthians 12:1-10
-------
2 Corinthians 12:1 I have to boast. There is nothing to be gained by it, but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man in union with the Messiah who fourteen years ago was snatched up to the third heaven; whether he was in the body or outside the body I don’t know, God knows. 3 And I know that such a man — whether in the body or apart from the body I don’t know, God knows — 4 was snatched into Gan-‘Eden and heard things that cannot be put into words, things unlawful for a human being to utter. 5 About such a man I will boast; but about myself I will not boast, except in regard to my weaknesses. 6 If I did want to boast, I would not be foolish; because I would be speaking the truth. But, because of the extraordinary greatness of the revelations, I refrain, so that no one will think more of me than what my words or deeds may warrant. 7 Therefore, to keep me from becoming overly proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from the Adversary to pound away at me, so that I wouldn’t grow conceited. 8 Three times I begged the Lord to take this thing away from me; 9 but he told me, “My grace is enough for you, for my power is brought to perfection in weakness.” Therefore, I am very happy to boast about my weaknesses, in order that the Messiah’s power will rest upon me. 10 Yes, I am well pleased with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties endured on behalf of the Messiah; for it is when I am weak that I am strong.
-------
Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. [Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIV)]
At age 16, when I joined a six-week bicycle trip through Holland, England, and France, I found Holland manageable, but England’s hills were overwhelming. I hadn’t properly trained for bicycling 30-50 miles daily. I was often alone and lagging behind, especially on the steep climbs. When my travel companions stopped for a quick break, they’d watch for my approach and yell, “Keep going, Jane! Don’t stop!”
Now, when I’m faced with a setback or overwhelmed by challenges, I picture God in the role of my long-ago traveling companions. But God is more than a cheerleader. God is my strength and provider. When I pray for God’s help to keep me going, what seems staggering at the moment becomes straightforward and possible.
Reading about the faith of others in Hebrews 11 and recalling God’s words to Paul in today’s reading encourage me: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Each trial we face is an opportunity for diligence and dedication. We can look beyond the all-consuming task to find in Jesus the strength and encouragement we need to continue.
Read more from the author, here.
More from Jane Compton

My bike trip in Europe was the highlight of my cycling adventures, but the confidence to go on that adventure was earned the hard way! Riding into a bush the day my bike’s training wheels were removed, ruining a brand new pair of glittery knit pants on my sixth birthday due to pedaling too fast and crashing, and being bitten by a dog as I rode with my feet on the handlebars didn’t keep me off my bicycle.
Looking back, one memory that stands out is the day I rode my bike to the pet store to buy a goldfish. As a ten year-old, I felt grown-up and confident that I could do this on my own. After purchasing the cutest goldfish in the tank, I held the carton’s flimsy handle in one hand and steered my bike with the other. I rode through the mostly empty parking lot, responsibly keeping my eyes on the carton to be sure the water wasn’t splashing out. No need to stress my new fish-friend! I had handled the purchase well, and was on my way home.
However, within minutes, I ended up on the ground, having crashed into the one pole in the entire parking lot. Lying there, the only thing I cared about was the fish out of water! The carton was opened and the tiny fish flopped around on the cement. I scrambled to the rescue and quickly returned him to the bit of water remaining in the carton. Jumping on my bike and ignoring my bloody knee and elbow, I raced home to get my new pet in water. We both survived!
Growing out of the crashing phase of my life, I learned to ride a unicycle and loved time spent on a tandem bike with a friend, singing at the top of our lungs. Whether it was a ‘bicycle built for two’ or riding on my own, I’m grateful the mishaps didn’t stop me. Bicycling adventures have been a fun part of my life. [Jane Compton]
The Author: Jane Compton (Oregon, USA)
Thought for the Day: I’m able to go the distance with God as my strength.
Prayer: Dear God, thank you for opportunities to practice perseverance. Help us to become more steadfast so that we will mature in our faith. Amen.
Prayer focus:
CYCLISTS
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment