Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotion "Strength in Words" for Thursday, 9 April 2015 - Scripture: Hebrews 1:1-8


issue coverToday's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotion "Strength in Words" for Thursday, 9 April 2015 - Scripture: Hebrews 1:1 In days gone by, God spoke in many and varied ways to the Fathers through the prophets. 2 But now, in the acharit-hayamim, he has spoken to us through his Son, to whom he has given ownership of everything and through whom he created the universe. 3 This Son is the radiance of the Sh’khinah, the very expression of God’s essence, upholding all that exists by his powerful word; and after he had, through himself, made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of HaG’dulah BaM’romim.[a]
4 So he has become much better than angels, and the name God has given him is superior to theirs. 5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son;
today I have become your Father”?[b]
Also, God never said of any angel,
“I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son.”[c]
6 And again, when God brings his Firstborn into the world, he says,
“Let all God’s angels worship him.”[d]
7 Indeed, when speaking of angels, he says,
“. . . who makes his angels winds
and his servants fiery flames”;[e]
8 but to the Son, he says,
“Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever;
you rule your Kingdom with a scepter of equity;[Footnotes:
Hebrews 1:3 Psalm 110:1
Hebrews 1:5 Psalm 2:7
Hebrews 1:5 2 Samuel 7:14; 1 Chronicles 17:13
Hebrews 1:6 Psalm 97:7
Hebrews 1:7 Psalm 104:4]
Paul wrote, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”[Philippians 4:13 (NRSV)]
I was in my junior year of college with two young children to care for. My husband and I were divorcing, and my paternal grandmother had just died — all a few weeks before Christmas. As I began scraping up the funds to attend her funeral 2000 miles away, I also had to find a caregiver for my children in my absence and deal with semester exams. All these challenges didn’t leave much room for grieving.
Later, my mother told me about her last visit with my grandmother. As Grandmother lay in the hospital bed, Mom told her about my struggles as a newly single parent, trying to finish college. In Grandmother’s response were three simple words that have since carried me through many years of challenges. “Tell her not to worry, because she’s strong like me.” I’d never thought of myself as strong before then. I was just trying to survive each day.
It’s amazing what words can do. Some tend to wound and weaken us, while others encourage, strengthen, and uplift us. I am grateful for the words of our heavenly Father found in scripture that can strengthen us daily, regardless of circumstances. God’s words are loving and powerful. They never change, and we can carry them forever in our hearts and minds.
The Author: Carlitta Cole-Kelly (California, USA)
Thought for the Day: God’s word can change our lives.
Prayer: Dear Lord, please never let us forget that whatever we are going through, we can be strong in you. Amen.
Prayer focus: Those Grieving The Loss Of A Loved One
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment