Friday, April 10, 2015

Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Friday, 10 April 2015Scripture: John 20:19-23

Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS"  for Friday, 10 April 2015 - Scripture: John 20:19 In the evening that same day, the first day of the week, when the talmidim were gathered together behind locked doors out of fear of the Judeans, Yeshua came, stood in the middle and said, “Shalom aleikhem!” 20 Having greeted them, he showed them his hands and his side. The talmidim were overjoyed to see the Lord. 21 “Shalom aleikhem!” Yeshua repeated. “Just as the Father sent me, I myself am also sending you.” 22 Having said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Ruach HaKodesh! 23 If you forgive someone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you hold them, they are held.”[Complete Jewish Bible]
As I walked along on the way to a worship service with confession and forgiveness some thirty years ago, I asked a friend if she were going, too. "No," she said, "I don't like to dwell on my sins." I thought to myself, neither do I, and that's why I'm going to confess and to hear the words absolving me. I get tired of dwelling on my sins and want them out from under over and around me. Jesus sent people to be the instruments of his forgiveness. How much sweeter it is to dwell on the promise of forgiveness, to pitch my tent on remission, to tarry over God's mercy, to remind myself when old regrets nag that all my sins are washed away!
Gracious God, thank you for calling people to proclaim to us that we are forgiven for Jesus' sake. As we remember our sins, help us to remember even more the forgiveness that the risen Jesus has won for us. Amen.
Ladd Bjorneby
Lutheran Community Services Northwest, Spokane, Wash.
Master of Divinity , 1985
John 20:19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"
20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."
22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."[New Revised Standard Version]
_____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment