Friday, April 10, 2015

Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotion "My Friend" for Friday, 10 April 2015 - Scripture: Psalm 139:1-12

issue cover
Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotion "My Friend" for Friday, 10 April 2015 - Scripture: Psalm 139: (0) For the leader. A psalm of David:
(1) Adonai, you have probed me, and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I stand up,
you discern my inclinations from afar,
3 you scrutinize my daily activities.
You are so familiar with all my ways
4 that before I speak even a word, Adonai,
you know all about it already.
5 You have hemmed me in both behind and in front
and laid your hand on me.
6 Such wonderful knowledge is beyond me,
far too high for me to reach.
7 Where can I go to escape your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I climb up to heaven, you are there;
if I lie down in Sh’ol, you are there.
9 If I fly away with the wings of the dawn
and land beyond the sea,
10 even there your hand would lead me,
your right hand would hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Let darkness surround me,
let the light around me be night,”
12 even darkness like this
is not too dark for you;
rather, night is as clear as day,
darkness and light are the same.
Jesus said, “Remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”[Matthew 28:20 (NRSV)]
It seemed as if everyone had siblings except me. Behind every door in the apartment building where I grew up were brothers and sisters. But they were not mine. Admittedly, I had a lot of friends. But something was missing — having someone else, someone close to me.
When I was a child, I created my own imaginary friend. He had no name, but he was always there and we were very close. He slept under my bed. We liked the same food and the same kind of music. If the family made a trip, he sat beside me in the backseat. When I started school, he was there. We could talk about everything. We laughed at the same things, and we cried together.
Eventually, I realized that my constant friend was not imaginary at all. It was Jesus who had moved into my childhood and remained my faithful companion. Now I’m an adult. And fortunately for me, I’m still just as close to my friend.
My path has not always been straightforward and simple. But never, even for a moment, did I doubt his presence, his patience, his openness and love. In and through Jesus I have many friends. But above all, Jesus has opened doors to sisters and brothers I did not know existed. Millions of them.
The Author: Thomas Boström (Gotland, Sweden)
Thought for the Day: What a friend we have in Jesus!
Prayer: Dear Jesus, we thank you for your life, your closeness, and your grace that lead us each day. Amen.
Prayer focus: Christian Friends
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment