Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Thursday, April 09, 2015 - Scripture: John 20:24-31



The Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Thursday, April 09, 2015 - Scripture: John 20:24 Now T’oma (the name means “twin”), one of the Twelve, was not with them when Yeshua came. 25 When the other talmidim told him, “We have seen the Lord,” he replied, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands, put my finger into the place where the nails were and put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe it.”
26 A week later his talmidim were once more in the room, and this time T’oma was with them. Although the doors were locked, Yeshua came, stood among them and said, “Shalom aleikhem!” 27 Then he said to T’oma, “Put your finger here, look at my hands, take your hand and put it into my side. Don’t be lacking in trust, but have trust!” 28 T’oma answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Yeshua said to him, “Have you trusted because you have seen me? How blessed are those who do not see, but trust anyway!”
30 In the presence of the talmidim Yeshua performed many other miracles which have not been recorded in this book. 31 But these which have been recorded are here so that you may trust that Yeshua is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by this trust you may have life because of who he is.[Complete Jewish Bible]
Jesus chose to give Thomas the gift of faith. His fellow disciples had already experienced the risen Jesus or they might have made the same kind ofstatement he did, "Unless I see ... " Out of love for Thomas, Jesus let him see. Jesus knows that we are still people who need to hear and see and touch. So he comes to us too. He comes and touches us in the flowing water at the fount, the morsel of bread in our hands, the sip of wine on our tongues, the word in our ears, the outstretched hand of a fellow Christian. He does this so that we might believe.
Having met Thomas in this story, we can imagine that he might have asked himself a time or two in the days to come, "Did I really see him?" And then he would have discovered that, finally, he too had to live by faith. Even if he didn't see Jesus again in the flesh, Jesus came and stayed close to him, as he does for us.
Gracious God, we too need Jesus to come close enough that we might believe. We give you thanks for the many ways you provide us his touch, his voice, his light, to give us faith. Amen.
Ladd Bjorneby
Lutheran Community Services Northwest, Spokane, Wash.
Master of Divinity , 1985
John 20:24 But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe."
26 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you."
27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe."
28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"
29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."
30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book.
31 But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.[New Revised Standard Version]
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment