Monday, August 3, 2015

The Lutheran Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 4 August 2015 "God Pause Daily Devotion" Scripture: Psalm 34:1-8

The Lutheran Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 4 August 2015 "God Pause Daily Devotion" Scripture: Psalm 34:1-8

Psalm 34:(0) By David, when he pretended to be insane before Avimelekh, who then drove him away; so he left:
2 (1) I will bless Adonai at all times;
his praise will always be in my mouth.
3 (2) When I boast, it will be about Adonai;
the humble will hear of it and be glad.
4 (3) Proclaim with me the greatness of Adonai;
let us exalt his name together.
5 (4) I sought Adonai, and he answered me;
he rescued me from everything I feared.
6 (5) They looked to him and grew radiant;
their faces will never blush for shame.
7 (6) This poor man cried; Adonai heard
and saved him from all his troubles.
8 (7) The angel of Adonai, who encamps
around those who fear him, delivers them.[Complete Jewish Bible]
While visiting a dying " She shook her head gently and quoted, "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him." A moment later, recovering her breath, she added, "Well, since I fear God, I don't fear death. So it's a good fear." A good fear! Even though the psalmist has experienced terror, affliction, and troubles, we are invited to join in proclaiming God's greatness and to "taste and see that the Lord is good." Even in the midst of troubles, God blesses those who find refuge in God.
We are reminded that it is not the presence of good that is God, but the presence of God that is good. It may be just a taste, like Elijah's small cakes in yesterday's reading, but that is enough for us to receive and trust the fullness of God's goodness.
God of our sustenance, give me a taste of your goodness, that I might grow in good fear of you. Amen.
Bryan Woken
Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, West Hills, Calif.
Master of Divinity , 1984
Psalm 34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad.
3 O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Look to him, and be radiant; so your faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord, and was saved from every trouble.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8 O taste and see that the Lord is good; happy are those who take refuge in him.[New Revised Standard Version]
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment