Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from The Global Church of the Nazarene in Lenexa, Kansas, United States for Monday, 3 August 2015 - "Just Like Dad!" Leviticus 19:1-18

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from The Global Church of the Nazarene in Lenexa, Kansas, United States for Monday, 3 August 2015 - "Just Like Dad!" Leviticus 19:1-18RG AUDIO 080315
Leviticus 19:1 Adonai said to Moshe, 2 “Speak to the entire community of Isra’el; tell them, ‘You people are to be holy because I, Adonai your God, am holy.
3 “‘Every one of you is to revere his father and mother, and you are to keep my Shabbats; I am Adonai your God.
4 “‘Do not turn to idols, and do not cast metal gods for yourselves; I am Adonai your God.
5 “‘When you offer a sacrifice of peace offerings to Adonai, offer it in a way that will make you accepted. 6 It is to be eaten the same day you offer it and the following day; but if any of it remains until the third day, it is to be burned up completely. 7 If any of it is eaten on the third day, it will have become a disgusting thing and will not be accepted; 8 moreover, everyone who eats it will bear the consequences of profaning something holy meant for Adonai — that person will be cut off from his people.
9 “‘When you harvest the ripe crops produced in your land, don’t harvest all the way to corners of your field, and don’t gather the ears of grain left by the harvesters. 10 Likewise, don’t gather the grapes left on the vine or fallen on the ground after harvest; leave them for the poor and the foreigner; I am Adonai your God.
11 “‘Do not steal from, defraud or lie to each other. 12 Do not swear by my name falsely, which would be profaning the name of your God; I am Adonai. 13 Do not oppress or rob your neighbor; specifically, you are not to keep back the wages of a hired worker all night until morning.
14 “‘Do not speak a curse against a deaf person or place an obstacle in the way of a blind person; rather, fear your God; I am Adonai.
(RY: v, LY: ii) 15 “‘Do not be unjust in judging — show neither partiality to the poor nor deference to the mighty, but with justice judge your neighbor.
16 “‘Do not go around spreading slander among your people, but also don’t stand idly by when your neighbor’s life is at stake; I am Adonai.
17 “‘Do not hate your brother in your heart, but rebuke your neighbor frankly, so that you won’t carry sin because of him. 18 Don’t take vengeance on or bear a grudge against any of your people; rather, love your neighbor as yourself; I am Adonai.
"Just Like Dad!" by Author: Stephen Mayes
There is something about watching fathers and sons interact that always chokes me up. Often fathers are their son’s biggest hero. They want to be like him someday. Junior will try to match strides as they walk, deepen his voice as he talks, and even hold his moms hand—all just like his dad. These images make us smile; there is something organic, as it was “meant to be” in these exchanges.
This is the exact scene God desires to see play out between Him and His people. God wants to be their hero—the One they try to walk like, talk like and love like. God wants His people to pattern their lives after Him.
This is what the heavenly Father is saying to His children in Leviticus 19:2, “Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am Holy.” God is holy. He is totally set apart from the sinful ways of the world. His greatest desire is to see His children live as He lives.
Today let’s make it our aim to seek God’s grace to walk, talk, love like our Heavenly Father.
Hymn for Today: "I Want To Be Like Jesus" by Thomas O. Chisholm, copyright 1945, Renewed 1973 by Lillenas Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. I have one deep, supreme desire -
That I may be like Jesus.
To this I fervently aspire -
That I may be like Jesus.
I want my heart His throne to be,
So that a watching world may see
His likeness shining forth in me.
I want to be like Jesus.
2. He spent His life in doing good;
I want to be like Jesus.
In lowly paths of service trod;
I want to be like Jesus.
He sympathized with hearts distressed,
He spoke the words that cheered and blessed,
He welcomed sinners to His breast,
I want to be like Jesus.
3. A holy, harmless life He led;
I want to be like Jesus.
The Father’s will - His drink and bread;
I want to be like Jesus.
And when at last He comes to die,
“Forgive them, Father,” hear Him cry
For those who taunt and crucify.
I want to be like Jesus.
4. Oh, perfect life of Christ, my Lord!
I want to be like Jesus.
My recompense and my reward -
That I may be like Jesus.
His Spirit fill my hung’ring soul,
His power all my life control.
My deepest prayer, my highest goal -
That I may be like Jesus.
Thought for Today:
"For both Yeshua, who sets people apart for God, and the ones being set apart have a common origin — this is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers" [Hebrews 2:11].
Please pray:
For the development of Christian leaders in Sao Tome and Principe.
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment