Monday, October 31, 2016

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "FROM DEATH TO LIFE" for Monday, 31 October 2016 with Scripture: John 5:24-26

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "FROM DEATH TO LIFE" for Monday, 31 October 2016 with Scripture: John 5:24 Yes, indeed! I tell you that whoever hears what I am saying and trusts the One who sent me has eternal life — that is, he will not come up for judgment but has already crossed over from death to life! 25 Yes, indeed! I tell you that there is coming a time — in fact, it’s already here — when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who listen will come to life. 26 For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has given the Son life to have in himself.
-------
Jesus said, “Anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me . . . does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life.”[John 5:24 (NRSV)]
I was taking care of my sister, Josephine, who had a terminal condition. For two weeks my duties had included showing her love by listening to her, helping her eat, and assuring her that God was present with her. During one of the visits, the nurses asked me to stay by her bedside even after visiting hours. I was grateful for the extra time with my sister.
While I was there, my sister asked me to help her take a bath. After the bath as I helped her dress, led her into bed, and tucked her in, I remember thinking that she was getting well. Josephine then whispered, “Violet, you can go now. God will bless you.” As I was on my way home, I was called back to the hospital. On arrival, I was ushered into a waiting room and told that my sister had passed on shortly after I left. Though I felt great pain, her last words consoled me, “God will bless you.”
I never imagined that I would have the privilege of hearing someone’s last words, and these words reminded me of what I had been taught in Sunday school about Jesus’ seven last sayings. The seventh one, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit,” means that Jesus knew where his spirit would be going. Like Jesus and my sister, anyone who knows and obeys God can face death with the assurance that they will soon be resting in the arms of God.
Read more from the author, here.
"More from Violet Mutasa"
Growing up, my mother taught me to trust in the Lord. This awesome woman would take us to church every Sunday. The programs at the church were very good. The Baptist church is known for its Bible teaching. Sunday school played a very important part in my upbringing. One of the best Sunday school lessons was during Easter. As a group we were taught the last seven words of Jesus as recorded in the Gospels:
1: Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they do.
2: Today l will be with you in paradise.
3: Behold your son. Behold your mother.
4: My God, my God why have you forsaken me?
5: l am thirsty.
6: It is finished.
7: Father, into your hands l commit my spirit.
I was taught that while on the cross Jesus was speaking about victory while enduring pain. l never imagined that l would witness my own sister in serious pain and yet speaking words of blessing. Whenever l think of my sister, l think of her last words: "God will bless you."[Violet Mutasa]

The Author: Violet Mutasa (Harare, Zimbabwe)
Thought for the Day: In the face of death, God offers eternal life.
Prayer: Dear God, thank you for your promise that in Christ Jesus we have eternal life with you. Amen.
Prayer focus: NURSES
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment