Friday, November 29, 2013

The Upper Room Daily Devotional – “Ready to Share” Friday, 29 November 2013 Read John 21

The Upper Room Daily Devotional – “Ready to Share” Friday, 29 November 2013
Read John 21: Jesus and Peter
15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.(NRSV)
Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”(John 21:15 (NIV))
We were visiting churches that support us in our mission ministry. For one meal, our hostess and her husband prepared delicious waffles with a sourdough starter that she had kept for 44 years. It was a present from her husband’s aunt and had been in the family for 75 years. Sourdough needs care; it has to be “fed” regularly with sugar, milk, and flour. For the sourdough to stay useful to bake into bread, it has to be tended, used, and shared; if not it will “die.” Our hostess told us that she gave some to a young couple, but it had “died.” She said, “Maybe they were not ready to receive the sourdough.” Since the beginning of time, God has offered us many kinds of starter gifts: skills, talents, love, and grace to name a few. Are we taking good care of them? Are we feeding them so they may feed others? If we don’t share our skills and gifts, they will die for lack of use. When we are ready to receive God’s love and grace, we can then share with others God’s greatest gift, Jesus the Christ.(The Author-Eunice Arias (Canelones, Uruguay))
Thought for the Day: God wants us to feed those who hunger for love and grace.
Prayer: We thank you, Lord, for all the love and grace and forgiveness and peace you have given us. May we always be ready to share these gifts with others. Amen.
Prayer Focus: Missionaries and those who support them
~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment