Monday, February 29, 2016

"The Secret to Telling a Good Story" Rabbi Moffic The Book is Here of Highland Park, Illinois, United States for Monday, 29 February 2016

"The Secret to Telling a Good Story" Rabbi Moffic The Book is Here of Highland Park, Illinois, United States for Monday, 29 February 2016

I needed a quick meal before heading to the Sarasota airport. The diner across the street looked normal.
It had a big hot dog sign out front. Beer signs and sports posters adorned the walls.
But then I got the menu. It told a story. A story that brought tears to my eyes.
15 years ago two brothers began the diner as a tribute to their brother Joey. He had died of a rare disease called Cockayne Syndrome.

Something changed. This diner was no longer typical burger and fries joint. It was a place of hope. It was a place of life.
Now yes, the food was good and the service excellent. But that's not why I'll be back on my next trip.
I'll come back because of the story. I'll come back because of how it makes me feel, because it touches me on a deeper level.
What's Your Story?
Whatever you do, you have a unique story. You have overcome obstacles to get where you are. You have had teachers, mentors, experiences...that make you unique.
Don't just do your job. Tell your story. Make it part of what distinguishes what you do, what you teach, how you lead.
Am I Invited?
But your story is not just about you. What makes a story compelling is the way it invites others in. By eating at that restaurant, I was honoring Joey's memory. I became part of his story.
That's their power: Stories make us human and give our lives meaning. When we vote, we become part of the American story. When we love, we become part of God's story.
When we celebrate the upcoming holidays of Passover or Easter, we enter into the greatest story of redemption ever told, as I discuss in the timely What Every Christian Needs to Know About Passover.
What is your story? Who is your favorite story-teller? Hit reply and let me know.
Rabbi Evan Moffic
Congregation Solel
1301 Clavey Road
Highland Park, Illinois 60035, United States
---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment