Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Daily Guide. grow. pray. study. from The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States "Prayer Tip: The Exodus" for Sunday, 28 August 2016


The Daily Guide. grow. pray. study. from The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States "
Prayer Tip: The Exodus" for Sunday, 28 August 2016
Daily Scripture:
Exodus 3:9 Yes, the cry of the people of Isra’el has come to me, and I have seen how terribly the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Therefore, now, come; and I will send you to Pharaoh; so that you can lead my people, the descendants of Isra’el, out of Egypt.”
5:1 (vii) After that, Moshe and Aharon came and said to Pharaoh, “Here is what Adonai, the God of Isra’el, says: ‘Let my people go, so that they can celebrate a festival in the desert to honor me.’” 2 But Pharaoh replied, “Who is Adonai, that I should obey when he says to let Isra’el go? I don’t know Adonai, and I also won’t let Isra’el go.
Prayer Tip:
As I read through the Scriptures we are focusing on this week, I was struck by how much of Moses' story is one of hardship. In Moses' life leading the Israelites they are plagued (often literally) by trouble. Have you ever heard the saying: "When it rains, it pours”? Have you ever had a season of your life that seemed full of difficulty after difficulty? As a pastoral care pastor, I often sit in awe of how many bad situations people encounter within just a few months. A story like this one no longer shocks me: "Pastor, I lost a loved one a year ago, then my husband/wife filed for the divorce, then I got laid off. Now the mortgage company is threatening to take our home." I am fortunate in many ways, but in the last four months, we lost a cat, a puppy and then my mother-in-law. Talk about a downpour of loss.
What are we to do in seasons of life where pain just won't let up? In my experience, we especially need to count on God's grace in these moments. For someone facing hardship, experiencing grace is like experiencing rain in the desert. You are weary, dreading what comes next, fearing the worst is yet to come—and then you catch a break. Sometimes we sense God is gracing us, other times we can grace each other, and sometimes we need to grace ourselves. When you expect God, a friend, family member, stranger or even your own self-critic to be hard on you, and instead find grace—that you are okay, accepted, loved, forgiven, understood—what greater blessing could there be? God showed up dramatically in this way for Moses and the Israelites. I think we have the chance to embody extend and embody God's grace in our world as well.
This week, I invite you to reflect on these questions:
How can we be a Christian community that reminds people of God's grace when they are struggling? What word of forgiveness, acceptance, or encouragement can we offer them?
How can we show grace to one another in our daily interactions? What can you let slide that might give someone the break they can't seem to catch anywhere else?
How can we grace ourselves? How can you silence the voice of your inner-critic? If you zoom out and observe all you are up against, what can you give yourself some slack on?
Join me in praying this prayer:
God, I can't believe all that I am up against. I am overwhelmed, exhausted, worried about what life might throw at me next. I feel like I have let myself and others down in the storm. Some days, I don't even feel like myself anymore. God of love, help me to remember your grace. Help me to be mindful of just how you much you love me even when I feel like, or am, a bit of a mess. Give me the strength to let go of things that don't need to matter in this season of life and to celebrate the fact that I have been resilient even in the face of so many trials. Give me the perspective to live with grace in mind. Amen.[Rev. Katherine Ebling-Frazier, Pastor of Prayer]
-------

Sunday, August 28, 2016 – Journey in the Footsteps of Moses “The Exodus”
Scripture: Exodus 3:9 Yes, the cry of the people of Isra’el has come to me, and I have seen how terribly the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Therefore, now, come; and I will send you to Pharaoh; so that you can lead my people, the descendants of Isra’el, out of Egypt.”
5:1 (vii) After that, Moshe and Aharon came and said to Pharaoh, “Here is what Adonai, the God of Isra’el, says: ‘Let my people go, so that they can celebrate a festival in the desert to honor me.’” 2 But Pharaoh replied, “Who is Adonai, that I should obey when he says to let Isra’el go? I don’t know Adonai, and I also won’t let Isra’el go.
-------
"The confrontation began"
Monday, 29 August 2016
Exodus 5:1 (vii) After that, Moshe and Aharon came and said to Pharaoh, “Here is what Adonai, the God of Isra’el, says: ‘Let my people go, so that they can celebrate a festival in the desert to honor me.’” 2 But Pharaoh replied, “Who is Adonai, that I should obey when he says to let Isra’el go? I don’t know Adonai, and I also won’t let Isra’el go.” 3 They said, “The God of the Hebrews has met with us. Please let us go three days’ journey into the desert, so that we can sacrifice to Adonai our God. Otherwise, he may strike us with a plague or with the sword.” 4 The king of Egypt answered them, “Moshe and Aharon, what do you mean by taking the people away from their work? Get back to your labor! 5 Look!” Pharaoh added, “the population of the land has grown, yet you are trying to have them stop working!”
6 That same day Pharaoh ordered the slavemasters and the people’s foremen, 7 “You are no longer to provide straw for the bricks the people are making, as you did before. Let them go and gather straw for themselves. 8 But you will require them to produce the same quantity of bricks as before, don’t reduce it, because they’re lazing around. This is why they’re crying, ‘Let us go and sacrifice to our God.’ 9 Give these people harder work to do. That will keep them too busy to pay attention to speeches full of lies.”
5:19 When they said, “You are not to reduce your daily production quota of bricks,” the foremen of the people of Isra’el could see that they were in deep trouble.
20 As they were leaving Pharaoh, they encountered Moshe and Aharon standing by the road; 21 and they said to them, “May Adonai look at you and judge accordingly, because you have made us utterly abhorrent in the view of Pharaoh and his servants, and you have put a sword in their hands to kill us!” (Maftir) 22 Moshe returned to Adonai and said, “Adonai, why have you treated this people so terribly? What has been the value of sending me? 23 For ever since I came to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has dealt terribly with this people! And you haven’t rescued your people at all!”
6 Adonai said to Moshe, “Now you will see what I am going to do to Pharaoh. With a mighty hand he will send them off; with force he will drive them from the land!”
7:(iv) 8 Adonai said to Moshe and Aharon, 9 “When Pharaoh says to you, ‘Perform a miracle,’ tell Aharon to take his staff and throw it down in front of Pharaoh, so that it can become a snake.” 10 Moshe and Aharon went in to Pharaoh and did this, as Adonai had ordered — Aharon threw down his staff in front of Pharaoh and his servants, and it turned into a snake. 11 But Pharaoh in turn called for the sages and sorcerers; and they too, the magicians of Egypt, did the same thing, making use of their secret arts. 12 Each one threw his staff down, and they turned into snakes. But Aharon’s staff swallowed up theirs. 13 Nevertheless, Pharaoh was made hardhearted; and he didn’t listen to them, as Adonai had said would happen.
14 Adonai said to Moshe, “Pharaoh is stubborn. He refuses to let the people go. 15 Go to Pharaoh in the morning when he goes out to the water. Stand on the riverbank to confront him, take in your hand the staff which was turned into a snake, 16 and say to him, ‘Adonai, the God of the Hebrews, sent me to you to say: “Let my people go, so that they can worship me in the desert.” But until now you haven’t listened; 17 so Adonai says, “This will let you know that I am Adonai”: I will take the staff in my hand and strike the water in the river, and it will be turned into blood. 18 The fish in the river will die, the river will stink and the Egyptians won’t want to drink water from the river.’”
19 Adonai said to Moshe, “Say to Aharon, ‘Take your staff, reach out your hand over the waters of Egypt, over their rivers, canals, ponds and all their reservoirs, so that they can turn into blood. There will be blood throughout the whole land of Egypt, even in the wooden buckets and stone jars.’” 20 Moshe and Aharon did exactly what Adonai had ordered. He raised the staff and, in the sight of Pharaoh and his servants, struck the water in the river; and all the water in the river was turned into blood. 21 The fish in the river died, and the river stank so badly that the Egyptians couldn’t drink its water. There was blood throughout all the land of Egypt.
22 But the magicians of Egypt did the same with their secret arts, so that Pharaoh was made hardhearted and didn’t listen to them, as Adonai had said would happen. 23 Pharaoh just turned and went back to his palace, without taking any of this to heart. 24 All the Egyptians dug around the river for water to drink, because they couldn’t drink the river water.
25 Seven days after Adonai had struck the river, 26 (8:1) Adonai said to Moshe, “Go in to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘Here is what Adonai says: “Let my people go, so that they can worship me. 27 (8:2) If you refuse to let them go, I will strike all your territory with frogs. 28 (8:3) The river will swarm with frogs. They will go up, enter your palace and go into your bedroom, onto your bed. They will enter the houses of your servants and your people and go into your ovens and kneading bowls. 29 (8:4) The frogs will climb all over you, your people and your servants.”’”
8:1 (5) Adonai said to Moshe, “Say to Aharon, ‘Reach out your hand with your staff over the rivers, canals and ponds; and cause frogs to come up onto the land of Egypt.’” 2 (6) Aharon put out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land of Egypt. 3 (7) But the magicians did the same with their secret arts and brought up frogs onto the land of Egypt.
4 (8) Then Pharaoh summoned Moshe and Aharon and said, “Intercede with Adonai to take the frogs away from me and my people, and I will let the people go and sacrifice to Adonai.” 5 (9) Moshe said to Pharaoh, “Not only that, but you can have the honor of naming the time when I will pray for you, your servants and your people to be rid of the frogs, both yourselves and your homes, and that they stay only in the river.” 6 (10) He answered, “Tomorrow.” Moshe said, “It will be as you have said, and from this you will learn that Adonai our God has no equal. (v) 7 (11) The frogs will leave you and your homes, also your servants and your people; they will stay in the river only.” 8 (12) Moshe and Aharon left Pharaoh’s presence, and Moshe cried to Adonai about the frogs he had brought on Pharaoh. 9 (13) Adonai did as Moshe had asked — the frogs died in the houses, courtyards and fields; 10 (14) they gathered them in heaps till the land stank. 11 (15) But when Pharaoh saw that he had been given some relief, he made himself hardhearted and would not listen to them, just as Adonai had said would happen.
12 (16) Adonai said to Moshe, “Say to Aharon: ‘Reach out with your staff and strike the dust on the ground; it will become lice throughout all the land of Egypt.’” 13 (17) They did it — Aharon reached out his hand with his staff and struck the dust on the ground, and there were lice on people and animals; all the dust on the ground became lice throughout the whole land of Egypt. 14 (18) The magicians tried with their secret arts to produce lice, but they couldn’t. There were lice on people and animals. 15 (19) Then the magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” But Pharaoh was made hardhearted, so that he didn’t listen to them, just as Adonai had said would happen.
-------
Moses (80-year-old stuttering shepherd) reached Egypt, went to Pharaoh and said, “This is what the LORD, Israel’s God, says: ‘Let my people go…” Moses didn’t say he demanded Israel’s freedom—he spoke on behalf of Israel’s God. Pharaoh’s response (Exodus 5:2) showed that the Egyptian king got it. He claimed to be divine, saw it as a contest with some other god, and couldn’t see why he should bow to another god’s will. He ordered more oppression of Hebrew workers, and shrugged off the first signs of God’s power at work.
• Some readers see this week’s story as showing God as harsh and arbitrary. But the story didn’t show God immediately meeting Pharaoh with the worst, most devastating plagues. The first plagues were more of an irritation, a warning, than a threat. Still Pharaoh quickly made it plain he had no interest in letting the Hebrews go. Have you ever known anyone like Pharaoh—someone who brushes off warnings about the ruinous path their life is on?
• The Egyptian religious experts (some translations call them “magicians”) matched the first signs Moses gave Pharaoh. Exodus didn’t say if they were just skilled illusionists, or if they drew on some kind of dark supernatural power. Either way, Pharaoh believed their power more than that of Moses’ God—it fit what he wanted to believe. What helps you avoid the trap of interpreting all evidence through the lens of what you wish were true?
Prayer: O God, thank you for approaching me in ways that give me room to think, to decide. But help me to think clearly, not to blind myself to signs that you are at work in my life. Amen.
-------
"Plagues 3 through 6 did not budge Pharaoh"
Tuesday, 30 August 2016
Exodus 8:16 (20) Adonai said to Moshe, “Get up early in the morning, stand before Pharaoh when he goes out to the water and say to him, ‘Here is what Adonai says: “Let my people go, so that they can worship me. 17 (21) Otherwise, if you won’t let my people go, I will send swarms of insects on you, your servants and your people, and into your houses. The houses of the Egyptians will be full of swarms of insects, and likewise the ground they stand on. 18 (22) But I will set apart the land of Goshen, where my people live — no swarms of insects will be there — so that you can realize that I am Adonai, right here in the land. (vi) 19 (23) Yes, I will distinguish between my people and your people, and this sign will happen by tomorrow.”’” 20 (24) Adonai did it: terrible swarms of insects went into Pharaoh’s palace and into all his servants’ houses — the insects ruined the entire land of Egypt.
21 (25) Pharaoh summoned Moshe and Aharon and said, “Go, and sacrifice to your God here in the land.” 22 (26) But Moshe replied, “It would be inappropriate for us to do that, because the animal we sacrifice to Adonai our God is an abomination to the Egyptians. Won’t the Egyptians stone us to death if before their very eyes we sacrifice what they consider an abomination? 23 (27) No, we will go three days’ journey into the desert and sacrifice to Adonai our God, as he has ordered us to do.” 24 (28) Pharaoh said, “I will let you go, so that you can sacrifice to Adonai your God in the desert. Only you are not to go very far away. Intercede on my behalf.” 25 (29) Moshe said, “All right, I am going away from you, and I will intercede with Adonai; so that tomorrow, the swarms of insects will leave Pharaoh, his servants and his people. Just make sure that Pharaoh stops playing games with the people by preventing them from going and sacrificing to Adonai.”
26 (30) Moshe left Pharaoh and interceded with Adonai, 27 (31) and Adonai did what Moshe had asked: he removed the swarms of insects from Pharaoh, his servants and his people — not one remained. 28 (32) But this time, too, Pharaoh made himself stubborn and didn’t let the people go.
9:1 Then Adonai said to Moshe, “Go to Pharaoh, and tell him, ‘Here is what Adonai, the God of the Hebrews, says: “Let my people go, so that they can worship me. 2 If you refuse to let them go and persist in holding on to them, 3 the hand of Adonai is on your livestock in the field — on the horses, donkeys, camels, cattle and flocks — and will make them suffer a devastating illness. 4 But Adonai will distinguish between Egypt’s and Isra’el’s livestock — nothing belonging to the people of Isra’el will die.”’” 5 Adonai determined the exact time by saying, “Tomorrow Adonai will do this in the land.” 6 The following day, Adonai did it — all the livestock of Egypt died; but not one of the animals belonging to the people of Isra’el died. 7 Pharaoh investigated and found that not even one of the animals of the people of Isra’el had died. Nevertheless, Pharaoh’s heart remained stubborn, and he didn’t let the people go.
8 Adonai said to Moshe and Aharon, “Take handfuls of ashes from a kiln, and let Moshe throw them in the air before Pharaoh’s eyes. 9 They will turn into fine dust over all the land of Egypt and become infected sores on men and animals throughout Egypt.” 10 So they took ashes from a kiln, stood in front of Pharaoh and threw them in the air; and they became infected sores on men and animals. 11 The magicians couldn’t even stand in Moshe’s presence because of the sores, which were on them as well as on the other Egyptians. 12 But Adonai made Pharaoh hardhearted, so that he didn’t listen to them — just as Adonai had said to Moshe.
-------
As Pharaoh remained adamant, the plagues grew more hurtful. They went beyond the powers of
Egypt’s religious experts (cf. Exodus 8:19). And God shielded the Israelites from some of the plagues’ effects (cf. Exodus 8:22, 9:7), making it harder to explain them away as natural events. Yet Pharaoh seemed to treat it all as a sort of game. We can almost imagine him, in modern terms, crossing his fingers behind his back as he made promises to get each plague to end.
• The Scriptural story addressed the conflict in theological terms. But Pharaoh (like the
American South before the Civil War) also faced a major economic problem. Letting a large slave labor force go was very costly. Have you ever faced a moral choice that was likely (or maybe certain) to cost you money? How did you deal with the choice, and how do you feel about the decision(s) you made?
• Pharaoh tried varied compromises (like “worship your God here in the land”—Exodus 8:25) to get the plagues to end without freeing the Hebrews. Have you ever found yourself “negotiating” with God (“what if I do part of what you’re asking, Lord?” or “maybe I could live that way two or three days a week”)? If you believe God only calls you to do things that are for your good (and
you may need to pray about that), then who loses in that kind of negotiation?
Prayer: God of freedom, you would not settle for anything short of seeing your people freed from slavery. You want to set me free spiritually, too. Forgive me when I resist, and keep nudging me toward your ways, where true freedom awaits. Amen.
-------
"Lord Pharaoh kept resisting the LORD, Yahweh"
Wednesday, 31 August 2016
Exodus 9:13 Adonai said to Moshe, “Get up early in the morning, stand before Pharaoh, and say to him, ‘Here is what Adonai says: “Let my people go, so that they can worship me. 14 For this time, I will inflict my plagues on you, yourself, and on your officials and your people; so that you will realize that I am without equal in all the earth. 15 By now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with such severe plagues that you would have been wiped off the earth. 16 But it is for this very reason that I have kept you alive — to show you my power, and so that my name may resound throughout the whole earth. (vii) 17 Since you are still setting yourself up against my people and not letting them go, 18 tomorrow, about this time, I will cause a hailstorm so heavy that Egypt has had nothing like it from the day it was founded until now. 19 Therefore, send and hurry to bring indoors all your livestock and everything else you have in the field. For hail will fall on every human being and animal left in the field that hasn’t been brought home, and they will die.”’”
20 Whoever among Pharaoh’s servants feared what Adonai had said had his slaves and livestock escape into the houses; 21 but those who had no regard for what Adonai had said left their slaves and livestock in the field.
22 Adonai said to Moshe, “Reach out your hand toward the sky, so that there will be hail in all the land of Egypt, falling on people, animals and everything growing in the field, throughout the land of Egypt.” 23 Moshe reached out with his staff toward the sky, and Adonai sent thunder and hail, and fire ran down to the earth. Adonai caused it to hail on the land of Egypt — 24 it hailed, and fire flashed up with the hail; it was terrible, worse than any hailstorm in all of Egypt since it became a nation. 25 Throughout all the land of Egypt, the hail struck everything in the field, people and animals; and the hail struck every plant growing in the field and broke every tree there. 26 But in the land of Goshen, where the people of Isra’el were, there was no hail.
27 Pharaoh summoned Moshe and Aharon and said to them, “This time I have sinned: Adonai is in the right; I and my people are in the wrong. 28 Intercede with Adonai — we can’t take any more of this terrible thunder and hail; and I will let you go, you will stay no longer.” 29 Moshe said to him, “As soon as I have gone out of the city, I will spread out my hands to Adonai; the thunder will end, and there won’t be any more hail — so that you can know that the earth belongs to Adonai. 30 But you and your servants, I know you still won’t fear Adonai, God.” 31 The flax and barley were ruined, because the barley was ripe and the flax in bud. 32 But the wheat and buckwheat were not ruined, because they come up later. (Maftir) 33 Moshe went out of the city, away from Pharaoh, and spread out his hands to Adonai. The thunder and hail ended, and the rain stopped pouring down on the earth. 34 When Pharaoh saw that the rain, hail and thunder had ended, he sinned still more by making himself hardhearted, he and his servants. 35 Pharaoh was made hardhearted, and he didn’t let the people of Isra’el go, just as Adonai had said through Moshe.
10:1 Adonai said to Moshe, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have made him and his servants hardhearted, so that I can demonstrate these signs of mine among them, 2 so that you can tell your son and grandson about what I did to Egypt and about my signs that I demonstrated among them, and so that you will all know that I am Adonai.” 3 Moshe and Aharon went in to Pharaoh and said to him, “Here is what Adonai, God of the Hebrews, says: ‘How much longer will you refuse to submit to me? Let my people go, so that they can worship me. 4 Otherwise, if you refuse to let my people go, tomorrow I will bring locusts into your territory. 5 One won’t be able to see the ground, so completely will the locusts cover it. They will eat anything you still have that escaped the hail, including every tree you have growing in the field. 6 They will fill your houses and those of your servants and of all the Egyptians. It will be like nothing your fathers or their fathers have ever seen since the day they were born until today.’” Then he turned his back and left.
7 Pharaoh’s servants said to him, “How much longer must this fellow be a snare for us? Let the people go and worship Adonai their God. Don’t you understand yet that Egypt is being destroyed?” 8 So Moshe and Aharon were brought to Pharaoh again, and he said to them, “Go, worship Adonai your God. But who exactly is going?” 9 Moshe answered, “We will go with our young and our old, our sons and our daughters; and we will go with our flocks and herds; for we must celebrate a feast to Adonai.” 10 Pharaoh said to them, “Adonai certainly will be with you if I ever let you go with your children! It’s clear that you are up to no good. 11 Nothing doing! Just the men among you may go and worship Adonai. That’s what you want, isn’t it?” And they were driven out of Pharaoh’s presence.
(ii) 12 Adonai said to Moshe, “Reach out your hand over the land of Egypt, so that locusts will invade the land and eat every plant that the hail has left.” 13 Moshe reached out with his staff over the land of Egypt, and Adonai caused an east wind to blow on the land all day and all night; and in the morning the east wind brought the locusts. 14 The locusts went up over all the land of Egypt and settled throughout Egypt’s territory. It was an invasion more severe than there had ever been before or will ever be again. 15 They completely covered the ground, so that the ground looked black. They ate every plant growing from the ground and all the fruit of the trees left by the hail. Not one green thing remained, not a tree and not a plant in the field, in all the land of Egypt.
16 Pharaoh hurried to summon Moshe and Aharon and said, “I have sinned against Adonai your God and against you. 17 Now, therefore, please forgive my sin just this once; and intercede with Adonai your God, so that he will at least take away from me this deadly plague!” 18 He went out from Pharaoh and interceded with Adonai. 19 Adonai reversed the wind and made it blow very strongly from the west. It took up the locusts and drove them into the Sea of Suf; not one locust remained on Egyptian soil. 20 But Adonai made Pharaoh hardhearted, and he didn’t let the people of Isra’el go.
21 Adonai said to Moshe, “Reach out your hand toward the sky, and there will be darkness over the land of Egypt, darkness so thick it can be felt!” 22 Moshe reached out his hand toward the sky, and there was a thick darkness in the entire land of Egypt for three days. 23 People couldn’t see each other, and no one went anywhere for three days. But all the people of Isra’el had light in their homes.
(iii) 24 Pharaoh summoned Moshe and said, “Go, worship Adonai; only leave your flocks and herds behind — your children may go with you.” 25 Moshe answered, “You must also see to it that we have sacrifices and burnt offerings, so that we can sacrifice to Adonai our God. 26 Our livestock will also go with us — not a hoof will be left behind — because we must choose some of them to worship Adonai our God, and we don’t know which ones we will need to worship Adonai until we get there.” 27 But Adonai made Pharaoh hardhearted, and he would not let them go. 28 Pharaoh said to them, “Get away from me! And you had better not see my face again, because the day you see my face, you will die!” 29 Moshe answered, “Well spoken! I will see your face no more.”
-------
Things got so serious that even Pharaoh’s officials begged him: “Let Israel go” (Exodus 10:7). Devastating hail, a locust plague that left “nothing green” in all of Egypt—even the defiant Pharaoh started using religious language: “I’ve sinned against the LORD your God and against you” (Exodus 10:16). But even then, like a rebellious child, as soon as the plague stopped Pharaoh kept trying to fool Moses and Moses’ God with qualified “promises.”
• What are we to make of the statements that “the LORD made Pharaoh stubborn”? If
Pharaoh wanted to obey, wasn’t it unjust for God to force him to disobey? Of course it
would have been. But to believe that, we have to ignore what Jesus and the apostles
taught about God. Jesus prayed for the soldiers who nailed him to the cross (cf. Luke 23:34). James, Jesus’ brother, wrote that God does not tempt anyone to do evil (James 1:13). 2 Peter 3:9 said God is “patient, not wanting anyone to perish but all to change their hearts and lives.” However we understand what the Hebrew historians wrote in Exodus, Jesus revealed a God who would not force Pharaoh (or anyone) to make evil choices. And the really crucial question is, do you believe you serve a God who deals kindly, freely and forgivingly with you?
Prayer: Lord God, Pharaoh didn’t just make bad choices. He clung to them. I make some bad choices, too—but please help me to keep my heart open to your presence and your grace, drawing me toward your way of life and goodness. Amen.
-------
"Passover and Exodus: Israel’s defining story"
Thursday, 1 September 2016
Exodus 11:1 Adonai said to Moshe, “I’m going to bring still one more plague on Pharaoh and Egypt, and after that he will let you leave here. When he does let you go, he will throw you out completely! 2 Now tell the people that every man is to ask his neighbor and every woman her neighbor for gold and silver jewelry.” 3 Adonai made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people. Moreover, Moshe was regarded by Pharaoh’s servants and the people as a very great man in the land of Egypt.
(iv) 4 Moshe said, “Here is what Adonai says: ‘About midnight I will go out into Egypt, 5 and all the firstborn in the land of Egypt will die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh sitting on his throne to the firstborn of the slave-girl at the handmill, and all the firstborn of the livestock. 6 There will be a horrendous wailing throughout all the land of Egypt — there has never been another like it, and there never will be again. 7 But not even a dog’s growl will be heard against any of the people of Isra’el, neither against people nor against animals. In this way you will realize that Adonai distinguishes between Egyptians and Isra’el. 8 All your servants will come down to me, prostrate themselves before me and say, “Get out! — you and all the people who follow you!” and after that, I will go out!’ ” And he went out from Pharaoh in the heat of anger.
12:5 Your animal must be without defect, a male in its first year, and you may choose it from either the sheep or the goats.
6 “‘You are to keep it until the fourteenth day of the month, and then the entire assembly of the community of Isra’el will slaughter it at dusk. 7 They are to take some of the blood and smear it on the two sides and top of the door-frame at the entrance of the house in which they eat it.
12:13 The blood will serve you as a sign marking the houses where you are; when I see the blood, I will pass over [Exodus 12:13 Hebrew: pasach] you — when I strike the land of Egypt, the death blow will not strike you.
12:(v) 21 Then Moshe called for all the leaders of Isra’el and said, “Select and take lambs for your families, and slaughter the Pesach lamb. 22 Take a bunch of hyssop leaves and dip it in the blood which is in the basin, and smear it on the two sides and top of the door-frame. Then, none of you is to go out the door of his house until morning. 23 For Adonai will pass through to kill the Egyptians; but when he sees the blood on the top and on the two sides, Adonai will pass over the door and will not allow the Slaughterer to enter your houses and kill you. 24 You are to observe this as a law, you and your descendants forever.
25 “When you come to the land which Adonai will give you, as he has promised, you are to observe this ceremony. 26 When your children ask you, ‘What do you mean by this ceremony?’ 27 say, ‘It is the sacrifice of Adonai’s Pesach [Passover], because [Adonai] passed over the houses of the people of Isra’el in Egypt, when he killed the Egyptians but spared our houses.’” The people of Isra’el bowed their heads and worshipped. 28 Then the people of Isra’el went and did as Adonai had ordered Moshe and Aharon — that is what they did.
(vi) 29 At midnight Adonai killed all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh sitting on his throne to the firstborn of the prisoner in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of livestock. 30 Pharaoh got up in the night, he, all his servants and all the Egyptians; and there was horrendous wailing in Egypt; for there wasn’t a single house without someone dead in it. 31 He summoned Moshe and Aharon by night and said, “Up and leave my people, both you and the people of Isra’el; and go, serve Adonai as you said. 32 Take both your flocks and your herds, as you said; and get out of here! But bless me, too.” 33 The Egyptians pressed to send the people out of the land quickly, because they said, “Otherwise we’ll all be dead!”
34 The people took their dough before it had become leavened and wrapped their kneading bowls in their clothes on their shoulders. 35 The people of Isra’el had done what Moshe had said — they had asked the Egyptians to give them silver and gold jewelry and clothing; 36 and Adonai had made the Egyptians so favorably disposed toward the people that they had let them have whatever they requested. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.
37 The people of Isra’el traveled from Ra‘amses to Sukkot, some six hundred thousand men on foot, not counting children. 38 A mixed crowd also went up with them, as well as livestock in large numbers, both flocks and herds. 39 They baked matzah loaves from the dough they had brought out of Egypt, since it was unleavened; because they had been driven out of Egypt without time to prepare supplies for themselves.
-------
The emotional impact of firstborn children dying broke through, at least briefly, Pharaoh’s refusal to let the Hebrews go. But the story’s focus was on God’s provision to “pass over” Hebrew children (the origin of the word Passover). Using a hyssop branch to put the blood of a sacrificed lamb on their doorposts delivered them from death into life. This was Israel’s defining story: saved by God’s power, they marched out of Egypt as free people.
• Exodus 12:24-26 was probably written long after that dramatic night of departure from
Egypt. But it fit in the story—it defined the central place this story held in Israel’s faith. They did not see themselves or their children as people whose existence came about because of their own power or ingenuity. They were people God delivered. In what ways do you see yourself, not as a self-made person, but as a person for whom the best parts of life are a gift from God?
• It seems like a trivial detail— “use unleavened bread for the Passover.” But it preserved the memory of a departure so rushed that there wasn’t time to let the bread dough rise, of a moment when God’s people had to respond NOW, not later. Have you ever faced a
situation in which delay was practically the same as refusing to move at all? How can you
live in readiness to respond to God, even if it leads to unexpected changes in your life?
Prayer: God of Passover, I thank you for delivering me from death into life. Help me not to forget your mighty acts on my behalf, but to remember to praise and serve you for saving me. Amen.
-------
"The sea parted—the LORD fought for Israel"
Friday, 2 September 2016
Exodus 14:1 Adonai said to Moshe, 2 “Tell the people of Isra’el to turn around and set up camp in front of Pi-Hachirot, between Migdol and the sea, in front of Ba‘al-Tz’fon; camp opposite it, by the sea. 3 Then Pharaoh will say that the people of Isra’el are wandering aimlessly in the countryside, the desert has closed in on them. 4 I will make Pharaoh so hardhearted that he will pursue them; thus I will win glory for myself at the expense of Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will realize at last that I am Adonai.” The people did as ordered.
5 When the king of Egypt was told that the people had fled, Pharaoh and his servants had a change of heart toward the people. They said, “What have we done, letting Isra’el stop being our slaves?” 6 So he prepared his chariots and took his people with him — 7 he took 600 first-quality chariots, as well as all the other chariots in Egypt, along with their commanders. 8 Adonai made Pharaoh hardhearted, and he pursued the people of Isra’el, as they left boldly. (ii) 9 The Egyptians went after them, all the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, with his cavalry and army, and overtook them as they were encamped by the sea, by Pi-Hachirot, in front of Ba‘al-Tz’fon. 10 As Pharaoh approached, the people of Isra’el looked up and saw the Egyptians right there, coming after them. In great fear the people of Isra’el cried out to Adonai 11 and said to Moshe, “Was it because there weren’t enough graves in Egypt that you brought us out to die in the desert? Why have you done this to us, bringing us out of Egypt? 12 Didn’t we tell you in Egypt to let us alone, we’ll just go on being slaves for the Egyptians? It would be better for us to be the Egyptians’ slaves than to die in the desert!” 13 Moshe answered the people, “Stop being so fearful! Remain steady, and you will see how Adonai is going to save you. He will do it today — today you have seen the Egyptians, but you will never see them again! 14 Adonai will do battle for you. Just calm yourselves down!”
(A: iii) 15 Adonai asked Moshe, “Why are you crying to me? Tell the people of Isra’el to go forward! 16 Lift your staff, reach out with your hand over the sea, and divide it in two. The people of Isra’el will advance into the sea on dry ground. 17 As for me, I will make the Egyptians hardhearted; and they will march in after them; thus I will win glory for myself at the expense of Pharaoh and all his army, chariots and cavalry. 18 Then the Egyptians will realize that I am Adonai, when I have won myself glory at the expense of Pharaoh, his chariots and his cavalry.”
19 Next, the angel of God, who was going ahead of the camp of Isra’el, moved away and went behind them; and the column of cloud moved away from in front of them and stood behind them. 20 It stationed itself between the camp of Egypt and the camp of Isra’el — there was cloud and darkness here, but light by night there; so that the one did not come near the other all night long.
21 Moshe reached his hand out over the sea, and Adonai caused the sea to go back before a strong east wind all night. He made the sea become dry land, and its water was divided in two. 22 Then the people of Isra’el went into the sea on the dry ground, with the water walled up for them on their right and on their left.
23 The Egyptians continued their pursuit, going after them into the sea — all Pharaoh’s horses, chariots and cavalry. 24 Just before dawn, Adonai looked out on the Egyptian army through the column of fire and cloud and threw them into a panic. 25 He caused the wheels of their chariots to break off, so that they could move only with difficulty. The Egyptians said, “Adonai is fighting for Isra’el against the Egyptians! Let’s get away from them!”
(A: iv, S: iii) 26 Adonai said to Moshe, “Reach your hand out over the sea, and the water will return and cover the Egyptians with their chariots and cavalry.” 27 Moshe reached his hand out over the sea, and by dawn the sea had returned to its former depth. The Egyptians tried to flee, but Adonai swept them into the sea.
14:30 On that day, Adonai saved Isra’el from the Egyptians; Isra’el saw the Egyptians dead on the shore. 31 When Isra’el saw the mighty deed that Adonai had performed against the Egyptians, the people feared Adonai, and they believed in Adonai and in his servant Moshe.
15:1 Then Moshe and the people of Isra’el sang this song to Adonai:
“I will sing to Adonai, for he is highly exalted:
the horse and its rider he threw in the sea.
2 Yah is my strength and my song,
and he has become my salvation.
This is my God: I will glorify him;
my father’s God: I will exalt him.
3 Adonai is a warrior;
Adonai is his name.
-------
Many of us have heard that this story happened at the Red Sea. But the original Hebrew said “Reed Sea,” a place we cannot readily identify (but not today’s Red Sea). God gave the Israelites, trapped between the Sea and the Egyptian army, a dry path on which to cross. When the army tried to follow in order to take the Hebrews back to slavery, the waters returned to their place, and the pursuers drowned. Moses and the Israelites sang one of the first hymns in the Bible in honor of God’s deliverance.
• Methodist scholar Maxie Dunnam wrote, “The meaning of the story is not found in the
drowning of the Egyptian soldiers. No one should rejoice at the death or defeat of another human being. Rather, the story symbolizes the death of evil—God’s victory in ‘the struggle between good and evil.’”1 How can you, like Jesus, learn to rejoice in the defeat of evil without hating or rejoicing over the bad fate of the people who’ve gotten caught up in evil?
• Even after all that had happened, the Israelites were still human. When they saw the Egyptian army coming, they were terrified. Moses said, “Don’t be afraid…. The LORD will fight for you. You just keep still.” Do you believe those words apply even in situations in which deliverance is not as instantaneous and “this worldly” as it was for the Israelites? How can you grow in your ability to trust that Israel’s God is firmly on your side, too?
Prayer: O Lord, I thank you that, in the end, your victory is sure. Good will win, and evil will be defeated. Help me to face each day in that Exodus-born confidence. Amen.
1 Maxie Dunnam, The Preacher’s Commentary Series, Volume 2: Exodus. General Editor: Lloyd J. Ogilvie.
Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1987, p. 163.
-------
"Passover is our story, too"
Saturday, 3 September 2016
John 1:29 The next day, Yochanan saw Yeshua coming toward him and said, “Look! God’s lamb! The one who is taking away the sin of the world!
Luke 22:14 When the time came, Yeshua and the emissaries reclined at the table, 15 and he said to them, “I have really wanted so much to celebrate this Seder with you before I die! 16 For I tell you, it is certain that I will not celebrate it again until it is given its full meaning in the Kingdom of God.”
John 19:28 After this, knowing that all things had accomplished their purpose, Yeshua, in order to fulfill the words of the Tanakh, said, “I’m thirsty.” 29 A jar full of cheap sour wine was there; so they soaked a sponge in the wine, coated it with oregano leaves and held it up to his mouth. 30 After Yeshua had taken the wine, he said, “It is accomplished!” And, letting his head droop, he delivered up his spirit.
1 Corinthians 5:6 Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know the saying, “It takes only a little hametz to leaven a whole batch of dough?” 7 Get rid of the old hametz, so that you can be a new batch of dough, because in reality you are unleavened. For our Pesach lamb, the Messiah, has been sacrificed. 8 So let us celebrate the Seder not with leftover hametz, the hametz of wickedness and evil, but with the matzah of purity and truth.
Revelation 15:1 Then I saw another sign in heaven, a great and wonderful one — seven angels with the seven plagues that are the final ones; because with them, God’s fury is finished. 2 I saw what looked like a sea of glass mixed with fire. Those defeating the beast, its image and the number of its name were standing by the sea of glass, holding harps which God had given them. 3 They were singing the song of Moshe, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb:
“Great and wonderful are the things you have done,
    Adonai, God of heaven’s armies![Revelation 15:3 Amos 3:13, 4:13]
Just and true are your ways,
    king of the nations!
4 Adonai, who will not fear and glorify your name?
    because you alone are holy.
All nations will come and worship before you,
    for your righteous deeds have been revealed.”
-------
The Exodus might just be an interesting story from 1400 years ago that explained one of the
quaint customs of our devout Jewish neighbors. But the story of Jesus and his disciples was saturated with images and extensions of the Exodus story. Jesus expanded the meaning of a Passover seder into the Lord’s Supper, the Communion service Christians around the world take part in. The apostle Paul conveyed the good news of salvation by saying that Jesus, God’s Passover lamb, freed us from sin and death by shedding his blood. And Revelation, the
Bible’s last book, described the victory song of God’s faithful people as “the song of
Moses…and the Lamb.” The Exodus and the Passover are our story.
• For some of us, the Exodus story immediately rings true with our life experience. We know what held us captive, and we know how God’s power has set us free. For others of us, the connection may be more obscure. We may have grown up religious, in comfortable, respectable homes—we may find it hard to identify with the experience of a slave people marching out to freedom. How easy or hard is it for you to identify with the Exodus experience of the people of Israel? If it’s hard, spend time asking God to help you identify the subtler inner forces that try to enslave all humans, even you, spiritually. If it’s easy, join Moses and the redeemed in singing a song of praise to the Lamb who has saved you!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, our Passover Lamb, my Passover lamb, thank you for offering yourself to save me. Walk with me each day, helping me to live as a truly redeemed subject of your kingdom. Amen.
Family Activity: People can bring God’s hope and healing to others by comforting them in
times of fear, concern and worry. As a family, share ideas about how you can work with God to bring comfort and care to others. Discuss each person’s unique gifts and abilities. How can those be used to comfort others? How can those same gifts be combined with those of other family members to care and help? Use construction paper to create the symbol of a heart. On it, write or draw the gifts of each person. Also write or draw about how each gift can help to comfort people who are sad or lonely. Pray together, asking God to help guide you to use your
ideas and gifts. Thank God for giving them to you. Display your family’s “heart” as a reminder to comfort others.
-------
Prayer Requests – cor.org/prayer
Prayers for Peace & Comfort for:
• Bob Wesp and family on the death of his mother Rose Mary Wesp, 8/21
• Jerry Lesjack and family in the death of his sister Anne Barraco, 8/20
• Laura Mathews and family on the death of her grandmother Clara Hendrickson, 8/15
• Claudia Ryan and family on the death of her mother June Johanna Gengler, 8/17
• Family and friends on the death of Dawn Swenson on her death, 8/14
• Doyle Blanton and family on the death of his brother W.C. Blanton, 8/10
• Maribeth King and family on the death of her mother Esther King, 8/8
• Steve Matusek and family on the death of his father John Matusek, 8/7
-------
Join us for worship today - click here for information on worship times and locations. If you are not in the Kansas City area, you can take part in our worship via live Web stream at rezonline.org.
Download a printable version of this week's GPS.

-------
Download the GPS App

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue

Leawood, Kansas 66224, United States 
913.897.0120
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment