Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "WHEN WE ARE OVERWHELMED" for Wednesday, 31 August 2016 with Scripture: 1 Peter 5:5-7

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "WHEN WE ARE OVERWHELMED" for Wednesday, 31 August 2016 with Scripture: 1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, you who are less experienced, submit to leaders. Further, all of you should clothe yourselves in humility toward one another, because
God opposes the arrogant,
but to the humble he gives grace.[1 Peter 5:5 Proverbs 3:34]
6 Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, so that at the right time he may lift you up. 7 Throw all your anxieties upon him, because he cares about you.
-------
The Lord says, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you.”[Isaiah 43:2 (NRSV)]
Sometimes I am overwhelmed — by too much change in a short amount of time or too many projects half done or too many conflicts unresolved. I’ve found that when I get truly overwhelmed I can get to the point of not doing much of anything because I am unable to do everything.
In a church I was pastoring many years ago, I felt that way. A good friend noticed, took me aside and said, “This parish didn’t get this way in a month or a year. You can’t do everything, especially right away. Do what you can and give the rest a nod and a prayer.”
At first, I thought perhaps this advice did not take the situation seriously; but the more I thought on it, the better I understood. A nod and a prayer was and is fitting advice for overwhelming situations. A nod indicates that we see the problem; we are not turning a blind eye to it or ignoring it. That problem will just have to wait its turn. A prayer says that for the moment we are leaving it in the hands of God. Perhaps God has another servant equipped and better prepared for the challenge. With a nod and a prayer, we allow ourselves and others to answer God’s call to do the work set before us.
The Author: Michael Sanders (Michigan, USA)
Thought for the Day: What is God calling me to let go of today?
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for helping us when we feel overwhelmed. Help us to remember that not every task is ours alone to complete. Amen.
Prayer focus: HUMILITY TO ASK FOR HELP
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment