Friday, February 28, 2014

Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “Wise Child or Wild Child” - Friday, 28 February 2014 – Scripture – Proverbs 10

Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “Wise Child or Wild Child” - Friday, 28 February 2014 – Scripture – Proverbs 10:1 The proverbs of Solomon.
A wise son makes a glad father;
    but a foolish son brings grief to his mother.
2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing,
    but righteousness delivers from death.
3 Yahweh will not allow the soul of the righteous to go hungry,
    but he thrusts away the desire of the wicked.
4 He becomes poor who works with a lazy hand,
    but the hand of the diligent brings wealth.
5 He who gathers in summer is a wise son,
    but he who sleeps during the harvest is a son who causes shame.
6 Blessings are on the head of the righteous,
    but violence covers the mouth of the wicked.
7 The memory of the righteous is blessed,
    but the name of the wicked will rot.
8 The wise in heart accept commandments,
    but a chattering fool will fall.
9 He who walks blamelessly walks surely,
    but he who perverts his ways will be found out.
10 One winking with the eye causes sorrow,
    but a chattering fool will fall.
11 The mouth of the righteous is a spring of life,
    but violence covers the mouth of the wicked.
12 Hatred stirs up strife,
    but love covers all wrongs.
“Wise Child or Wild Child” by Duane C. Brush
We have insurance, retirement plans, pensions and savings, the ancient people had sons. A son was the greatest physical assurance that a family would continue and that its elderly and infirm members would be properly cared for. A wise son, like a wise investment, yielded great rewards, a foolish son brought grief to his mother and everyone else.
Throughout Proverbs we see the wise and foolish held in contrast. The “wise son” is one who respects and honors God, one who chooses wisely and carefully according to God’s Word, one who takes his responsibilities seriously, and one who is a good steward of the family assets. The “foolish son” gives little thought beyond his own pleasure, has no regard for the laws of God or society, is swift to act and slow to think, and has never heard a quarrel or saw a fight he could stay out of.
You don’t have to be a son to be foolish or wise. Sons were traditionally born into a place of privilege, authority, and responsibility. To squander this gift we have been given, particularly to the detriment of those who have placed their trust in us, becomes the very definition of foolishness.
Hymn for Today:
“I Would Be True” by Howard A. Walter
1. I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
2. I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.
3. I would be faithful through each passing moment;
I would be constantly in touch with God;
I would be strong to follow where He leads me;
I would have faith to keep the path Christ trod.
4. Who is so low that I am not his brother?
Who is so high that I’ve no path to him?
Who is so poor I may not feel his hunger?
Who is so rich I may not pity him?
5. Who is so hurt I may not know his heartache?
Who sings for joy my heart may never share?
Who in God’s heav’n has passed beyond my vision?
Who to hell’s depths where I may never fare?
6. May none, then, call on me for understanding,
May none, then, turn to me for help in pain,
And drain alone his bitter cup of sorrow,
Or find he knocks upon my heart in vain.
Thought for Today:
“The father of the righteous has great joy. Whoever fathers a wise child delights in him. Let your father and your mother be glad! Let her who bore you rejoice!” (Proverbs 23:24-25).
Prayer Needs:
Developing Christian leaders in Australia!
-------
WordAction Publishing Company
Beacon Hill Press
Nazarene Publishing Company
2500 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64108 United States

-------

No comments:

Post a Comment