Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Trinity United Methodist Church (Gainesville, Florida) Daily Scripture - Wednesday, 26 February 2014 - Devotion "At the Heart"

Trinity United Methodist Church (Gainesville, Florida) Daily Scripture - Wednesday, 26 February 2014 - Devotion "At the Heart"
The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but The Lord looks at the heart (I Samuel 16: 7)
These are the words Samuel said as he prepared to anoint David (the least imposing of the brothers).  Instead of my words today, I'm going to use a devotional that my wife, Jan, recently wrote; it is so good and to this point.  I'm confident you will agree.  Here it is:
As I was eating a delicious grapefruit one morning, this scripture began to float into my thoughts.  The first one I had pulled out of our fridge was bright, yellow, cold, and inside filled with an unbelievable amount of seeds.  This second one had been in a bowl outside the fridge, was a bit smaller and the skin had some dark marks on it that made it appear less appealing.  But when I cut it in half, I discovered juicy, pink flesh and hardly any seeds.  What a delightful, tasty surprise!  As I tried the first bite, I knew in an instant that, despite its "appearance," this grapefruit was the one I wanted.  I did not need to add honey or sugar for it was so very sweet on its own.  I relished each bite and pondered the distinct difference between the two grapefruits, and the deeper reality that you really can't tell something from outward appearances.
I believe when Christ lives within our hearts and we are changed from the inside out, there is sweetness to our actions.  On the outside, one may not notice at first the vine that we abide in, but eventually our attitudes, values, words and actions reveal the inner truth that only Christ Jesus brings to the fruit in our lives.    Amen.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment