Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Upper Room Daily Devotional Guide "Dancing to God" Wednesday, 26 February 2014 - Read 2 Samuel 6:12-22

The Upper Room Daily Devotional Guide "Dancing to God" Wednesday, 26 February 2014 - Read 2 Samuel 6:12 King David was told, “Yahweh has blessed the house of Obed-Edom, and all that belongs to him, because of God’s ark.”
So David went and brought up God’s ark from the house of Obed-Edom into David’s city with joy. 13 When those who bore Yahweh’s ark had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fattened calf. 14 David danced before Yahweh with all his might; and David was clothed in a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up Yahweh’s ark with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.
16 As Yahweh’s ark came into David’s city, Michal the daughter of Saul looked out through the window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before Yahweh; and she despised him in her heart. 17 They brought in Yahweh’s ark, and set it in its place, in the middle of the tent that David had pitched for it; and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before Yahweh. 18 When David had finished offering the burnt offering and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of Yahweh of Armies. 19 He gave to all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, both to men and women, to everyone a portion of bread, dates, and raisins. So all the people departed, each to his own house. 20 Then David returned to bless his household. Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, “How glorious the king of Israel was today, who uncovered himself today in the eyes of the servants of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!”
21 David said to Michal, “It was before Yahweh, who chose me above your father, and above all his house, to appoint me prince over the people of Yahweh, over Israel. Therefore I will celebrate before Yahweh. 22 I will be yet more vile than this, and will be base in my own sight. But of the servants of whom you have spoken, they will honor me.”
David said, “I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes.”--2 Samuel 6:21-22 (NIV)
While my family lived overseas, we attended an international church. We were all committed followers of Christ but came from different countries and church backgrounds. One woman’s way of expressing her love for Christ was an example of our different approaches to worship. During the music, she went to the back of the congregation; and with tambourine in hand, she started to dance while the rest of us sang. I was bothered the first time I saw her do this. I wondered what she was doing and felt uncomfortable because dancing was not part of my idea of worship. My initial thoughts about her dancing were similar to Michal’s response when she saw David dancing before God. I saw dancing as undignified and inappropriate for a worship service. Michal told David her feelings. After reading David’s response, I realized that the dancing woman expressed her devotion to God by giving herself and her gifts to God without reservation. She didn’t care what people thought; she worshiped God with all her mind, power, and soul. I want to do the same.--The Author-Matthew L. Reger (Ohio, USA)
Thought for the Day: Is God my sole focus during worship?
Prayer: Dear God, help us to make pleasing you the focus of our worship. Amen.
Prayer focus: To worship God without reservation
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment