Friday, February 28, 2014

Upper Room Daily Devotional - "Tired Legs" Friday, 28 February 2014 - Read Matthew 11:28-30

Upper Room Daily Devotional - "Tired Legs" Friday, 28 February 2014 - Read Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”--Matthew 11:28 (NIV)
We packed up the campsite. Then my five-year-old daughter, Alison, and I hoofed it down the mountain to the fishing hole. I was awed by the majesty of God’s creation. The towering pines stood as sentries, allowing us to catch a glimpse of the magnificent panorama below. Without averting my gaze, I said to Alison, “Isn’t this beautiful?” “Well,” she said, “not when your legs are tired.” I realized that while my eyes were lifted in awe, Alison’s eyes were fixed on the difficult path. We all have times when our “legs are so tired” that we can’t see the beauty around us. The wearisome path of life may involve dealing with a difficult relationship, caring for an aged parent, struggling through loss, attempting to juggle too many responsibilities, or trying to stay afloat financially. Whatever lies on the difficult path, Christ bids us, “Come to me.” When we come to God in prayer and daily Bible reading, we learn from the Spirit and we feel God’s hand lifting our chin upward, taking the focus off our tired legs and allowing us to marvel at the magnificent beauty surrounding us. The difficult path will remain, but our perspective will change and we will be blessed by the view.--The Author-Gina Bylsma (California, USA)
Thought for the Day: To see a picture of Gina and Allison, go to devotional.upperroom.org/blog.
Prayer: Thank you, God, for lifting our burdens and giving rest to our souls. Help us to fix our eyes on you, through Jesus Christ, whose sacrifice gives us peace. Amen.
Prayer focus: Those who have tired legs
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment