Friday, February 28, 2014

In Real Life "Interfaith Shelter" by Brenda Blake, Director of Church and Community Work at First Church for Friday, 28 February 2014

In Real Life "Interfaith Shelter" by Brenda Blake, Director of Church and Community Work at First Church for Friday, 28 February 2014
"for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me"--Matthew 25:35
It has only been a few days since our Interfaith Shelter guests have left our campus and moved onto their next location. So as I sit writing this I am still in a bit of my after shelter fog. This happens to me every year after we take care of the business of closing out the shelter and tying up loose ends. It’s kind of hard to describe, I feel physically and emotionally drained and yet at the same time a very deep spiritual peace seems to settle into the core of my whole being.  
I think about the things that went well, and the things that could have gone better from an organizational perspective, but there are always two things that I find myself reflecting on that are more important to name. 
The first is I have the privilege of witnessing members of our congregation selflessly living out their faith in both word and action. I see them welcoming our guests with warmth and hospitality. Sharing home cooked meals, bringing flowers to brighten up the dinner table, donating socks, sweaters, coats, and sleeping bags to ensure our guests our well fed, comfortable, and warm during their stay.  Providing a listening ear without passing judgment, responding with warmth and kindness and offering words of encouragement. These acts of loving compassion help to fill our guests with feelings of self-worth and value and give them a sense of renewed hope for their future. And the second thing I reflect on is the transformation I witness in some of the guests once they are recipients of this hospitality and are provided with a safe place to sleep, shower, and eat. Their spirits have been lifted and this provides the space for them to be able to focus on their goals of moving toward self-sufficiency and permanent housing.
Many of our guests who left here this past Sunday have not yet been able to find permanent housing. I will continue to offer up prayers for God to help them and the many others who are homeless and hungry in our own community and around the world. Won’t you join me in praying for all people everywhere who are in need of food and shelter?--Brenda Blake, Director of Church and Community Work at First Church
-------
First United Methodist Church of San Diego
2111 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment