Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Nashville, Tennessee, United States - The Upper Room Daily Devotional "The Clandestine Christian" for Tuesday, 30 September 2014 - Read John 19:39-42


issue coverNashville, Tennessee, United States - The Upper Room Daily Devotional "The Clandestine Christian" for Tuesday, 30 September 2014 - Read John 19:39-42 Nicodemus, who had first come to Jesus at night, came now in broad daylight carrying a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. They took Jesus’ body and, following the Jewish burial custom, wrapped it in linen with the spices. There was a garden near the place he was crucified, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been placed. So, because it was Sabbath preparation for the Jews and the tomb was convenient, they placed Jesus in it.
Jesus said, “I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God.”(Luke 12:8 (NIV))
Before Jesus’ death, Nicodemus was a clandestine Jesus-follower. As a member of the Jewish council, he held great political influence. Perhaps because Nicodemus feared a loss of position and power if others were to learn about his devotion to Jesus, he communicated with Jesus only under the cover of darkness.
Surprisingly, after Jesus’ death, Nicodemus brought close to 100 pounds of spices to the tomb to help Joseph of Arimathea prepare Jesus’ body for burial. Such a large amount of myrrh and aloes would be difficult to conceal, but at that point Nicodemus seemed unafraid for his connection to Jesus to become known. Why, after Jesus had died, would a man of Nicodemus’ standing risk his reputation and job security? I think Nicodemus was emboldened because he believed that Jesus was the Messiah.
Like Nicodemus, I sometimes find myself reluctant to proclaim my belief in the Lord, worrying, What will people think? I pray God will give me the courage to boldly live out my faith. After all, Jesus gave up his earthly life when he died on the cross for me.
The Author: Tammy Kennington (Colorado)
Thought for the Day: In what ways can I show others my devotion to Christ today?
Prayer: God of encouragement, give us the boldness to proclaim your sacrifice that others might learn of your love. Amen.
Prayer focus: To remain steadfast in faith
__________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment