Monday, September 29, 2014

Stephem M. Miller for Monday 29 September 2014 "Why 'Asher' Didn't Make My List"

Stephem M. Miller for Monday 29 September 2014 "Why 'Asher' Didn't Make My List"
Bible blog of award-winning bestselling
Christian author, Stephen M. Miller.

Why “Asher” didn’t make my list

map of the 12 tribes of Israel
ASHER’S TRIBE. These particular sons of Jacob didn’t get much land. But what they got was primo. A beachfront view to the west, and mountains to the northeast. That land was some of Israel’s best farmland – it was great for growing grapes. Today, the biggest city in the area is Haifa, perched on the coast in what used to be the tribe’s southern tip. Map relief by Rani Calvo, rendered by Stephen M. Miller.
YOU DON’T WANT TO DISAPPOINT A KID.
But I did.
I gave a book to a boy who had a name from the Bible. I should have known better.
Here’s the problem. The book was about the most important people and places in the Bible: Who’s Who & Where’s Where in the Bible for Kids. And this boy’s name didn’t make the cut.
It’s the Bible question of the week. It comes from Asher Kenney.
Why isn’t my name in the book you gave me?
Asher gets another free book for asking the question. This book has his name and it: Illustrated Bible Dictionary.
I knew Asher’s mom and dad before he had a name. I remember seeing his mom in church one day when she was pregnant with what she knew was a little boy. I asked her what she was going to name him.
“Asher,” she said.
“Oh, one of the 12 tribes of Israel,” I said.
She smiled at me and said, “You’re the only person so far who has made that connection.”
I wasn’t sure if that should make me feel good or odd.
I chose good.
Asher, the reason your name did not make the list for Who’s Who & Where’s Where in the Bible for Kids is because his story in the Bible is so short. And there are lots of people whose stories are long. So I had to pick those people we knew most about because they had a lot of fun and interesting things going on in their lives.
Not that Asher didn’t. But nobody wrote it down. Perhaps they were too busy having a good time.
Let me tell you what we do know. This is taken from the Illustrated Bible Dictionary.
Asher
1800s BC
The sons of Zilpah, Lean’s servant, were Gad and Asher. Genesis 35:26
  • One of Jacob’s 12 sons
  • Father of the Jewish tribes of Asher
SON OF A SURROGATE mother, Asher was the product of what sounds like a baby-making contest in Jacob’s family.
Jacob’s two wives were sisters Leah and Rachel, each competing for his affection by giving him sons. Each offered him not only their bodies, but the bodies of their personal servants as well. Asher’s birth mother was Leah’s servant, Zilpah. But according to the custom of the day, Asher belonged to Jacob and Leah.
When Jacob led the Jews back home from slavery in Egypt, Asher’s descendants got a small but fertile swath of land along what is now Israel’s northern coast. The land is perfect for growing olives and grapes, two of Israel’s most important crops.
share on TwitterLike Why “Asher” didn’t make my list on Facebook

600-year-old Gabriel

God’s top angel Gabriel shows up by name four times in the Bible, spanning almost 600 years. First he helps the prophet Daniel understand some visions, including one about “the Anointed One,” (Daniel 9:25). Later, he tells a young Mary that she will give birth to the Anointed One, “the Son of the Most High,” (Luke 1:32 NLT). Who’s Who and Where’s Where in the Bible 2.0, p. 146.
The post 600-year-old Gabriel appeared first on Stephen M. Miller.

share on TwitterLike 600-year-old Gabriel on Facebook
Recent Articles:
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment