Friday, October 31, 2014

Trinity United Methodist Church Daily Scripture Email Devotion for Friday, 31 October 2014 "Philippians 4:17"

Trinity United Methodist Church Daily Scripture Email Devotion for Friday, 31 October 2014 "Philippians 4:17"
Philippians 4:17 "Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek the profit which increases to your account."
On occasions when I ask someone where they worship, I often get the response: "All they do is ask for money!" I answer, "So, YOU don't need money?" Of course they do and so does the church if it is to do the work that could change the world. 
In this letter of Paul, I believe he is saying that the gift of the giver ultimately benefits them more than the recipient. Some years ago a wise mentor of mine taught me that giving and receiving are the same.
Oswald Chambers wrote a series of lessons to teach his seminary students. After his untimely death, they were compiled into the excellent classic devotional, "My Utmost for His Highest". I tell you this to explain that I feel very much at my"highest" when I am my most generous. Don't you?
I hope God doesn't have an account in my name for the many sins, but I think He may be joyful when I obey Him in generosity.
Read Philippians 4:15-20 for more context. 
Philippians 4:15-17 You Philippians well know, and you can be sure I’ll never forget it, that when I first left Macedonia province, venturing out with the Message, not one church helped out in the give-and-take of this work except you. You were the only one. Even while I was in Thessalonica, you helped out—and not only once, but twice. Not that I’m looking for handouts, but I do want you to experience the blessing that issues from generosity.
18-20 And now I have it all—and keep getting more! The gifts you sent with Epaphroditus were more than enough, like a sweet-smelling sacrifice roasting on the altar, filling the air with fragrance, pleasing God no end. You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus. Our God and Father abounds in glory that just pours out into eternity. Yes.
Randy Caton
-- 
-- 
--
Welcome to the new Trinity United Methodist Church's Daily Scripture Email system.
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment