Friday, November 28, 2014

Nashville, Tennessee, United States - The Upper Room Daily Devotional “Our Personal Best” for Friday, 28 November 2014 - Scripture: Philippians 3:10-14

issue cover
Nashville, Tennessee, United States - The Upper Room Daily Devotional Our Personal Best” for Friday, 28 November 2014 - Scripture: Philippians 3:10-11 I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience his resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself. If there was any way to get in on the resurrection from the dead, I wanted to do it.
Focused on the Goal
12-14 I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.
Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”(John 15:5 (NIV))
I enjoy watching track and field events. Especially exciting for me are the races: the tension of waiting for the starting gun, the sight of each runner straining toward the finish line. It is satisfying to cheer for the winners as they stand to receive their awards. We also cheer for the athletes who record a personal best time, even if they did not win. We celebrate with them as they realize they have done better than ever before.
Similarly, in our Christian discipleship, we can aspire to serve God more fully each day. As we live in fellowship with our Lord, we can strive to make each day our personal best for him. After all, Jesus speaks of our living in him, becoming branches of his vine, drawing nourishment from him and producing lasting fruit. We can bring all our energies to bear as we run toward the goal of becoming truly one with Jesus.
The Author: Bill Willis (New South Wales, Australia)
Thought for the Day: Today I will give my personal best for God.
Prayer: Gracious God, help us this day to do our very best for you. Amen.
Prayer focus: Competitive runners

No comments:

Post a Comment