Saturday, January 31, 2015

Lutheran Seminary's God Pause "Moved by the Promise" Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, 31 January 2015 - "My Life Flows On in Endless Song" ELW 763

Lutheran Seminary's God Pause "Moved by the Promise" Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, 31 January 2015 - "My Life Flows On in Endless Song" ELW 763
1. My life flows on in endless song;
above earth's lamentation,
I catch the sweet, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.
Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging.
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
how can I keep from singing?
2. Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing.
It finds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?
Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging.
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
how can I keep from singing?
3. What though my joys and comforts die?
The Lord my Savior liveth.
What though the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
 Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging.
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
how can I keep from singing?
4. The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
a fountain ever springing!
All things are mine since I am his!
How can I keep from singing?
Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging.
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
how can I keep from singing?
Joseph Gelineau, a French priest who composed chants for the Taize community said, "The Christian faith was born singing, and it has never ceased to sing." Martin Luther wrote, "Next to the word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world. It controls our hearts and minds and spirits." Truly, music has a way of capturing our thoughts and springing from our mouths. 
In this season of the church year, we hear about God's incarnation and epiphany. What are we going to do? We are going to sing: sometimes beautifully, sometimes poorly, sometimes happily and sometimes sadly, but we will sing. Silence is contrary to all that we know and feel.
We sing, even when all of our joys and comforts die, because Christ lives.
We sing when we are in trouble, to remind us of the one who can stop the tumult and strife.
We sing when we are refreshed and our faith is validated. The answer to the hymn's question is this: we cannot keep from singing!
Thank you, gracious God, for the gifts of music and joy. May our songs be eagerly offered and well received! Amen.
Wendell Debner
Director Emeritus, Doctor of Ministry Program, Luther Seminary 
Bachelor of Divinity , 1966
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment