Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 25 September 2018 - Psalm 19:7-14

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 25 September 2018 - Psalm 19:7-14
Psalm 19:7 (6) It rises at one side of the sky,
circles around to the other side,
and nothing escapes its heat.
8 (7) The Torah of Adonai is perfect,
restoring the inner person.
The instruction of Adonai is sure,
making wise the thoughtless.
9 (8) The precepts of Adonai are right,
rejoicing the heart.
The mitzvah of Adonai is pure,
enlightening the eyes.
10 (9) The fear of Adonai is clean,
enduring forever.
The rulings of Adonai are true,
they are righteous altogether,
11 (10) more desirable than gold,
than much fine gold,
also sweeter than honey
or drippings from the honeycomb.
12 (11) Through them your servant is warned;
in obeying them there is great reward.
13 (12) Who can discern unintentional sins?
Cleanse me from hidden faults.
14 (13) Also keep your servant from presumptuous sins,
so that they won’t control me.
Then I will be blameless
and free of great offense.
15 (14) May the words of my mouth
and the thoughts of my heart
be acceptable in your presence,
Adonai, my Rock and Redeemer.
(Complete Jewish Bible.)
***
"I ask the church to please pray with me. Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable to you, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer." This variation on Psalm 19:14 is how I begin my sermons. These words serve as a prayer that my proclamation will be faithful and that those gathered will be open to the word they are about to hear.
Today we hear the psalmist's words of instruction and promise. Verses 7-9 remind us of God's instruction for us--instruction for our well-being and the benefits that instruction provides. Verses 10-13 are our promise and prayer back to God. The psalmist's prayer is that the faithful will do all they can to live a life following God's instruction. Yet, we know we will stumble, we will fall, we will need redeeming. So it is our prayer that when we do, we will know that the Lord is right there reviving our soul.
Lord, give us the strength and courage to follow your life-giving instructions. Yet, when we stray and misstep, may we quickly turn back to you, our rock and our redeemer. Amen.
René L. Mehlberg, '18
Pastor, Trinity Lutheran Church, Laporte, Minn.
Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the Lord are sure, making wise the simple;
8 the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is clear, enlightening the eyes;
9 the fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
12 But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults.
13 Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
(New Revised Standard Version).
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment