Monday, March 31, 2014

Nashville, Tennessee, United States - The Upper Room Daily Devotional "Monday Mornings" Monday, 31 March 2014 - Read Matthew 14:22-33

Nashville, Tennessee, United States - The Upper Room Daily Devotional "Monday Mornings" Monday, 31 March 2014 - Read Matthew 14:22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat, and to go ahead of him to the other side, while he sent the multitudes away. 23 After he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into the mountain by himself to pray. When evening had come, he was there alone. 24 But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, distressed by the waves, for the wind was contrary. 25 In the fourth watch of the night,[a] Jesus came to them, walking on the sea.[b] 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It’s a ghost!” and they cried out for fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying “Cheer up! It is I![c] Don’t be afraid.”
28 Peter answered him and said, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the waters.”
29 He said, “Come!”
Peter stepped down from the boat, and walked on the waters to come to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was strong, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand, took hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got up into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 Those who were in the boat came and worshiped him, saying, “You are truly the Son of God!”
Footnotes:
a. Matthew 14:25 The night was equally divided into four watches, so the fourth watch is approximately 3:00 A. M. to sunrise.
b. Matthew 14:25 see Job 9:8
c. Matthew 14:27 or, I AM!
Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught [Peter], saying to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”--Matthew 14:31 (NRSV)
Peter had doubts. That’s why he started to sink. But when he had faith, he was walking on water! I am learning that when we have faith, we, too, can do amazing things. When I first started my Monday morning choir club in a small Ukrainian town, I had some doubts about my ability to conduct such a club. And, of course, when I first thought about becoming a volunteer English teacher in a country far from home, I had even more doubts. But I felt that volunteering would open doors for me to share God’s love with new people. So, I decided to have faith in God and follow the call to Ukraine. Monday is becoming my favorite day of the week. I have so much fun singing and dancing that sometimes I think I may be more excited about it than my fifth graders. With God’s love and mercy, we can find the strength and courage to step out in faith and do extraordinary things.
The Author: Krystle Ames (Crimea, Ukraine)
Thought for the Day: When I respond to God’s call, any day can be a blessing.
Prayer: Dear Father, help us to have faith in you so that we, together with you, can do amazing things with our lives, as we pray, “Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.”*Amen. *Luke 11:2-4 (NIV).
Prayer focus: Volunteers serving far from home
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment