Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Leawood, Kansas, United States - The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection Daily Guide grow. pray. study. for Wednesday, 30 July 2014 "Love: life’s greatest gift and accomplishment"

Leawood, Kansas, United States - The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection Daily Guide grow. pray. study. for Wednesday, 30 July 2014 "Love: life’s greatest gift and accomplishment"
Daily Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:24-13:3
Reflection Questions:
In the Greek and Roman cultures of New Testament times, humility was “not considered a virtue … but was viewed as weakness” (Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments). It’s not shocking that new Christians in Corinth clashed about whose gift made them most important in the church. This well-known passage wasn’t about love as an abstract value. Paul told his converts that no gift, no ability not guided by love had any lasting value.
Paul wrote this lovely description: “If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part gets the glory, all the parts celebrate with it. You are the body of Christ and parts of each other” (12:26-27). Think about groups you’ve been part of where this kind of love and mutual caring existed, and where it did not. How did the presence or absence of this kind of love affect the group’s success in accomplishing its mission? Which group was more likely to attract other gifted people to join in its work?
The ancient Greeks and Romans saw humility in relation to others as a weakness, not a virtue. Would you say our culture’s values are substantially different? As you reflect on the attitudes you see in films, music, politics or sports, in what ways (down deep) do we continue to be a lot like those ancient peoples? How easy or hard do you find it to celebrate with someone else who is receiving praise for using gifts and abilities well?
Today's Prayer:
Lord Jesus, I want to make a difference in the world, to be a force for good. Grow in me the love and humility that will allow my gifts and abilities to truly bless others and build your kingdom, not mine. Amen
Insight from Angela LaVallie
Angela_LaVallieAngela_LaVallieAngela LaVallie is the Worship Logistics Program Director at Resurrection. She oversees preparing the Sanctuary for worship, supports Vibe worship and volunteers in the Student Center, provides oversight for Holy Communion at the Leawood campus, and assists with worship logistics at conferences.
Verse 26 of today’s passage of scripture says, “If one part [of the body of Christ] suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.”
I think that, in theory, this sounds like an ideal community of people, but I know I certainly don’t live this out nearly as fully as I would like. No one wants to suffer, and if we can choose to avoid suffering by not suffering alongside others who are suffering, why wouldn’t we? It’s is far easier to empathize with someone, to offer condolences or kind words, and to say a prayer for someone than it is to actually get involved, to care enough to put ourselves in a place where we don’t really want to be so we can show love and support to those who are suffering.
The second part of this verse when Paul writes about celebrating others’ successes sounds easier to me than the part about suffering with others, but I think I struggle just as much (if not more so) here. My small group is currently doing a study about King David, and we recently read a section in the book we’re using where the author discussed envy and used King Saul’s jealousy of David as an extreme example. Saul first became jealous of David when, after a battle, people were comparing the two men’s successes on the battlefield and found David more successful. From that point on, King Saul was intimidated by David and afraid he would usurp the throne. He spent the rest of his reign attempting to end David’s life. I wonder how different both of their live might have been and how much more God might have been glorified had Saul seen David’s potential to serve alongside him and celebrated his successes.
When others around me are recognized and celebrated, I sometimes find myself feeling a little envious and will compare myself to them – as if I have to justify to myself that I am not necessarily better than but just as good as they are. And what is the point in that? Once I had a coworker whose responsibilities had not been taken care of as smoothly as she had planned. I thought about how much better of a job I would have done, and that made me feel pretty good about myself…for a little while. Soon, I started feeling a little ashamed for even thinking that. Why couldn’t I have celebrated the things she had done well and helped her in the areas where she was struggling?
I don’t have an answer for how we get better about suffering and rejoicing with one another, but I certainly think it’s something we all need to keep in mind and strive to grow in.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment