Sunday, July 27, 2014

Kansas City, Missouri, United States - Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “What is That to You?” – Sunday, 27 July 2014 - Scripture: Matthew 20:17-28

Link to Reflecting God - Embrace Holy LivingKansas City, Missouri, United States - Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “What is That to You?” – Sunday, 27 July 2014 - Scripture: Matthew 20:17-28
To Drink from the Cup
17-19 Jesus, now well on the way up to Jerusalem, took the Twelve off to the side of the road and said, “Listen to me carefully. We are on our way up to Jerusalem. When we get there, the Son of Man will be betrayed to the religious leaders and scholars. They will sentence him to death. They will then hand him over to the Romans for mockery and torture and crucifixion. On the third day he will be raised up alive.”
20 It was about that time that the mother of the Zebedee brothers came with her two sons and knelt before Jesus with a request.
21 “What do you want?” Jesus asked.
She said, “Give your word that these two sons of mine will be awarded the highest places of honor in your kingdom, one at your right hand, one at your left hand.”
22 Jesus responded, “You have no idea what you’re asking.” And he said to James and John, “Are you capable of drinking the cup that I’m about to drink?”
They said, “Sure, why not?”
23 Jesus said, “Come to think of it, you are going to drink my cup. But as to awarding places of honor, that’s not my business. My Father is taking care of that.”
24-28 When the ten others heard about this, they lost their tempers, thoroughly disgusted with the two brothers. So Jesus got them together to settle things down. He said, “You’ve observed how godless rulers throw their weight around, how quickly a little power goes to their heads. It’s not going to be that way with you. Whoever wants to be great must become a servant. Whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave. That is what the Son of Man has done: He came to serve, not be served—and then to give away his life in exchange for the many who are held hostage.”
“What is that to You?” by Lisa Mueller
I’ve always thought Jesus probably could have answered most questions in the Bible with one answer, “What is that to you? You must follow me” (John 21:22b). That is one of my favorite verses.
Mothers always look out for their sons, don’t they? That is certainly true of the mother of Zebedee’s sons, but it also appears that the boys were in agreement with her. Jesus uses the common understanding of what it means to be great to teach everyone, even the other disciples, a lesson.
Can we accept serving God according to a pattern that is the opposite of what our society and our human nature would desire? If we too quickly say “Yes!” we just might end up revealing more of the pride and ignorance suggested by the original question. We love to evaluate the obvious struggle for power by James and John as proof that we would never say such a thing. Still, in our own subtle ways we, too, seek recognition and acknowledgement—some sort of reward for our sacrifice?

One day I hope to be free from any preoccupation with how everyone else is serving God, and just serve.
Hymn for Today:
“Follow On” by William O. Cushing
1. Down in the valley with my Savior I will go,
Where the flow’rs are blooming and the sweet waters flow;
Everywhere He leads me I will follow, follow on,
Walking in His footsteps till the crown be won. 
Refrain:
Follow! follow! I will follow Jesus!
Anywhere, everywhere, I will follow on!
Follow! follow! I will follow Jesus!
Everywhere He leads me I will follow on!
2. Down in the valley with my Savior I will go,
Where the storms are sweeping and the dark waters flow;
With His hand to lead me I will never, never fear,
Danger cannot fright me if my Lord is near.
Refrain:
Follow! follow! I will follow Jesus!
Anywhere, everywhere, I will follow on!
Follow! follow! I will follow Jesus!
Everywhere He leads me I will follow on!
3. Down in the valley, or upon the mountain steep,
Close beside my Savior will my soul ever keep;
He will lead me safely in the path that He has trod,
Up to where they gather on the hills of God.
Refrain:
Follow! follow! I will follow Jesus!
Anywhere, everywhere, I will follow on!
Follow! follow! I will follow Jesus!
Everywhere He leads me I will follow on!
Thought for Today:
“Then he said, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You address me as ‘Teacher’ and ‘Master,’ and rightly so. That is what I am. So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other’s feet. I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do. I’m only pointing out the obvious. A servant is not ranked above his master; an employee doesn’t give orders to the employer. If you understand what I’m telling you, act like it—and live a blessed life.”(Jesus in John 13:12-17)
Prayer Needs:
Many people in Sao Tomo and Principe will come to know Jesus the Christ, Yeshua the Messiah, and receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
-------
WordAction Publishing Company
Beacon Hill Press
Nazarene Publishing Company
2500 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64108 United States
Embrace holy living…visit reflectinggod.com.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment