Sunday, January 4, 2015

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection of Leawood, Kansas, United States Daily Guide grow. pray. study. for Saturday, 3 January 2015 “Powerful, loving and self-controlled”

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection of Leawood, Kansas, United States Daily Guide grow. pray. study. for Saturday, 3 January 2015 “Powerful, loving and self-controlled”
Daily Scripture: 2 Timothy 1: To Be Bold with God’s Gifts
3-4 Every time I say your name in prayer—which is practically all the time—I thank God for you, the God I worship with my whole life in the tradition of my ancestors. I miss you a lot, especially when I remember that last tearful good-bye, and I look forward to a joy-packed reunion.
5-7 That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith—and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze! God doesn’t want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.
Reflection Questions:
On his second missionary journey, the apostle Paul met a younger man named Timothy (cf. Acts 16:1-4 [Acts 16: A Dream Gave Paul His Map
1-3 Paul came first to Derbe, then Lystra. He found a disciple there by the name of Timothy, son of a devout Jewish mother and Greek father. Friends in Lystra and Iconium all said what a fine young man he was. Paul wanted to recruit him for their mission, but first took him aside and circumcised him so he wouldn’t offend the Jews who lived in those parts. They all knew that his father was Greek.
4-5 As they traveled from town to town, they presented the simple guidelines the Jerusalem apostles and leaders had come up with. That turned out to be most helpful. Day after day the congregations became stronger in faith and larger in size.]). Timothy became one of his most trusted associates, one Paul trusted to lead some of the churches he planted, and to continue leading them after Paul was gone. Such a large responsibility must have frightened Timothy at times, especially in the light of his youth (cf. 1 Timothy 4:12). But Paul told him that God’s spirit could make him lovingly powerful, rather than timid. That same spirit goes with each of us into 2015.
• The apostle Paul traced his faith to his ancestors (verse 3). Here he called his friend Timothy to live out his own legacy of faith from his mother and grandmother, and from Paul, his spiritual “father.” What examples of either spiritual courage or timidity are parts of your family’s spiritual legacy? In what ways have parents, grandparents and other important people given you confidence to fearlessly value and use your God-given strengths? What effect have they had on you? How can you mentor and encourage someone who is younger than you are?
Prayer: King Jesus, thank you for being the “eternal father, strong to save,” whose love and courage can guide me either through or beyond the legacy of my earthly family. Give me the courage to always live out your principles, and to guide others in your ways. Amen.
Family Activity: For this activity, you will need a Bible, a sheet of blank wrapping paper or newsprint to cover a doorway in your home, a marker and some tape. Gather together and have someone read 2 Timothy 1:6-7 [2 Timothy 1:5-7 That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith—and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze! God doesn’t want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.] aloud. Discuss why at times it is difficult to be brave, strong and full of faith. Write down everyone’s fears, obstacles and roadblocks on the large piece of paper. When everyone has responded, tape the paper to the doorway. Join together to break through the paper covered in fears and barriers and walk through to the other side. Pray together as a family to remember God is always with you, even through the unsure and scary times.
Prayer Requests
Prayer Requests – Submit a Prayer Request: cor.org/prayer
Prayers for those receiving long-term medical care – go to cor.org/prayer

Insight from Yvonne Gentile

Yvonne Gentile serves on The Church of the Resurrection staff as the Director of Connections. Yvonne directs the team that helps people get connected into the life of the church through service, studies, group life, and other ways of involvement.
I remember when we took the training wheels off my daughter’s bicycle years ago, and she took her first ride on two wheels. She started off tentatively (and a little wobbly), but with enthusiastic encouragement from us she soon peddled away with a smile. She came back exhilarated and more confident than before; all she had needed was a gentle push and some support while she found her balance.
As I look back on my life to this point, I can see milestones of growth in myself. And at each of those points there was someone in my life who was providing encouragement, a gentle push, and a little support when needed. Whether it was a family member, a supervisor, or a friend each of the periods of significant personal or professional growth in my life began with someone nudging me beyond my comfort zone.
Change is scary – even positive change can produce anxiety. This week I read Father Richard Rohr’s book Falling Upward. He writes: “The familiar and the habitual are so falsely reassuring, and most of us make our homes there permanently.” At one point of significant change in my teenage years, my grandma took my face between her hands and said to me, “No matter what happens, you remember this: Jesus is always with you.” Her statement stuck with me, and gave me comfort when I was feeling afraid. Rohr says, “…all the books of the Bible seem to agree that God is with us and we are not alone.”
When do you sense God’s presence? What gives you the courage to step beyond the familiar to grow in some way? Sometimes I sense God’s presence when I read the Bible or pray or walk in God’s creation. But most often I sense God’s tangible presence through the words and actions of others, who remind me that God is with me, God’s spirit lives in me, and they believe in me. Their encouragement not only revives my faith, it helps me conquer my fear of striking out into unfamiliar territory – and that is always where growth happens.
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment