Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Daily Devotional of The Upper Room Devotion of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Gifts and Talents" for Tuesday, 5 April 2016 with Scripture Text Psalm 90:9-12

The Daily Devotional of The Upper Room Devotion of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Gifts and Talents" for Tuesday, 5 April 2016 with Scripture Text Psalm 90:9 All our days ebb away under your wrath;
our years die away like a sigh.
10 The span of our life is seventy years,
or if we are strong, eighty;
yet at best it is toil and sorrow,
over in a moment, and then we are gone.
11 Who grasps the power of your anger and wrath
to the degree that the fear due you should inspire?
12 So teach us to count our days,
so that we will become wise.
This is the gift of God: that all people should eat, drink, and enjoy the results of their hard work.[Ecclesiastes 3:13 (CEB)]
When I was 15, I enrolled in a vocational school. Out of the three vocational tracks available, I chose dressmaking. I opted for the fashion-design specialty. This skill came very naturally to me, and I believed that this was a God-given talent.
Ever since, I have enjoyed designing and creating, even though I decided not to turn this into a business venture. Instead, I devoted my skills to serving my friends and family. As I worked on sewing projects, I developed a form of prayer discipline. Each project I undertook was an opportunity to have a dialogue with God. I would ask God to guide me with wisdom; as my hands worked, my heart prayed.
The years have gone by quickly. Now my life is not quite as fast-paced, my vision is not what it used to be, and my hands are not quite as steady. However, I am still in constant communication with my Creator in every activity I undertake. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with God by my side. I am blessed that even in my frailty, God is my constant companion.
The Author: Mabel Muñoz de Varas (Arica y Parinacota, Chile)
Thought for the Day: Today I will communicate with God while using my talents.
Prayer: Gracious God, thank you for the gifts and talents you have bestowed. Help us to use them in your service. Amen.
Prayer focus: Garment workers
---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment