Daily Scripture: John 21:1 After this, Yeshua appeared again to the talmidim at Lake Tiberias. Here is how it happened: 2 Shim‘on Kefa and T’oma (his name means “twin”) were together with Natan’el from Kanah in the Galil, the sons of Zavdai, and two other talmidim. 3 Shim‘on Kefa said, “I’m going fishing.” They said to him, “We’re coming with you.” They went and got into the boat, but that night they didn’t catch anything. 4 However, just as day was breaking, Yeshua stood on shore, but the talmidim didn’t know it was he. 5 He said to them, “You don’t have any fish, do you?” “No,” they answered him. 6 He said to them, “Throw in your net to starboard and you will catch some.” So they threw in their net, and there were so many fish in it that they couldn’t haul it aboard.
Reflection Questions:
John’s gospel showed Jesus in or near Jerusalem more often than Matthew, Mark or Luke. Chapter 21, however, told of Peter and several other disciples back at the Sea of Galilee. (There are various guesses, but John did not explain why they chose to go fishing.) Despite their past experience as fishermen, they were not successful on their own. Yet when Jesus guided them, they hauled in a huge catch.
- This story (like a similar one in Luke 5) showed Jesus showing skilled, experienced fishermen where to find a startlingly large catch. When have you found yourself ineffective (in your personal life or an area of ministry) because you weren’t open to Jesus’ wisdom? When has “practicing the presence of Jesus” made your efforts clearly more effective?
- In his prologue, John wrote, “The true light that shines on all people was coming into the world….but the world didn’t recognize the light” (John 1:9-10). In verse 4 of chapter 21, he wrote, “Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples didn’t realize it was Jesus.” What has helped you to recognize Jesus when his presence touches your life? How can you sharpen your spiritual “vision” to “see” Jesus?
Lord Jesus, you promised to be with me “every day until the end of this present age” (Matthew 28:20). Help me keep my heart open, attuned to your comforting, guiding presence with me. Amen.Insights from Melanie Hill

Melanie Hill is the Guest Connections Program Director at Resurrection.
Have you ever found yourself feeling less “spiritual” than someone else? Less in tune with the Holy Spirit, wondering how and why you were missing out on what they had? I found myself in this place this week. Resurrection staff members participate weekly in staff chapel. It’s a time to gather to worship, learn, and pray for one another, and I look forward to it each week. This past week Rev. Cheryl Bell asked for staff to share stories of interaction with the Spirit in our ministries. As one after another of our staff shared stories of times when the Spirit showed up in amazing ways, I found myself thinking, “Why don’t I have any of those stories?” The stories being shared seemed to me to border on the mystical–stories of total strangers sharing with someone the exact message God had for them, of visions and encounters so tangible you felt as if you were there. I listened in amazement. I was encouraged that the Spirit is surely working in and through the people of Resurrection. But then I started to wonder why I couldn’t think of a story like this in my own faith journey. I have never had a vision. I have never had a stranger stop me and share something straight from God meant just for me. I started to wonder if somehow I’m just not in tune with what the Holy Spirit is doing. Maybe I need to work harder at it–start meditating or something. It bothered me the rest of the day. I had this feeling of being “less than,” that somehow I was missing something.
Later that night as I texted with the women in my small group about one of our members who just had surgery and what we could do for her, I was reminded of how the Spirit shows up in my life. He shows up in the relationships I have–with my husband, my friends, my children. I spent a good 30 minutes Saturday morning tickling my 5 year old and laughing with her. When my cheeks hurt from smiling, I heard the still small voice of the Spirit say, “Here I am in your joy.” Earlier in the week I sat with 7 members of a class I was teaching on “Discovering your Spiritual Gifts” and found my heart so full of the promise of what God is doing through His people that I heard the Spirit say, “Look how I am moving through My people.” At Easter this year the Spirit showed up in my neighbor, who encouraged me to invite a new neighbor to share in our Easter tradition of dinner together. Through her the Spirit said, “I am going to stretch you.”
I was reminded that the Spirit does not show up less in my life because I don’t have an “ah ha” story of something miraculous. The miracle is that He shows up in my everyday interactions and the conversations I have.
So if you are one of those people who have a great story of the Spirit moving in a way that just blows you away, share it. Those of us who have not had that experience need to hear it. We need to be encouraged, challenged and reminded that God is mystical, powerful and moving in the world. But don’t miss Jesus on the shore because you’re waiting for the miracle. Instead remember that the miracle is that Jesus provided a way to have holy interactions every day. So wherever you see the Spirit at work, in big moments or little daily events, celebrate what He is doing in you and through you.

Download the GPS App


The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Have you ever found yourself feeling less “spiritual” than someone else? Less in tune with the Holy Spirit, wondering how and why you were missing out on what they had? I found myself in this place this week. Resurrection staff members participate weekly in staff chapel. It’s a time to gather to worship, learn, and pray for one another, and I look forward to it each week. This past week Rev. Cheryl Bell asked for staff to share stories of interaction with the Spirit in our ministries. As one after another of our staff shared stories of times when the Spirit showed up in amazing ways, I found myself thinking, “Why don’t I have any of those stories?” The stories being shared seemed to me to border on the mystical–stories of total strangers sharing with someone the exact message God had for them, of visions and encounters so tangible you felt as if you were there. I listened in amazement. I was encouraged that the Spirit is surely working in and through the people of Resurrection. But then I started to wonder why I couldn’t think of a story like this in my own faith journey. I have never had a vision. I have never had a stranger stop me and share something straight from God meant just for me. I started to wonder if somehow I’m just not in tune with what the Holy Spirit is doing. Maybe I need to work harder at it–start meditating or something. It bothered me the rest of the day. I had this feeling of being “less than,” that somehow I was missing something.
Later that night as I texted with the women in my small group about one of our members who just had surgery and what we could do for her, I was reminded of how the Spirit shows up in my life. He shows up in the relationships I have–with my husband, my friends, my children. I spent a good 30 minutes Saturday morning tickling my 5 year old and laughing with her. When my cheeks hurt from smiling, I heard the still small voice of the Spirit say, “Here I am in your joy.” Earlier in the week I sat with 7 members of a class I was teaching on “Discovering your Spiritual Gifts” and found my heart so full of the promise of what God is doing through His people that I heard the Spirit say, “Look how I am moving through My people.” At Easter this year the Spirit showed up in my neighbor, who encouraged me to invite a new neighbor to share in our Easter tradition of dinner together. Through her the Spirit said, “I am going to stretch you.”
I was reminded that the Spirit does not show up less in my life because I don’t have an “ah ha” story of something miraculous. The miracle is that He shows up in my everyday interactions and the conversations I have.
So if you are one of those people who have a great story of the Spirit moving in a way that just blows you away, share it. Those of us who have not had that experience need to hear it. We need to be encouraged, challenged and reminded that God is mystical, powerful and moving in the world. But don’t miss Jesus on the shore because you’re waiting for the miracle. Instead remember that the miracle is that Jesus provided a way to have holy interactions every day. So wherever you see the Spirit at work, in big moments or little daily events, celebrate what He is doing in you and through you.
Download the GPS App
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224, United States
913.897.0120
---------------------
---------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment