Monday, November 27, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Monday, 27 November 2017 "Willing to Learn" by Gordon S. Grose (Oregon) - Exodus 4:1-12

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Monday, 27 November 2017 "Willing to Learn" by Gordon S. Grose (Oregon) - Exodus 4:1-12
-------

DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2017 
The Lord said to Moses, “I . . . will teach you what to say. (Exodus 4:12 (NIV))
“You should write a book,” my pastor friend told me after I led a workshop at his church. He thought my ideas deserved a wider audience; I thought his idea ridiculous. Who, me? Write a book? Gradually I warmed to the idea, but I still felt inadequate. I had pastored and counseled in clinics, but this was new. How would I learn to write? In my daily devotional time with God, I read Exodus 4:1-12, which chronicles God’s promise to Moses. Feeling inadequate to face Pharaoh, Moses protested, but God persisted. I posted today’s verse in my office. Every time I felt inadequate as a writer, I read it. As with Moses, God eventually taught me what to say. God used a mentor, many instructors, editors, and fellow writers to teach me. After 12 years, my book was published.
We all feel inadequate for some tasks. But God is faithful; if we allow it, God will teach us what to say. Through many helpers and creative inspiration born of reflection on scripture, God showed me what to write and taught me how to do it. If we remain open to godly people around us, God will use them to guide us in what we say and do.
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Dear God, we don’t always feel up to the tasks you’ve given us. As you promised to teach Moses what to say, teach us. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
* * *
TODAY'S READING: Exodus 4:1-12
Exodus 4:1 Moshe replied, “But I’m certain they won’t believe me, and they won’t listen to what I say, because they’ll say, ‘Adonai did not appear to you.’” 2 Adonai answered him, “What is that in your hand?” and he said, “A staff.” 3 He said, “Throw it on the ground!” and he threw it on the ground. It turned into a snake, and Moshe recoiled from it. 4 Then Adonai said to Moshe, “Put your hand out and take it by the tail.” He reached out with his hand and took hold of it, and it became a staff in his hand. 5 “This is so that they will believe that Adonai, the God of their fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has appeared to you!”
6 Furthermore Adonai said to him, “Now put your hand inside your coat.” He put his hand in his coat; and when he took it out his hand was leprous, as white as snow. 7 Then God said, “Now put your hand back in your coat.” He put his hand back in his coat; and when he took it out, it was as healthy as the rest of his body. 8 “If they won’t believe you or heed the evidence of the first sign, they will be convinced by the second. 9 But if they aren’t persuaded even by both these signs and still won’t listen to what you say, then take some water from the river, and pour it on the ground. The water you take from the river will turn into blood on the dry land.”
10 Moshe said to Adonai, “Oh, Adonai, I’m a terrible speaker. I always have been, and I’m no better now, even after you’ve spoken to your servant! My words come slowly, my tongue moves slowly.” 11 Adonai answered him, “Who gives a person a mouth? Who makes a person dumb or deaf, keen-sighted or blind? Isn’t it I, Adonai? 12 Now, therefore, go; and I will be with your mouth and will teach you what to say.”
---
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God can use others to teach me and guide me.
PRAYER FOCUS:
FOR Willingness to obey
The Upper Room®
Copyright © The Upper Room 2017, All rights reserved.
Header Photo Credit: "Harvested Land," Beth Shumate. August 15, 2014. (link)
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment