Saturday, November 25, 2017

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States Weekly Devotions: Grow Pray Study Guide - "Contentment: a learned attitude" for Saturday, 25 November 2017

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States Weekly Devotions: Grow Pray Study Guide - "Contentment: a learned attitude" for Saturday, 25 November 2017
---
"Contentment: a learned attitude"
Saturday, 25 November 2017
Philippians 4:6 Don’t worry about anything; on the contrary, make your requests known to God by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving. 7 Then God’s shalom, passing all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with the Messiah Yeshua.10 In union with the Lord I greatly rejoice that now, after this long time, you have let your concern for me express itself again. Of course, you were concerned for me all along, but you had no opportunity to express it. 11 Not that I am saying this to call attention to any need of mine; since, as far as I am concerned, I have learned to be content regardless of circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in want, and I know what it is to have more than enough — in everything and in every way I have learned the secret of being full and being hungry, of having abundance and being in need. 13 I can do all things through him who gives me power.
---
Many Bible students call Philippians Paul’s “epistle of joy.” From a prison cell (cf. Philippians 1:13), he wrote a letter “known for its emphasis on joy….Believers have this gladness because they know that
having problems, or even enduring harassment, doesn’t mean God has deserted them.” * But we need to observe that the apostle didn’t say his joy grew from a naturally grateful, upbeat disposition. Quite
the contrary—“I have learned the secret to being content in any and every circumstance” was his testimony in verse 12.
• Robert Emmons’ research bears out Paul’s testimony: “Emotional venting without accompanying insight does not produce change. No amount of writing about the event will help unless you are able to take a fresh, redemptive perspective on it. This is an advantage that grateful people have—and it is a skill that anyone can learn.” ** What life experiences and choices have already helped you learn to live life from a more grateful point of view? What additional steps do you want to take to learn this important spiritual and life skill?
Prayer: Dear Jesus, if the aggressive, angry Pharisee Saul could learn to be the apostle who wrote an epistle of joy from prison, then I can learn, too. Guide and teach me in the ways of gratitude. Amen.
* Jerry L. Sumney, Introduction to Philippians in The CEB Study Bible. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2013, p. 373 NT.
** Robert Emmons, “How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times,” syndicated from Greater Good, Sep 12, 2013
at http://www.dailygood.org/story/532/how-gratitude-can-help-you-through-hard-times-robert-emmons/.
Family Activity: Gather as a family and bring paper, markers, magazines, glue, pens, scissors and envelopes. Together list at least seven people you would like to thank in some way. Consider family members or friends, firefighters, teachers, church staff or volunteers or police officers. Spend time creating thank you notes for each person. Older family members might write notes. Younger ones might draw pictures or cut pictures out of magazines. Have everyone in your family sign their name to each card. Place each card in an envelope, then address and stamp them. Pray over each one, giving thanks to God for each person. Pile in the car, head to the post office to mail the cards and stop for ice cream or hot chocolate along the way! Continue to pray for those receiving your thank you notes!
---
Ali Sloop
Ali Sloop is a homeschooled sophomore and worships at Resurrection's Blue Springs campus. She is active in youth group, works in KidsCor and is participating in Leader Collective.

Today’s scripture (Philippians 4:6-7, 10-13) really resonated with me. Verses six and seven tell us not to be anxious but instead pray and God will give us peace. I know I get anxious about a lot of things--school, meeting new people, or even reading Scripture in front of the congregation on Sunday mornings. Even though I know God is with me all the time sometimes I need reassurance.
I go to the Blue Springs campus and went on my first mission trip this June with some teens from Leawood. Although I was really excited to meet new people and go to Chicago to help people, I was kind of nervous before I left. Days before leaving for my trip I prayed a lot, and God really gave me this deep sense of peace that's almost impossible to describe. The mission trip ended up being really fun and I met so many great people.
The second part of todays Scripture tells us God is concerned for us. I don’t know about you, but for me, knowing that the creator of the universe is concerned about me is awesome! Also, in verse 12 Paul says: “I know the experience of being in need and of having more than enough; I have learned the secret of being content in any and every circumstance, whether full or hungry or whether having plenty or being poor.” Are you always content in every single situation in your life? I know I’m not. Wheneven the slightest thing happens to set me back I get upset. One thing I have tried to do is every morning I wake up and I tell God, “Whatever happens today I will be content because I know you are in control.” This has helped me a lot, but obviously I still get upset with minor setbacks. I’m not perfect but I try to remember God has a plan for me. I just can’t see the whole picture yet.
One final thing I love about today's Scripture is the inclusion of Philippians 4:13. It is one of my favorite verses and I’ve had it memorized for a long time. I love this verse so much because when I feel like I can’t do something or I’m not good enough, I say this verse in my head and it helps me a lot. When I played sports I would say this verse. Before trying something new I would say this verse. I think one of the best things to remember when you’re scared to try something new or you think you’re going to fail at something is to remember: “I can do all these things through Him who gives me strength.”
---
Prayer Requests – cor.org/prayer
  • Praise for the birth of: Ella Glen Owens, 8/14/17
Prayers for Peace & Comfort for:
• Kay Kimes and Kathy Ensign on the death of their aunt Winona Ensign, 11/13
• Carlene Adams and family on the death of her husband Jerald “Jerry” Adams, 11/12
• Randy Renfro and family on the death of his father Jerald “Jerry” Adams, 11/12
• Jack Dick and family on the death of his wife Cordelia “Corky” Dick, 11/12
• Melissa Bennett and family on the death of her mother Cordelia “Corky” Dick, 11/12
• Ryan Turnbull and family on the death of his father Reginald H. “Reg” Turnbull, 11/9
• Cherie Thomas and family on the death of her brother Roy Thomas III, 11/8
• Jim and Judy Sylte and family on the death of their daughter-in-law LaRie Sylte, 11/5
• Mark Jansen and family on the death of his father Donald “Don” Jansen, 11/5
• Joanne Montgomery and family on the death of her grandfather Donald “Don” Jansen, 11/5
• Suzanne Wallace and family on the death of her father Robert Wallace, 11/1
• Dee Anderson and family on the death of her aunt Leanna Moller-Little, 10/29
---
Like this post? Share it!
 
You might also like
Gratitude for God’s works is always in order
Gratitude for “food and clothing” fosters contentment
Gratitude keeps spiritual life from being choked out
Jesus himself often expressed gratitude
Jesus appreciated gratitude
Or download this week's printable GPS.

---


©2017 Church of the Resurrection. All Rights Reserved.
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment