Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Global Church of the Nazarene DAY 40 OF 40 - Better Together Through Prayer And The Word

Global Church of the Nazarene DAY 40 OF 40 - Better Together Through Prayer And The Word
Nehemiah 13:19-22
19 As soon as it began to grow dark at the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut and gave orders that they should not be opened until after the Sabbath. And I stationed some of my servants at the gates, that no load might be brought in on the Sabbath day. 20 Then the merchants and sellers of all kinds of wares lodged outside Jerusalem once or twice. 21 But I warned them and said to them, "Why do you lodge outside the wall? If you do so again, I will lay hands on you." From that time on they did not come on the Sabbath. 22 Then I commanded the Levites that they should purify themselves and come and guard the gates, to keep the Sabbath day holy. Remember this also in my favor, O my God, and spare me according to the greatness of your steadfast love.
DAY 40 – UPHOLDING GOD’S LAWS
We come to the last chapter of Nehemiah. It is time for Nehemiah to go back to his work for King Artaxerxes of Babylon. After a while he does ask for permission again to visit Jerusalem, and what he found was so sad. They had gone back to some of their old ways already. One of them was the way they treated the Sabbath (Saturday). They had made a covenant with God in chapter 10:31 that was not being kept. There was a lot of buying and selling happening on the Sabbath, so Nehemiah…
SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 13:19 It came to pass that, when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut, and commanded that they should not be opened until after the Sabbath. I set some of my servants over the gates, that no burden should be brought in on the Sabbath day. 20 So the merchants and sellers of all kinds of wares camped outside of Jerusalem once or twice. 21 Then I testified against them, and said to them, “Why do you stay around the wall? If you do so again, I will lay hands on you.” From that time on, they didn’t come on the Sabbath. 22 I commanded the Levites that they should purify themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the Sabbath day. Remember to me, my God, this also, and spare me according to the greatness of your loving kindness.
Why had they returned to their old ways? Had they really forgotten the covenant they made with God…an oath with a binding curse? Just because Nehemiah was gone and the work was done was no reason to forget God and His laws. But it happened. They took the easier approach. It is easier to be a follower then to be Nehemiah in these verses. If you notice in verse 22, Nehemiah commanded the Levites (temple workers) to purify themselves and go and guard the gates in order to keep the Sabbath day holy. Nehemiah passed the charge on to those who would look at it as a holy task…doing the work of God.
LIFE APPLICATION: Living under the time of grace, we are not measured by keeping the laws of God; but Jesus did say, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” (Matthew 5:17). In another place Jesus said, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart…soul…mind. …Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:37-39). Loving God and loving others is our holy task…upholding God’s laws.
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment