Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour "By Grace Alone" Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour "By Grace Alone" Wednesday, 30 April 2014 
Daily Devos
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all 
CPTLN Christ on crosspeople, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness.--Titus 2:11-14
The Iranian prisoner who was about to be executed is only known by the name Balal. 
Seven years earlier, in a street fight, Balal had stabbed and murdered another lad who, like Balal, was 17 years old.
Balal's case was heard by the Iranian courts who found him "guilty as charged." The sentence the young man received was "death by hanging."
Now this is Iran and that means there are some unique characteristics about how a man is executed. For example, most of the time executions are a public thing. Second, there is nothing fancy about the scaffolding from which the condemned will make his leap into eternity. Third, Iran's Islamic law allows the family which has been hurt by the condemned's actions to participate in the execution.
All of this explains how a screaming, begging-for-mercy, blindfolded Balal ended up standing on a chair waiting for his victim's mother to kick that chair out from underneath him. The grieving mother approached the condemned, looked at his face, listened to his cries, summoned up her strength, and slapped Balal across the face. Then she stepped back to allow her husband in.
He came up to the frightened murderer and slowly slipped the noose off his neck.
That day there was no execution, and while there may still be a prison sentence, Balal had been spared. Immediately after, Balal's mother came up and hugged the merciful mom. Together they cried. One cried for a son who had been murdered, the other wept for a son who was spared.
Almost 2,000 years ago, Jesus Christ, God's only Son, was executed to save humanity's sons and daughters. In this, the two stories are similar.
But there are many, many differences between what happened on Calvary and what took place this month in Iran. For example, Balal was guilty of his crime, but Jesus, who had kept the Law of God perfectly, was innocent. Then there is the fact Balal would have escaped if the opportunity had presented itself. Not so with Jesus. Although He could have called for -- and received -- legions of angels to bring about His release, the Savior chose to die like a lamb without complaint (see Isaiah 53:7). Then, of course, there is the fact that Balal was granted an undeserved reprieve, while Jesus gave up the ghost after having paid the price that has won our release from the condemnation of sin.
I dare not let this devotion finish without mentioning two more similarities -- between Balal and us. The first similarity is this: both of us have been saved by grace and not because of anything we have done. The second thing we have in common is that we should be grateful, eternally grateful, for the grace which has spared us.
THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, like the hymn writer I can praise You and say, "By grace I'm saved, grace free and boundless; My soul, believe and doubt it not. Why stagger at this word of promise? Hath Scripture ever falsehood taught? Nay; then this word must true remain; By grace thou, too, shalt heav'n obtain. By grace! None dare lay claim to merit; Our works and conduct have no worth. God in His love sent our Redeemer, Christ Jesus, to this sinful earth; His death did for our sins atone, And we are saved by grace alone." In the Name of my grace-giving Savior I pray. Amen. 
Pastor KlausIn Christ I remain His servant and yours, 
Pastor Ken Klaus 
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour®
Lutheran Hour Ministries
------- 
Through the Bible in a Year
Today Read:
1 Samuel 19:1 Saul spoke to Jonathan his son, and to all his servants, that they should kill David. But Jonathan, Saul’s son, greatly delighted in David. 2 Jonathan told David, saying, “Saul my father seeks to kill you. Now therefore, please take care of yourself in the morning, and live in a secret place, and hide yourself. 3 I will go out and stand beside my father in the field where you are, and I will talk with my father about you; and if I see anything, I will tell you.”
4 Jonathan spoke good of David to Saul his father, and said to him, “Don’t let the king sin against his servant, against David; because he has not sinned against you, and because his works have been very good toward you; 5 for he put his life in his hand, and struck the Philistine, and Yahweh worked a great victory for all Israel. You saw it, and rejoiced. Why then will you sin against innocent blood, to kill David without a cause?”
6 Saul listened to the voice of Jonathan: and Saul swore, “As Yahweh lives, he shall not be put to death.”
7 Jonathan called David, and Jonathan showed him all those things. Then Jonathan brought David to Saul, and he was in his presence, as before. 8 There was war again. David went out, and fought with the Philistines, and killed them with a great slaughter; and they fled before him.
9 An evil spirit from Yahweh was on Saul, as he sat in his house with his spear in his hand; and David was playing with his hand. 10 Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear; but he slipped away out of Saul’s presence, and he stuck the spear into the wall. David fled, and escaped that night. 11 Saul sent messengers to David’s house, to watch him, and to kill him in the morning. Michal, David’s wife, told him, saying, “If you don’t save your life tonight, tomorrow you will be killed.” 12 So Michal let David down through the window. He went away, fled, and escaped. 13 Michal took the teraphim,[a] and laid it in the bed, and put a pillow of goats’ hair at its head, and covered it with clothes. 14 When Saul sent messengers to take David, she said, “He is sick.”
15 Saul sent the messengers to see David, saying, “Bring him up to me in the bed, that I may kill him.” 16 When the messengers came in, behold, the teraphim was in the bed, with the pillow of goats’ hair at its head.
17 Saul said to Michal, “Why have you deceived me thus, and let my enemy go, so that he is escaped?”
Michal answered Saul, “He said to me, ‘Let me go! Why should I kill you?’”
18 Now David fled and escaped, and came to Samuel at Ramah, and told him all that Saul had done to him. He and Samuel went and lived in Naioth. 19 Saul was told, saying, “Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah.”
20 Saul sent messengers to seize David: and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as head over them, God’s Spirit came on Saul’s messengers, and they also prophesied. 21 When Saul was told, he sent other messengers, and they also prophesied. Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they also prophesied. 22 Then he also went to Ramah, and came to the great well that is in Secu: and he asked, “Where are Samuel and David?”
One said, “Behold, they are at Naioth in Ramah.”
23 He went there to Naioth in Ramah. Then God’s Spirit came on him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah. 24 He also stripped off his clothes, and he also prophesied before Samuel, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Therefore they say, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”
Footnotes:
a. 1 Samuel 19:13 teraphim were household idols that may have been associated with inheritance rights to the household property.
Psalm 23: A Psalm by David.
1 Yahweh is my shepherd:
    I shall lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
    He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
    He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil, for you are with me.
Your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil.
    My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life,
    and I will dwell in Yahweh’s house forever.
Psalm 59: For the Chief Musician. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” A poem by David, when Saul sent, and they watched the house to kill him.
1 Deliver me from my enemies, my God.
    Set me on high from those who rise up against me.
2 Deliver me from the workers of iniquity.
    Save me from the bloodthirsty men.
3 For, behold, they lie in wait for my soul.
    The mighty gather themselves together against me,
    not for my disobedience, nor for my sin, Yahweh.
4 I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me.
    Rise up, behold, and help me!
5 You, Yahweh God of Armies, the God of Israel,
    rouse yourself to punish the nations.
    Show no mercy to the wicked traitors.
Selah.
6 They return at evening, howling like dogs,
    and prowl around the city.
7 Behold, they spew with their mouth.
    Swords are in their lips,
    “For”, they say, “who hears us?”
8 But you, Yahweh, laugh at them.
    You scoff at all the nations.
9 Oh, my Strength, I watch for you,
    for God is my high tower.
10 My God will go before me with his loving kindness.
    God will let me look at my enemies in triumph.
11 Don’t kill them, or my people may forget.
    Scatter them by your power, and bring them down, Lord our shield.
12 For the sin of their mouth, and the words of their lips,
    let them be caught in their pride,
    for the curses and lies which they utter.
13 Consume them in wrath.
    Consume them, and they will be no more.
Let them know that God rules in Jacob,
    to the ends of the earth.
Selah.
14 At evening let them return.
    Let them howl like a dog, and go around the city.
15 They shall wander up and down for food,
    and wait all night if they aren’t satisfied.
16 But I will sing of your strength.
    Yes, I will sing aloud of your loving kindness in the morning.
For you have been my high tower,
    a refuge in the day of my distress.
17 To you, my strength, I will sing praises.
    For God is my high tower, the God of my mercy.
Luke 21:1 He looked up, and saw the rich people who were putting their gifts into the treasury. 2 He saw a certain poor widow casting in two small brass coins.[a] 3 He said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow put in more than all of them, 4 for all these put in gifts for God from their abundance, but she, out of her poverty, put in all that she had to live on.”
5 As some were talking about the temple and how it was decorated with beautiful stones and gifts, he said, 6 “As for these things which you see, the days will come, in which there will not be left here one stone on another that will not be thrown down.”
7 They asked him, “Teacher, so when will these things be? What is the sign that these things are about to happen?”
8 He said, “Watch out that you don’t get led astray, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he[b],’ and, ‘The time is at hand.’ Therefore don’t follow them. 9 When you hear of wars and disturbances, don’t be terrified, for these things must happen first, but the end won’t come immediately.”
10 Then he said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great earthquakes, famines, and plagues in various places. There will be terrors and great signs from heaven. 12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you up to synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for my name’s sake. 13 It will turn out as a testimony for you. 14 Settle it therefore in your hearts not to meditate beforehand how to answer, 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to withstand or to contradict. 16 You will be handed over even by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends. They will cause some of you to be put to death. 17 You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake. 18 And not a hair of your head will perish.
19 “By your endurance you will win your lives.
Footnotes:
a. Luke 21:2 literally, “two lepta.” 2 lepta was about 1% of a day’s wages for an agricultural laborer.
b. Luke 21:8 or, I AM
-------
The Lutheran Hour
660 Mason Ridge Center Dr.
St. Louis, MO 63141 
1(800)876-9880
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment