Friday, May 30, 2014

Leawood, Kansas, United States - The United Methodist Church of the Rsurrection Daily Guide grow. pray. study. for Friday, 30 May 2014 "Set free from the fear of death"

Leawood, Kansas, United States - The United Methodist Church of the Rsurrection Daily Guide grow. pray. study. for Friday, 30 May 2014 "Set free from the fear of death"
Daily Scripture: Hebrews 2:14 Since then the children have shared in flesh and blood, he also himself in the same way partook of the same, that through death he might bring to nothing him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and might deliver all of them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For most certainly, he doesn’t give help to angels, but he gives help to the offspring[a] of Abraham. 17 Therefore he was obligated in all things to be made like his brothers, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself has suffered being tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted.
Footnotes:
a. Hebrews 2:16 or, seed
Reflection Questions:
From the ancient Roman Empire to terrorists and tyrants today, the "ultimate" human threat is, "I will kill you." That threat leads people to break promises, expend vast resources, and behave in ways they would never consider without it. Roman historians, however, puzzled over how little effect it seemed to have on the followers of Jesus. They could not grasp that Jesus, who died and rose again, set us free from all fear—even the fear of death.
Jesus faced evil and death at their very worst. If you doubt that, read about his arrest, trial and crucifixion in any of the four gospels. Jesus defeated evil and death at their very worst—go on to read the Easter story in any of the four gospels. Early Christians, like the first readers of Hebrews, staked their lives on the truth of Jesus' victory over evil and death. In what ways does fear of death subtly shape your life choices? How can Jesus' death and resurrection set you free from that fear?
Professor Bryan Stone wrote that too many of us believe a story that says, "Because the world is founded on violence, it can be saved only through violence. Christians… have a rival story—one that claims the world is founded on peace and can be saved from its violence only by peace." Pastor Hamilton often reminds us that Easter is "our defining story." In what ways has the story of Jesus defined your life? Are there assumptions you were taught about life that you want to rethink in the light of Jesus' story?
Today's Prayer:
Lord Jesus, you met the worst our world can do, you emerged victorious and you offer me the choice to join you in that victory. Thank you—I accept your offer of a life that lies beyond the power of death. Amen.
Insight from David Brown
David Brown is serving as a summer intern for Adult Discipleship at The Church of the Resurrection.
My story is one of self-inflicted pains. I grew up with such a pursuit of perceived perfection that I often punished myself when I inevitably fell short. I didn’t want an A; I wanted an A+. I didn’t want to be in the play; I wanted to be the star. I didn’t want to be just any member of my church; I wanted to be the best member. I rarely got the A, much less the A+. I did alright in plays, but there was always someone better. So I punished myself. I would ground myself for weeks on end. I would physically harm myself with intent to learn from it. Admittedly unhealthy, I reveled in the idea that I could be perfect through self-imposed punishment.
I was scared. I was scared of failure, of other people’s opinions. I was filled with fear that someone might think less of me. I failed to grasp one of the core concepts of Christianity and the sacrifice of Christ. It is not my job to be perfect. It can be my goal, but the world’s salvation is not resting squarely on my shoulders. That weight was carried already.
This passage affirms, and reaffirms that thought. We as human beings often act out of fear, whether avoiding a certain neighborhood or making heavily calculated investments of resources. We are a fearful collective creature, and especially fearful of the inevitability of death. We are unsure of what will happen, unsure of the next step. We are fearful that we will waste our life. It is that bondage that Christ lifted. It was from those very reins that he cut us loose, in His defeat of the devil.
He is our high priest. He replaced the Jewish hierarchy by being the perfect sacrifice. By living in and among us sinners, Jesus, through steadfast love and compassion, is the only high priest able to reconcile our shortcomings. I struggled with perfectionism and depression. I wallowed in self pity and self-inflicted anxiety. I still fight to stay afloat, some days more than others, but my chains of bondage are broken. Fear of failure no longer rests on my shoulders, for it is in Him that we live and move and have our being.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment