Thursday, May 29, 2014

Kansas City, Missouri, United States - Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “The Sweet Taste of Obedience” – Thursday, 29 May 2014 - Scripture: Ezekiel 2:3-3:3

Link to Reflecting God - Embrace Holy LivingKansas City, Missouri, United States - Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “The Sweet Taste of Obedience” – Thursday, 29 May 2014 - Scripture: Ezekiel 2:3 He said to me, Son of man, I send you to the children of Israel, to a nation of rebels who have rebelled against me. They and their fathers have transgressed against me even to this very day. 4 The children are impudent and stiff-hearted: I am sending you to them; and you shall tell them, Thus says the Lord[a] Yahweh. 5 They, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear, (for they are a rebellious house), yet shall know that there has been a prophet among them. 6 You, son of man, don’t be afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns are with you, and you do dwell among scorpions: don’t be afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they are a rebellious house. 7 You shall speak my words to them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear; for they are most rebellious. 8 But you, son of man, hear what I tell you; don’t be rebellious like that rebellious house: open your mouth, and eat that which I give you. 9 When I looked, behold, a hand was stretched out to me; and, behold, a scroll of a book was therein; 10 He spread it before me: and it was written within and without; and there were written therein lamentations, and mourning, and woe.
3:1 He said to me, Son of man, eat that which you find. Eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. 2 So I opened my mouth, and he caused me to eat the scroll. 3 He said to me, Son of man, cause your belly to eat, and fill your bowels with this scroll that I give you. Then I ate it; and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth.
Footnotes:
Ezekiel 2:4 The word translated “Lord” is “Adonai.”
“The Sweet Taste of Obedience” by Duane C. Brush
This was not going to be an easy assignment. Six times in this brief passage God refers to Israelites as a “rebellious” people. The Lord calls His chosen people “obstinate” and “stubborn.” Also, the message Ezekiel is called to deliver is composed of “words of lament and mourning and woe.” God commands the prophet to eat the scroll on which these words were written. Perhaps surprisingly, the scroll tasted “sweet as honey” in Ezekiel’s mouth. Should we be surprised, though?
In Psalm 19, King David uses five different words to describe God’s communication with His people: law, statutes, precepts, commands and decrees. “They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb. By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward” (Psalm 19:10-11). Even God’s words of warning are sweet to those who will heed them.

First however, Ezekiel had to take God’s Word into himself. It had to become part of his being. Until the message we proclaim has become part of us, we cannot fully impart it to others.
Hymn for Today:
“Where He Leads I’ll Follow” by William A. Ogden
1. Sweet are the promises, 
Kind is the word;
Dearer far than any message man ever heard;
Pure was the mind of Christ, 
Sinless I see;
He the great example is, and pattern for me.
Refrain:
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow Jesus ev’ry day.
2. Sweet is the tender love 
Jesus hath shown,
Sweeter far than any love that mortals have known;
Kind to the erring one,
Faithful is He;
He the great example is, and pattern for me.
Refrain:
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow Jesus ev’ry day.
3. List to His loving words,
“Come unto Me!”
Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee;
Trust in His promises,
Faithful and sure;
Lean upon the Savior, and thy soul is secure.
Refrain:
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow Jesus ev’ry day.
Thought for Today:
“Faithfulness to God’s will is not always easy, but living in the center of God’s purposes brings divine sweetness even into the most bitter of circumstances” (Scott Daniels)
Prayer Needs:
Developing Christian leaders in Benin!
-------
WordAction Publishing Company
Beacon Hill Press
Nazarene Publishing Company
2500 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64108 United States
Embrace holy living…visit reflectinggod.com.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment