Friday, July 25, 2014

Kansas City, Missouri, United States - Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “You Go First” – Friday, 25 July 2014 - Scripture: Genesis 33:1-14

Link to Reflecting God - Embrace Holy LivingKansas City, Missouri, United States - Reflecting God – Embrace Holy Living - “You Go First” – Friday, 25 July 2014 - Scripture: Genesis 33:1-4 Jacob looked up and saw Esau coming with his four hundred men. He divided the children between Leah and Rachel and the two maidservants. He put the maidservants out in front, Leah and her children next, and Rachel and Joseph last. He led the way and, as he approached his brother, bowed seven times, honoring his brother. But Esau ran up and embraced him, held him tight and kissed him. And they both wept.
5 Then Esau looked around and saw the women and children: “And who are these with you?”
Jacob said, “The children that God saw fit to bless me with.”
6-7 Then the maidservants came up with their children and bowed; then Leah and her children, also bowing; and finally, Joseph and Rachel came up and bowed to Esau.
8 Esau then asked, “And what was the meaning of all those herds that I met?”
“I was hoping that they would pave the way for my master to welcome me.”
9 Esau said, “Oh, brother. I have plenty of everything—keep what is yours for yourself.”
10-11 Jacob said, “Please. If you can find it in your heart to welcome me, accept these gifts. When I saw your face, it was as the face of God smiling on me. Accept the gifts I have brought for you. God has been good to me and I have more than enough.” Jacob urged the gifts on him and Esau accepted.
12 Then Esau said, “Let’s start out on our way; I’ll take the lead.”
13-14 But Jacob said, “My master can see that the children are frail. And the flocks and herds are nursing, making for slow going. If I push them too hard, even for a day, I’d lose them all. So, master, you go on ahead of your servant, while I take it easy at the pace of my flocks and children. I’ll catch up with you in Seir.”
“You Go First” by Lisa Mueller
Twenty years of history would need to be resolved in this reunion of Jacob and Esau. Although much time had passed, we are not told if Esau has changed and matured. Jacob’s story witnesses him making choices that seem driven by deceit or at least cunning strategy. Immediately before meeting Esau, a life altering event happened to Jacob. The all-night wrestling match with God appears to have impacted Jacob both physically and spiritually (Genesis 32:22-32).
Jacob’s pattern of behavior had always been to look out for his own interests first. Following the encounter with God there is an abrupt and radical change in his behavior. This is evidenced by the way he divided his family, protecting them and placing himself in the most imminent danger. We see Jacob bowing, seven times, as Esau draws near. We are told of Jacob’s actions before we see Esau’s reaction. Amazingly the brothers embrace.

Whether we are seeking or granting forgiveness, our initial posture, physical or spiritual, is of utmost significance. Jacob proved how contrite his heart was, and this provided Esau the opportunity to respond with love and forgiveness. Do I ever "seek" forgiveness verbally while my physical and spiritual posture betray a hardened heart?
Hymn for Today:
“I Am Resolved” by Palmer Hartsough
1. I am resolved no longer to linger,
Charmed by the world's delight;
Things that are higher, things that are nobler,
These have allured my sight.
Chorus:
I will hasten to Him,
Hasten so glad and free.
Jesus, greatest, highest,
I will come to Thee.
2. I am resolved to go to the Savior,
Leaving my sin and strife.
He is the true one, He is the just one,
He hath the words of life.
Chorus:
I will hasten to Him,
Hasten so glad and free.
Jesus, greatest, highest,
I will come to Thee.
3. I am resolved to follow the Savior,
Faithful and true each day.
Heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth,
He is the Living Way.
Chorus:
I will hasten to Him,
Hasten so glad and free.
Jesus, greatest, highest,
I will come to Thee.
4. I am resolved to enter the Kingdom,
Leaving the paths of sin.
Friends may oppose me foes may beset me,
Still will I enter in.
Chorus:
I will hasten to Him,
Hasten so glad and free.
Jesus, greatest, highest,
I will come to Thee.
5. I am resolved, and who will go with me?
Come, friends, without delay;
Taught by the Bible, led by the Spirit,
We'll walk the heav'nly way.
Chorus:
I will hasten to Him,
Hasten so glad and free.
Jesus, greatest, highest,
I will come to Thee.
Thought for Today:
“So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.”(Colossians 3:12-14)
Prayer Needs:
Many people in Rwanda will come to know Jesus the Christ, Yeshua the Messiah, and receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
-------
WordAction Publishing Company
Beacon Hill Press
Nazarene Publishing Company
2500 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64108 United States
Embrace holy living…visit reflectinggod.com.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment