HOW TO REFORMAT A COMPUTER. My son and I reformatted my computer over the weekend. This is not us. This is merely a reflection of how I felt off and on during the long stretch. Now, however, I feel good. I get a fresh start with my refreshed computer. Is that what God does to a soul? Photo of monkeys by Rex Boggs/flickr. Photo of keyboard by James Lee/flickr.
I SPENT THE WEEKEND reformatting my computer. I had a massive “User” file on my small C-drive and it was giving me a red bar every time I opened up Internet Explorer to take a look at how my computer was doing.
My son told me I needed to move the User file to another drive with more space. I was having problems with one of the other drives as well, so we felt it best to reformat the computer.
If you’re unfamiliar with what it means to reformat a computer, it’s a little bit like performing a lobotomy. Or in biblical terms, it would be washing everything away in a Massive Flood. You save the good stuff on a backup drive you could call Noah’s Ark.
It’s a do-over.
I have been writing books for a long time. I have a lot of stuff on my computer. You know those maps you have seen inside my books? Some of those individual maps run over 1 GB. I have lots of maps.
Those of you who know computers would find it no surprise at all that I spent the entire weekend on this reformatting project, with the help of my tech-savvy son. I could not have done this without him.
I expected to be feeling frustrated at this point in the week, so soon after the reformat.
But what I’m feeling is a burden lifted.
The computer is running more smoothly than ever. And I have everything finally organized in a manner that makes some sense. The computer was thoroughly disorganized previously because I made the mistake of using some not-ready-for-prime-time software to transfer my data and programming from my previous computer to the current one.
That process got everything into my new computer, in much the same way you could get a jigsaw puzzle into your top desk drawer by having a three-year-old kid dump it there.
Now, however, everything is in its place as far as I can tell.
It’s a good feeling.
The weekend has me wondering about how God can reformat our life when it feels like everything is messed up, misplaced, and running like an old Chevy on Uncle Willard’s white lightning.
I’m not sure I have an answer to the question.
I grew up in a Christian home. I attended church all my life. I don’t think I ever wandered off like a Prodigal Son.
Certainly, I’ve had my programming adjusted. I think differently about people, the Bible, and God than I did when I was a young adult. New information and new experiences change us that way.
But I’m having trouble thinking of a time when I was spiritually reformatted.
I don’t even think that my conversion moment qualifies. I was a young kid at the time, frightened into the Kingdom of God by a fiery evangelist who preached a sermon about hell. He sounded like he’d been there.
But I think God reformats some people, changing them radically from one kind of human being to another. He said he would.
“I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart.” Ezekiel 11:19
I have seen that happen in Hallmark movies. Not so much in life.
Instead, in life I have seen grumpy young Christians grow into grumpier old Christians.
And I have seen jerks converted into what seem to be little more than converted jerks.
I don’t have an answer for you. Today, I have a question.
Does God reformat the personality and temperament of a person?
Or does he save them where they stand?


Recent Articles:
Does God help those who help themselves? Know your Jew Blog article I didn’t write Revelation, somebody else’s mail |
No comments:
Post a Comment