Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Progressive Christianity "Weekly Recap" for Tuesday, 13 January 2015

We are excited to share with you the Weekly Recap of our most viewed and new resources that you may have missed on the website. Thank you for your support and interest! 

Last Week At ProgressiveChristiantity.org...


We delved into the topics of Faith, Real Christians, Weep Not and Farewells. 

Visit our website to join in on the discussion and to view our thousands of spiritual resources!


ProgressiveChristianity.org is a global portal for authors, scholars, theologians and liturgists to share their resources for the progressive spiritual journey. Each week we will send you a recap of some of our new resources and each month you will receive an e-newsletter - our eBulletin- which are always full of articles, reviews, liturgies, events, videos, books, news and more!  We are glad you are a part of this community!

Faith Trends I See in 2015

Tom Ehrich 

In the spirit of Janus, Tom Ehrich ended the year looking backward at a world in disarray and forward at three faith movements I expect in 2015.

Faith Trends I See in 2015

READ ON ... 


If I had a dollar for every time someone on the conservative side of the Christian spectrum said that I wasn’t a “real Christian,”  I would have, well… quite a few dollars.

I have even had the distinction to be told that I wasn’t a real Christian by some who call themselves “progressive” Christians.

This type of thing is not uncommon on the conservative side of Christianity, but it’s becoming even more common on the progressive side of the spectrum.  To have certainty about what a Christian is and isn’t, and be willing (and eager) to kick people out who don’t match one’s own opinion of what Christianity should be, has become part and parcel of modern conservative Christianity’s mission objectives.   But on the progressive side of the coin I want to make a request, which is that progressive Christians worldwide just don’t do that type of thing, especially to each other, and here’s why.

Not long ago I was having a fun conversation with another progressive Christian, and I referred to some of his views as “more traditional viewpoints,” which he found quite amusing in a “what did you just call me???” kind of way.  It was a conversation that was all in good theology-geek fun, but he found it funny (or maybe even slightly insulting) that I used the word “traditional” in the same breath with his views.  I think he got a kick out of that word, because where he’d come from he was considered a straight-up heretic for openly questioning such concepts as the Trinity and hell.  Now, to be certain, I didn’t mean anything negative by my use of the word traditional.  I only meant to point out that it seemed like there was more overlap in his views with mainstream churchgoers than some others who consider themselves progressive Christians, or with those who openly question anything and everything within Christianity.

That conversation however, caused me to think more deeply about many others in the progressive Christian category who may be more “traditional” in beliefs than others, and it occurred to me that sometimes this causes confusion, because our own views of how progressive we are can often stem from where we’ve progressed from in the first place.   So while I never said (or even insinuated) that this person was “not progressive,” even the mere suggestion that he may be on a more conservative side of a spectrum bristled his triggers, and I can see why.

For example,  I don’t personally subscribe to the likelihood of a physical resurrection, or uniquely divine incarnation of Jesus, or that “Yahweh” is God.   To me the Bible is an interesting historical compilation of stories with some good morality, but it’s not “God’s word” or anything like that.  My doctrinal understandings are very non-traditional in almost every way when compared to a standard corner church’s statement of beliefs.  So naturally if someone says that they do believe in physical resurrection, original sin, and substitutionary atonement, I would see that as still being friendly to a traditional adherent.  Or, maybe it’s the case that they don’t say they believe those things, but they also don’t say that they don’t believe them, which creates a tacit approval of sorts.  This tacit approval is common among some groups of progressive Christians.

But here’s the thing, I don’t think I ever really believed that stuff to begin with.  At best I tolerated most of it as a possibility from as far back as the 3rd grade bible studies that my mother would teach.  I accepted core creeds only as an elective set of beliefs.  Sure, at times even I got nervous when some non-religious rebels trampled on the core creedal tenants, because I was raised with a reverence for it, but I would never swear to another that I believed them either, even when I was a pastor.  In some cases I just didn’t yet know what I thought, so I simply brushed it off as optional, and I tried my best to focus on the service and charity components (or the common denominators of Christianity as I saw them).

But many progressive Christians I have met come from a more fundamental background; some of my best friends in fact.  Many of my friends were raised in an environment of indoctrination to believe a modern set of Christian principles tied around Bible literalism and inerrancy.  To some of them, the act of merely questioning something like the doctrine of the Trinity is majorly progressive, and it gets their heart racing about a mile-a-minute.  Or perhaps they subscribe to theology that trades creationism for evolution, homophobia for acceptance, hell for love, and even a little inclusivism.  To some progressives that is the complete other side of the world from where they were raised.

So I wanted to share a word to all who call ourselves progressive Christians.  Instead of comparing our progressiveness to another’s progressiveness, or trying to point out when progressive Christians have progressed too far, we might first consider just where that person has “progressed” from.  It’s easy to think that someone may not be very progressive, or too progressive, especially when they still exhibit ripples of that conservative style of contentiousness that is so common in conservative forms of Christianity.  But if we look at where they started, it may turn out that their journey to where they currently are has actually covered even more miles than our own, or started from a much more distant point.  Either way though, no matter how far we’ve “progressed,” one’s levels of progressiveness, or of thinking of one’s self as superior, is a sticky set of wickets.   Because progressive Christianity is a journey, not a destination.  I think the 8 Points of Progressive Christianity are great!   At the end of the day, Progressive Christianity may be mostly about allowing and encouraging others to progress in the first place, which is a huge paradigm shift from conservative Christianity.

So while some advocate for a “big tent,” I advocate for a “HUGE tent.”  By honoring a “HUGE Christian tent” we can have a large and caring community who are primarily concerned with being open, accepting, and effective at helping the world and its inhabitants to thrive now and into the future.  If one progressive Christian believes in the physical resurrection of Jesus, and the other does not, it shouldn’t matter in the least to the label, although having humility and healthy discussions about it is great.  Nor should it be insinuated that one belief is more legitimate or evolved than the other.  Perhaps the only bit of doctrine that should be table-stakes in progressive Christianity is that we don’t give in to the urge to mirror our conservative Christian brothers and sister’s zeal to mark invalid our own freedom to think.

// Eric Alexander is the founder of Christian Evolution and is the author of Teaching Kids Life IS Good.
READ ON ... 

“You’re Not a Real (Progressive) Christian”

Eric Alexander

If I had a dollar for every time someone on the conservative side of the Christian spectrum said that I wasn’t a “real Christian,”  I would have, well… quite a few dollars.
“You’re Not a Real (Progressive) Christian”by Eric Alexander 
READ ON ... 

Weep Not for Me

William L. (Bill) Wallace 

From the Boundless Life collection
“Weep not, weep not for me*
Weep Not for MeFrom the Boundless Life collectionby William L. (Bill) Wallace
“Weep not, weep not for me*
Daughters of Israel’s womb;
Weep for yourselves”, said Christ
“Not for my cross or tomb”.

God weeps with all the poor,
God wears the prisoners’ chains;
God suffers in our wars,
God shares the people’s pains.

Each broken heart displays
God’s loving tear-drenched face.
Come weep and work with God, **
Come live God’s suff’ring grace.

Luke 23:28 & 31
**Colossians 1:24
Alternative Tune: ST CECILIA
Text © William Livingstone Wallace. Music © Taihei Sato.
Click here to see the score:  Wallace.Weep Not, Weep Not for Me
Click here to hear the music:  

Weekly Liturgy

Week of: January 4th, 2015Farewells

Memorial services or life celebrations offer an opportunity to share our grief, to remember treasured times, even to calm our own fears about what lies ahead.

Farewells

READ ON ... 

Events and Updates


Bishop Spong / Jan 18th / St. Peter’s Church
This event is part of a series that normally occurs Sunday of every week from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM beginning 9/14/2014 and ending after 33 occurrences.

Bishop Spong / Jan 18th / St. Peter’s Church

Read On...

View all upcoming events here!
News
Job Listings
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Website
Website
Email
Email
YouTube
YouTube
Our mailing address is: 
ProgressiveChristianity.org
4810 Pt. Fosdick Dr. NW
#80
Gig Harbor, Washington 98335 United States
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment