Daily Scripture: Daniel 9:15 Our Lord God, with your own mighty arm you rescued us from Egypt and made yourself famous to this very day, but we have sinned terribly. 16 In the past, you treated us with such kindness, that we now beg you to stop being so terribly angry with Jerusalem. After all, it is your chosen city built on your holy mountain, even though it has suffered public disgrace because of our sins and those of our ancestors.
17 I am your servant, Lord God, and I beg you to answer my prayers and bring honor to yourself by having pity on your temple that lies in ruins. 18 Please show mercy to your chosen city, not because we deserve it, but because of your great kindness. 19 Forgive us! Hurry and do something, not only for your city and your chosen people, but to bring honor to yourself.
Reflection Questions:
When the Babylonian army destroyed Jerusalem, they hauled Daniel, along with thousands of his fellow Israelites, off to exile in Babylon. The Israelites knew they had no military or political power, and Daniel added the confession that they had blown it spiritually. There was simply no way for Israel to help themselves. But Daniel boldly asked God for help, “not because of any righteous acts of ours but because of your great compassion.”
• Too many times, we think we need to base our requests for God’s help on some level of “deserving” on our own part, based on effort or spiritual purity. Have you ever gone to God for help with no claim of deserving God’s help other than your deep need (cf. Hebrews 4:14-16, which grounds our confidence not in our own goodness, but in the qualities of Jesus, our High Priest)?
• Daniel echoed the tone of passages like Psalm 18:6, 16. He asked God to help, not based on Daniel’s effort or success, but instead based on his need. In what ways is this different from the tone our culture teaches us to take in job interviews or loan applications? How easy or hard do you find it to trust that Isaiah was right when he quoted God as saying, “My plans aren’t your plans, nor are your ways my ways” (Isaiah 55:8)?
Prayer: Lord God, down deep I know that often the times I need your help the most are the times I deserve it least. Grow in me the confidence to seek you and your help at all times, not just when I think I deserve it. Amen.
Insight from Angela LaVallie
Angela LaVallie is the Worship Logistics Program Director at Resurrection. She oversees preparing the Sanctuary for worship, supports Vibe worship and volunteers in the Student Center, provides oversight for Holy Communion at the Leawood campus, and assists with worship logistics at conferences.
Throughout the Bible, we are challenged to think in a way that is contrary to popular belief. As written in Isaiah 55:8, “My plans aren’t your plans, nor are your ways my ways.” We see this message lived out in the life and teaching of Jesus Christ in the New Testament when Jesus often contradicted the Old Testament law and the Jewish scholars’ understanding of it at the time.
So often when I am faced with an opportunity to help others, I am tempted to first decide for myself whether or not I think they really need help. Realistically, there are people who are just lazy or dishonest and who would rather accept help so as to not have to do something for himself or to take advantage of someone’s kindness. But, just as often, there are people who are in situations where they cannot help themselves because of financial circumstances or physical, mental, or emotional limitations.
It’s not necessarily our place to judge whether or not someone needs our help. Maybe it’s more important to discern the manner in which we help. Maybe sometimes we do something entirely for someone else. Maybe sometimes we work alongside those in need to help them accomplish what needs to be done. God calls us to share his love in the world to any and all. I don’t think God will judge us too harshly if, in trying to share his love, we end up helping those who could have helped themselves.
____________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment