Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States “The Experience of Comfort” for Monday, 12 January 2015 - Scripture: Isaiah 40:1-5

issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States The Experience of Comfort” for Monday, 12 January 2015 - Scripture: Isaiah 40: Encourage God’s People
1 Our God has said:
“Encourage my people!
    Give them comfort.
2 Speak kindly to Jerusalem
    and announce:
Your slavery is past;
    your punishment is over.
I, the Lord, made you pay
    double for your sins.”
3 Someone is shouting:
“Clear a path in the desert!
    Make a straight road
    for the Lord our God.
4 Fill in the valleys;
flatten every hill
    and mountain.
Level the rough
    and rugged ground.
5 Then the glory of the Lord
    will appear for all to see.
The Lord has promised this!”
Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the Lord’s hand double for all her sins.[Isaiah 40:1-2 (NIV)]
Several months ago I began visiting our county jail to lead a Bible study with prisoners. Many of these men had been separated several weeks from their families, their jobs, and any visible means of support. I imagine they felt hopeless.
The prophet Isaiah wrote the Bible passage above, offering hope to a hopeless situation. At our prison Bible study, I read this scripture, directed a brief discussion, and closed with prayer. I remember looking into each face. Together we felt the presence of God’s Spirit in that tiny place. And we felt something else — the healing that came when we trusted God’s word. God is wherever we are, locked up or free. God can speak to hearts that are open and receptive or those that are closed and full of anger.
I began to see a change in their lives each time we met to study together. When we trust in the Lord, we will receive a blessing. Comfort comes to open hearts.
Read more from the author, here.
Still Doing Ministry
It was a joy to write this devotional, as I continue to do jail ministry in our County Jail.  God called me into ministry, while a senior in high school, he has continued to use me past retirement. That has been 60 years ago now.
The three county newspapers I furnished devotionals for, has now grown to a dozen, in three states.  This is why I appreciate The Upper Room, and am glad to have my devotional in print, January 12, 2015. This is a great honor for my wife and me.
One of the highlights for Jean and me was a trip to Nashville, TN. where we were able to tour The Upper Room publishing office and visit the beautiful Upper Room Prayer Chapel.
Since retirement from full time ministry in The United Methodist Church, I have filled in at several churches of other denominations. We continue to remain active in our local United Methodist Church in Rushville, Nebraska.  In addition to jail ministry, I officiate at funerals and gravesides and call on shut-ins in several communities.  We feel at home here, as this is where I served for nine years as their pastor in the 1980s.[Pastor Al & Jean Trucano]
The Author: Al Trucano (Nebraska, USA)
Thought for the Day: Comfort comes from knowing God, who is always near.
Prayer: Be with us, dear Lord, even when we feel closed in. Give us comfort when we feel alone and afraid. Amen.
Prayer focus: Prisoners
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment