Friday, February 27, 2015

The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States “Behind Prison Walls" for Friday, 27 February 2015 - Scripture: Philippians 2:12-18

issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States Behind Prison Walls" for Friday, 27 February 2015 - Scripture: Philippians 2:12 So, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed when I was with you, it is even more important that you obey now when I am away from you: keep working out your deliverance with fear and trembling,[a] 13 for God is the one working among you both the willing and the working for what pleases him. 14 Do everything without kvetching or arguing, 15 so that you may be blameless and pure children of God, without defect in the midst of a twisted and perverted generation,[b] among whom you shine like stars in the sky, 16 as you hold on to the Word of Life. If you do this, I will be able to boast, when the Day of the Messiah comes, that I did not run or toil for nothing. 17 Indeed, even if my lifeblood is poured out as a drink offering over the sacrifice and service of your faith, I will still be glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise, you too should be glad and rejoice with me.[Footnotes:
Philippians 2:12 Psalm 2:11
Philippians 2:15 Deuteronomy 32:5]
Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life.[Philippians 2:14-16 (NIV)]
Nearly four years ago I began counseling prison inmates in alcohol rehabilitation. I tell these men about what Jesus has done for me; I am a recovering alcoholic with over 20 years of sobriety.
Most of the inmates are serving long sentences for murder or armed robbery. However, my colleagues and I seldom hear foul language, and the men are genuinely happy to be with us. They never complain about having to spend 23 hours each day locked up in a small cell. We don’t hear complaints about the food or about the lack of air conditioning in summer. They never speak of harshness by corrections officers or stringent prison rules.
What we do hear over and over again is this question: “Why do you guys drive 40 miles to spend your evening with us, of all people?” We explain to them that we can’t keep what God has given us — sobriety and a future — unless we in turn give it away. We want to share the good news of God’s love with them as well. We tell the prisoners we also come to learn the lessons they can teach us. Already we have learned not to complain and to be grateful for all that we have.
The Author: Scott Wierenga (Michigan, USA)
Thought for the Day: What have I thanked God for today?
Prayer: O God, teach us to be grateful for the ways you care for your people, whether we are inside or outside prison walls. Amen.
Prayer focus: Prison ministries

____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment