Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Rest Practice" for Saturday, 28 January 2017 with Scripture Matthew 11:28-30

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Rest Practice" for Saturday, 28 January 2017 with Scripture Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all of you who are struggling and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.[Matthew 11:29 Jeremiah 6:16] 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”[Complete Jewish Bible]
Matthew 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”[The Message]
-------
Those who enter God’s rest . . . cease from their labors as God did from his. Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest.[Hebrews 4:10-11 (NRSV)]
I sat at my drums, music playing through my headphones, my hands and feet moving in time to the song I was learning for a theater production. My eyes tracked the music on the printed score. The song was fun to play — and so easy. Suddenly, all I heard was the out-of-place thud, thud, thud of my sticks hitting the drums. The music had stopped, but I had kept playing. I had ignored the rest sign that signaled me to stop.
I restarted the song and began again with my head nodding to the beat. My mind wandered just for a second, and once again I didn’t stop at the rest. I knew such a mistake would ruin the performance, so the only answer was for me to practice resting. I played the song again and again, and after enough practice, I got it right!
When I finally turned off the music and set down my drumsticks, I realized that too often I miss the rests in my life. Too often I keep going in my own strength when I need to stop and remember God’s desire for me to be quiet and still. I decided right then that I would practice resting. By God’s grace, we can learn to follow the rhythm God has established for each of us.
The Author: Sherrie Lorance (California, USA)
Thought for the Day: Perfect rest in God requires practice.
Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to practice resting in your presence. Amen.
Prayer focus: Musicians
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment