Tuesday, January 31, 2017

What’s a Christian to say on a day like this? by Stephen M. Miller in Olathe, Kansas, United States from The Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller. for Tuesday, 31 January 2017

 What’s a Christian to say on a day like this? by Stephen M. Miller in Olathe, Kansas, United States from The Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller. for Tuesday, 31 January 2017
"What’s a Christian to say on a day like this?" by Stephen M. Miller
SPEAK NO EVIL? There must come a time when saying nothing, in itself, is evil. Right? If so, are we there yet? Photo by Stephen M. Miller.
IT HAS BEEN A ROCKY WEEK in America.
There has been so much Crazy that I, for one, haven’t known which Crazy to tackle first.
When I need a little help focusing, I’ve found that the Bible is often a good place to start.
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves;
ensure justice for those being crushed.
Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless,
and see that they get justice.”[Proverbs 31:8-9, NLT]
“See that justice is done.
Defend widows and orphans
and help those in need.”[Isaiah 1:17, CEV]
“Don’t mistreat widows or orphans or foreigners or anyone who is poor.”[Zechariah 7:10, CEV]
“Don’t do anything for reasons that are selfish…Think of other folks as more important than you are.”[Philippians 2:3, Casual English Bible]
These are themes that carry God’s people from one end of the Bible to the other. To ignore them is to ignore God himself, it would seem.
When we put ourselves first, or our country first, how can we put others first?
When we bar the doors and build the walls, how can we welcome those who come to us war-torn with nothing but their need?
When we see injustice at work among us but do nothing to block it, how can we help the helpless find the justice God says they deserve?
Deport Lady Liberty
In the spirit of what has happened in the past few days, the thought occurred to me that there’s one more Lady we need to deport. We should just send her back to the country from which she came: France.
For heaven’s sake, she stands there in New York Harbor as a propaganda tool reminding us that we are the “Mother of Exiles.” She says we cry out to the world:
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,”
We’ve got plenty of detention centers at the airports.
For the first time in my life, yesterday I called my congressman. I tried to call my senator, but the phone lines were busy. As they should have been.
On a more personal note
When I write short articles like this on rare occasions, reminding us all of how the Bible intersects with life and with grubby politics, I take heat and I lose some subscribers, though I gain some as well.
I always feel uncomfortable doing this because it’s not the kind of thing I do in my books.
In my books, if there’s a controversial issue, I try to give such a balanced overview that people can’t tell what my position is.
But in grappling with what has been going on in our nation for the past year, in particular, there is clearly a battle being waged between truth and alternative truth.
The Bible is pretty clear on which truth is true.
Good journalists, like good people of God, seek the truth, reject the lies, and expose the facts that prove the lies. Then, each and every time a lie is told, they say with respect, “I’m sorry, but that’s not the truth.”
When we don’t, lies win.
As we have seen.
The post What’s a Christian to say on a day like this? appeared first on Stephen M. Miller.
Recent Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment