Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Friday, 10 November 2017 "Redefining My Dream" by Dorothea Love (California) - John 12:20-26

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Friday, 10 November 2017 "Redefining My Dream" by Dorothea Love (California) - John 12:20-26
-------

DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2017 
Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth 
and dies, it remains just a single grain; 
but if it dies, it bears much fruit. (John 12:24 (NRSV))
My husband, Norman, and I have been married 30 years. When I think about the early months of our marriage, I remember the plans and dreams we had. But chronic illness struck me, and most of our hopes died. My health challenges forced us to drastically alter our lifestyle. We struggled through difficult days but managed to hang on to our love and commitment.
It has taken me over 30 years to understand that God has used my story to encourage others. As I learned to talk about my struggles and limitations, I realized how God’s strength became apparent through my weaknesses. When I share my story with others, I am amazed to recall the depth of God’s compassion. And through my story, others have deepened their trust in God and have found stronger faith.
Paul reminds us in 2 Corinthians 12:9 that Christ’s strength is made perfect in weakness. When we speak about our trials, we can not only focus on the problems but also show others how God helps us endure. Regardless of what we face, our lives can bless and encourage others.
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Loving Father, renew our hope. Help us to encourage others with stories of your faithful love. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
* * *
TODAY'S READING: John 12:20-26
John 12:20 Among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greek-speaking Jews. 21 They approached Philip, the one from Beit-Tzaidah in the Galil, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Yeshua.” 22 Philip came and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Yeshua. 23 Yeshua gave them this answer: “The time has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Yes, indeed! I tell you that unless a grain of wheat that falls to the ground dies, it stays just a grain; but if it dies, it produces a big harvest. 25 He who loves his life loses it, but he who hates his life in this world will keep it safe right on into eternal life! 26 If someone is serving me, let him follow me; wherever I am, my servant will be there too. My Father will honor anyone who serves me.
---
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
My trials can prepare me to encourage others to trust God.
PRAYER FOCUS:
Those celebrating anniversaries
READ MORE:

"Norman" DOROTHEA LOVE (CALIFORNIA)After my husband, Norman, and I were married, I moved to Los Angeles, his hometown. I fell in love with the sunshine, palm trees, and the beaches.
Each morning, Norman and I went to the beach. We spent countless hours walking along the shore, sharing our dreams and goals, laughing and praying. In essence, becoming one. We planned to travel to some of his favorite spots around the world. We talked about starting a family and how we could make a good life together. Norman made me feel safe, loved, cherished, and honored.
I believe those first months were God’s way of cementing our relationship and allowing us to build a solid foundation for our marriage; and, also as a time to develop a bond between us that would not break, even though it would be stretched and tested to the point of shattering. Without that uninterrupted time, I don’t believe our marriage would have survived all the trials we have faced.
Six months into our marriage, chronic pain, and a devastating illness upended my world and plunged us into chaos. Then, there were surgeries, medicines, frantic emotions. A year later, I received another diagnosis that terrified me and caused me to have to seriously face my death for the first time.  Norman held me while I cried at the doctor’s office. He didn’t try to find words to calm me down or cheer me up. He simply put his arms around me until I calmed down. Finally, he lifted my chin and looked into my eyes. “It’s going to be OK. You’re not in this by yourself, so don’t worry.” To this day, he has never told me what went through his mind, or if he felt as devastated as I did. He asked me to think about our past and remember what we’d been through. How God strengthened us to endure those other trials and tests. Surely, God would bring us through this.
I love the fact that Norman always chooses to believe God and speak words of life and faith to me. Sometimes during the challenging moments, I hold onto Norman’s faith because my faith is so weak. Through everything, my husband remains steadfast — a ROCK. His faith and trust in God never waver, and he always manages to demonstrate his love for me. Norman shows me what it looks like to trust God. Since we first got married, I have been amazed at his faith and simple trust. He possesses the child-like faith Jesus speaks of in the Bible (Mark 10:15; Luke 18:17). Although Norman is a man with many responsibilities – husband, father, brother, uncle, grandpa, friend, coworker, volunteer – there is one facet of his character that never fails to inspire me, and that is his identity as a child of God.
Every day, I thank God for my husband, Norman, whether our lives run smoothly or when there are bumps along the way. When I’m having a difficult day, I think about our marriage vows, especially the ones about sickness and health and better or worse. The “hard” days make me remember why I fell in love with him and to admire his ability to continuously help me on my journey of faith. A friendship that began thirty-three years ago is the reason we are still happily married today. Yes, our marriage is far from perfect, but it is a relationship we’ve committed to God, and by His grace, we will continue to thrive as a couple.
Thank You, Lord, for placing this awesome man of faith in my life! (Visit Dorothea's personal blog: dorothealove.wordpress.com)
The Upper Room®
Copyright © The Upper Room 2017, All rights reserved.
Header Photo Credit: "Harvested Land," Beth Shumate. August 15, 2014. (link)
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment