Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 8 November 2017 "A Burden Lifted" by Marie Braam (Cape Town, South Africa) - James 5:13-16

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 8 November 2017 "A Burden Lifted" by Marie Braam (Cape Town, South Africa) - James 5:13-16
-------

DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2017 
Confess your sins to each other. (James 5:16 (NIV))
Early one morning, an elderly neighbor rang my doorbell. “Fetch your Bible,” he said. “Read James 5:16. What it says is what I have come to do.”
I was amazed! This man was a retired headmaster and a community leader. He was respected as an exemplary Christian who held weekly prayer meetings in his home. I listened as he unburdened himself, and I prayed for him. I was greatly humbled by this experience.
Since then, today’s verse has become especially meaningful to me. To confess is to acknowledge weakness. It requires that we trust one another. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” 
(Matt. 11:28).
To acknowledge our faults may bring relief and a measure of peace, but only Jesus can give the assurance, comfort, strength, healing, and forgiveness that we need.
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for understanding our frailty and bearing our burdens. Strengthen us as we listen and pray for others. As Jesus taught us, we pray, “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil” (Luke 11:2-4, kjv). Amen.
* * *
TODAY'S READING: James 5:13-16
James 5:13 Is someone among you in trouble? He should pray. Is someone feeling good? He should sing songs of praise.
14 Is someone among you ill? He should call for the elders of the congregation. They will pray for him and rub olive oil on him in the name of the Lord. 15 The prayer offered with trust will heal the one who is ill — the Lord will restore his health; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore, openly acknowledge your sins to one another, and pray for each other, so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
-------
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
By confessing my sins, I open myself to Christ’s forgiveness.
PRAYER FOCUS:
My neighbors
READ MORE:

More from Marie Braam BY MARIE BRAAM (CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA)
I am both humbled and delighted at having my meditation included in this November issue of The Upper Room.
I am living in the bonus years now. My husband died three years ago after a togetherness of 52 years, and I have love-filled memories of him. My children provide all my needs, so I live in an attitude of gratitude to the Lord for all his " benefits towards me."
I have three families. My biological family, my church family and the family — " as numerous as the stars. . and the sand on the seashore " (Genesis 22:17) — provided by The Upper Room. There is overwhelming blessing to read personal messages from God's word from all over the world, wherever God's children are.
The Lord bless and keep you,
Marie Braam
The Upper Room®
Copyright © The Upper Room 2017, All rights reserved.
Header Photo Credit: "Harvested Land," Beth Shumate. August 15, 2014. (link)
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment