Wednesday, June 27, 2018

"Pray Morning, Noon and Night" for Wednesday, 27 June 2018 from The United Methodist Church Prays in Nashville, Tennessee, United States

"Pray Morning, Noon and Night" for Wednesday, 27 June 2018 from The United Methodist Church Prays in Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Dear Friends,
We continue this fourth week of Praying Our Way Forward, Part 3, with 36 weeks to go before the February 23-26, 2019 Special Called General Conference. One of the practices of the church throughout the ages has been to set aside time for prayer each day. This week we commend to you the prayers written by Bishop Rueben P. Job, who is now a part of the great cloud of witnesses cheering the United Methodist Church on from his place in glory. In his book, Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living, pp. 69-75, Bishop Job urged United Methodists to pray the following prayers every morning, noon and night. I actually typed the prayers into my electronic calendar the content of an appointment with God at 9:00am, noon, and 4:00pm each day. When the alarm went off to remind me of my appointment, I would pray the prayer that my good friend had written for me. I would invite you to take up these three prayers and pray them at the appointed hours (or times more appropriate for your family and work schedule).
Pray these prayers until you know them by heart. Then begin to modify the prayers as the Holy Spirit leads you. There is nothing more important that you can do for the UMC than pray.
Please consider writing these prayers into your electronic appointment calendar, notebook, or diary:
  • 9:00 a.m., INVITING GOD’S INTERVENTION IN OUR LIVES Loving Teacher, come and make your home in my heart this day. Dwell within me all day long and save me from error or foolish ways. Teach me today to do no harm, to do good, and assist me so that I may stay in love with you and my neighbor. Help me today to be an answer to another’s prayer so that I may be one of your signs of hope in the world you love. SCRIPTURE: You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; In your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11) PRAYER OFFERING Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word. (Luke 1:38) GOD’S PROMISE And Remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age (Matthew 28:20b)
  • Noon, WELCOMING GOD’S PRESENCE God of love, holiness, and strength, we thank you for the gift of your presence through the morning hours. Continue to make yourself and your way known to us throughout the remaining hours of the day. Grant us grace to follow you in faithfulness, joy, and peace. We are yours. SILENCE Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening (1 Samuel 3:9) Listening for God’s direction as we wait for guidance and direction for the remaining hours of the day. RESPONSE It is the Lord; let him do what seems good to him (1 Samuel 3:18b) PRAYER BLESSING My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me (Psalm 63:8)
  • 4:00 p.m., INVITING GOD’S ACTIVITY Tender Shepherd of my soul; make yourself and your way known to me in this evening time of prayer and reflection. Bring awareness of my failures and confidence in your desire and ability to forgive my sins, heal my wounds, and mend my broken places. By the power of your presence bring me to the end of the day whole, complete, and at peace with you, my neighbor and myself. Grant a night of peaceful rest and send me forth tomorrow as a witness to your love and grace. A CONTINUING REQUEST Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation. (Psalm 51:10-12a) BLESSING Forgiven, free from sin and the burdens of life, receive the peace of Christ for a restful and refreshing night, embraced in the everlasting arms of God. I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
Copyright © 2018 The Upper Room, All rights reserved.Our mailing address is:
The Upper Room Strategic Initiatives
PO Box 340007
Nashville, Tennessee 37203, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment