Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The God Pause from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 26 June 2018 - Psalm 30

The God Pause from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 26 June 2018 - Psalm 30
Psalm 30:
1 (0) A psalm. A song for the dedication of the house. By David:
2 (1) I will exalt you, Adonai, because you drew me up;
you didn’t let my enemies rejoice over me.
3 (2) Adonai my God, I cried out to you,
and you provided healing for me.
4 (3) Adonai, you lifted me up from Sh’ol;
you kept me alive when I was sinking into a pit.
5 (4) Sing praise to Adonai, you faithful of his;
and give thanks on recalling his holiness.
6 (5) For his anger is momentary,
but his favor lasts a lifetime.
Tears may linger for the night,
but with dawn come cries of joy.
7 (6) Once I was prosperous and used to say,
that nothing could ever shake me —
8 (7) when you showed me favor, Adonai,
I was firm as a mighty mountain.
But when you hid your face,
I was struck with terror.
9 (8) I called to you, Adonai;
to Adonai I pleaded for mercy:
10 (9) “What advantage is there in my death,
in my going down to the pit?
Can the dust praise you?
Can it proclaim your truth?
11 (10) Hear me, Adonai, and show me your favor!
Adonai, be my helper!”
12 (11) You turned my mourning into dancing!
You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
13 (12) so that my well-being can praise you and not be silent;
Adonai my God, I will thank you forever!
 (Complete Jewish Bible)***
God is present in times of joy and sorrow. Psalm 30 reminds us that when we experience sadness, we know God will be with us throughout our hard times. It also connects with us when we put our lives in God's hands and God guides us with love and kindness. God shows us how to turn the negative into a positive. The psalms are a collection of praises and cries for help. How strange for teenagers who often care so much about their clothing to see how God clothes us: "You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy." God clothes us with joy, because "God's favor lasts a lifetime." What a promise!
Jesus is bringing us together at the National Youth Gathering to teach us how we can get through hard times and days. It shows that Jesus will be with us no matter what we are going through in our lives.
(Reflections by Ashlyn Bishop and Morgan Dannen, 10th grade, Central High School, Aberdeen, S.D.)
Dear God, help us to teach others that people are there to help us get through hard
times. Give us the strength to be thankful and praise you in all times and circumstances. Amen.

Kevin Bergeson, '07
Staff Pastor, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Aberdeen, S.D.

Psalm 30: Thanksgiving for Recovery from Grave Illness
A Psalm. A Song at the dedication of the temple. Of David.
1 I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up,
and did not let my foes rejoice over me.
2 O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
and you have healed me.
3 O Lord, you brought up my soul from Sheol,
restored me to life from among those gone down to the Pit.[
Psalm 30:3 Or that I should not go down to the Pit]
4 Sing praises to the Lord, O you his faithful ones,
and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment;
his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may linger for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
6 As for me, I said in my prosperity,
“I shall never be moved.”
7 By your favor, O Lord,
you had established me as a strong mountain;
you hid your face;
I was dismayed.
8 To you, O Lord, I cried,
and to the Lord I made supplication:
9 “What profit is there in my death,
if I go down to the Pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it tell of your faithfulness?
10 Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me!
O Lord, be my helper!”
11 You have turned my mourning into dancing;
you have taken off my sackcloth
and clothed me with joy,
12 so that my soul[
Psalm 30:12 Heb that glory] may praise you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever.
 (New Revised Standard Bible).
***
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55108, United State
***

No comments:

Post a Comment