Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Redondo Beach, California, United States First United Methodist Church eNews for Thursday, 28 June 2018: "Summer Sermon Series---Messages From the Movies: 'Wonder'" New Summer Sermon Series; Worship at 8:30am and 10:30am.

The Redondo Beach, California, United States First United Methodist Church eNews for Thursday, 28 June 2018: "Summer Sermon Series---Messages From the Movies: 'Wonder'" New Summer Sermon Series; Worship at 8:30am and 10:30am.
From Pastor Molly: ...
Pastor Molly is away on vacation through Friday the 29th. She will be back in the pulpit this Sunday and sharing her thoughts in next week's eNewsletter! This week we are excited to continue sharing stories from our Readiness 360 Team. This week's "Why Church" comes from from Leila Grantz.
As you all have heard, Pastor Molly has asked the Readiness 360 team to answer the question, "Why church?" So as one of the Readiness 360 team, I knew my turn was coming. I kept dragging my feet. I don't like to talk about my faith. I haven't had much opportunity (nor do I go looking for the opportunities), so this is very foreign to me. Yet, as the Readiness 360 Team has been meeting, learning, and growing, I've come to understand the importance of sharing and... I'm cringing even as I say this... I want to learn how to share my faith. In preparation for this, I've been intently listening to the other members of the Readiness 360 team as well as all the graduating youth. It has amazed me how similar yet different each of our stories are. I envy the youth for discovering this so early in their lives, but I'm so thankful I have figured this out (and still figuring this out) in my 50s! So depending on what part of my life I was/am in, when asked "Why Church?", I would have answered differently:...(click to read more)

Why Church?

Stories and reflections from members of our church community. by Leila Grantz
As you all have heard, Pastor Molly has asked the Readiness 360 team to answer the question, "Why church?" So as one of the Readiness 360 team, I knew my turn was coming. I kept dragging my feet. I don't like to talk about my faith. I haven't had much opportunity (nor do I go looking for the opportunities), so this is very foreign to me. Yet, as the Readiness 360 Team has been meeting, learning, and growing, I've come to understand the importance of sharing and... I'm cringing even as I say this... I want to learn how to share my faith. In preparation for this, I've been intently listening to the other members of the Readiness 360 team as well as all the graduating youth. It has amazed me how similar yet different each of our stories are. I envy the youth for discovering this so early in their lives, but I'm so thankful I have figured this out (and still figuring this out) in my 50s! So depending on what part of my life I was/am in, when asked "Why Church?", I would have answered differently:
  1. To socialize
  2. To raise my children
  3. I love it.
First, to socialize. I wasn't raised in a church. I had a lovely childhood in a neighborhood with many kids. As an extrovert, I loved playing with friends, and that is how I spent every moment of my free time. I especially loved summers as I had no obligations and could spend every day doing just that. This is when I first encountered church... or the absence of church. I always dreaded Sunday mornings because it was so much harder to find someone available to play with as they were all in church!! Then when I was in middle school, we moved to a very small southern town to be closer to my grandparents. As it was summer and I knew no one, I was desperate for a way to meet people. My mom started taking my grandmother to church. When hearing that there was a youth group, I jumped at the opportunity. Even though I was baptized and confirmed, I don't think I could even start to tell you what I learned. I was there purely for social reasons. What I did learn is how much I didn't know about the Bible. I went to a youth Sunday School class one time. When I realized I didn't even know the basic stories, I never went again (to Sunday School - I still went to church and youth group). In college and young adulthood, I was too busy living life to go to church.
Second, to raise my children. It wasn't until my husband and I were talking about starting a family that the conversation of church even came up again. I didn't want my children not to know the basics of the Bible. So starting a family is what brought me back to church. We were faithful in this activity, only missing church when we were out of town. Our boys went to Sunday School, participated in Church R Us and Youth Group, VBSs, and mission trips. I enjoyed the women's groups and the annual weekend family Snow Camp. Again, I liked the kind of people who I, and my kids met, at church. Church was my family away from home. It was also very grounding for me. It got me out of my head, out of my day to day concerns, and thinking about the bigger picture - what was really important. I started doing more for others.
Finally, I go to church now because I truly love it. I've started listening to the messages in the sermons, attending different Bible Studies, and participating in Lenten Studies. I slowly started learning about God, Jesus, the Bible and Christian teachings. As part of a small group that had continued on after a Lenten Study, I read the Bible from cover to cover. Throughout my learning, sometimes I felt close to God and other times, not as close, but I recognized that faith is a journey. We are all on this journey together, and we have things we can learn from each other. We need each other. This has been particularly true when I recently started questioning exactly what I believed. (It's funny how it takes some event to make you really look at what you believe!) I am still trying to formulate it, but I know I am not alone on this journey and will always be accepted at this church. I love praying with others. I love thinking about God and praising Him with others. I love taking communion together (which I have to bring up - I love the fact that our communion table is open to everyone, not just the members of our church, the Methodist Church, or to people who believe a certain way.) I've also learned that God wants me to be one of his children. He has accepted me no matter the "reasons" I've come to church. I still have a lot to learn. I want to go deeper into the Bible. I want to learn how to experience God and recognize God in my day to day life. Now that my boys have left for college and helping with the care of my parents is complete, I'm looking for my next purpose in life. I want to help the less fortunate. And for once, I've been praying about it, hoping that what I pick is what God wants me to do. And I want to share my faith, both through my actions, and now through my words. I can honestly say I am hungry for more. I would never be who I am today without the church!
In Worship This Week
Sunday, July 1:
"Messages from the Movies: Wonder"
Rev. Molly Vetter, preaching
2 Corinthians 8:7-15

2 Corinthians 8:7 Just as you excel in everything — in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in diligence of every kind, and in your love for us — see that you excel in this gift too. 8 I am not issuing an order; rather, I am testing the genuineness of your love against the diligence of others. 9 For you know how generous our Lord Yeshua the Messiah was — for your sakes he impoverished himself, even though he was rich, so that he might make you rich by means of his poverty. 10 As I say, in regard to this matter I am only giving an opinion. A year ago you were not only the first to take action but the first to want to do so. Now it would be to your advantage 11 to finish what you started, so that your eagerness in wanting to commence the project may be matched by your eagerness to complete it, as you contribute from what you have. 12 For if the eagerness to give is there, the acceptability of the gift will be measured by what you have, not by what you don’t have. 13 It is not that relief for others should cause trouble for you, but that there should be a kind of reciprocity: 14 at present your abundance can help those in need; so that when you are in need, their abundance can help you — thus there is reciprocity. 15 It is as the Tanakh says,
“He who gathered much had nothing extra,
and he who gathered little had nothing lacking.”[2 Corinthians 8:15 Exodus 16:18(Complete Jewish Bible).
2 Corinthians 8:7-15

Verse 9
[9] For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
For ye know — And this knowledge is the true source of love.
The grace — The most sincere, most free, and most abundant love.
He became poor — In becoming man, in all his life; in his death.
Rich — In the favour and image of God.
Verse 12
[12] For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
A man — Every believer.
Is accepted — With God.
According to what he hath — And the same rule holds universally. Whoever acknowledges himself to be a vile, guilty sinner, and, in consequence of this acknowledgment, flies for refuge to the wounds of a crucified Saviour, and relies on his merits alone for salvation, may in every circumstance of life apply this indulgent declaration to himself.
Verse 14
[14] But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:
That their abundance — If need should so require.
May be — At another time.
A supply to your want: that there may be an equality — No want on one side, no superfluity on the other. It may likewise have a further meaning:-that as the temporal bounty of the Corinthians did now supply the temporal wants of their poor brethren in Judea, so the prayers of these might be a means of bringing down many spiritual blessings on their benefactors: so that all the spiritual wants of the one might be amply supplied; all the temporal of the other.
Verse 15
[15] As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.
As it is written, He that had gathered the most had nothing over; and he that had gathered the least did not lack — That is, in which that scripture is in another sense fulfilled. Exodus 16:18 (John Wesley’s Explanatory Notes)

8:30am in Epworth Lounge
10:30am in the Sanctuary

Special Music: "Wonder" by Natalie Merchant, sung by Pauline Tamale.
"Wonder" by Natalie Merchant
Doctors have come from distant cities, just to see me
Stand over my bed, disbelieving what they're seeing 
They say I must be one of the wonders 
Of God's own creation
And as far as they see, they can offer
No explanation 
Newspapers ask intimate questions, want confessions
They reach into my head to steal, the glory of my story 
They say I must be one of the wonders 
Of God's own creation
And as far as they see, they can offer
No explanation 
Ooo, I believe, fate, fate smiled 
And destiny laughed as she came to my cradle 
Know this child will be able
Laughed as my body she lifted
Know this child will be gifted
With love, with patience, and with faith
She'll make her way, she'll make her way 
People see me I'm a challenge to your balance
I'm over your heads how I confound you 
And astound you
To know I must be one of the wonders 
They say I must be one of the wonders 
Of God's own creation
And as far as they see, they can offer
No explanation 
Ooo, I believe, fate, fate smiled 
And destiny laughed as she came to my cradle 
Know this child will be able
Laughed as she came to my mother
Know this child will not suffer
Laughed as my body she lifted
Know this child will be gifted
With love, with patience and with faith
She'll make her way, she'll make her way 
(Songwriters: Natalie A Merchant, Wonder lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group)
Listen to Sermons online
Visit our Website
News From Our Members

Last Sunday my special friends, the Ladies who often help with the greeting as you enter, volunteered without asking. You found June Shors and Samantha Kaiser greeting you as you entered the North door of our sanctuary and Kathleen Malkin at the South doorway. I have asked them many times these past years to take turns welcoming people as they enter church and they have happily volunteered at those and other times, willingly. So thanks to them, our greeters are staffed nearly all the time. I also should thank many of you, friends and members who...
Thursday, June 28, 2018

Bob Peterson
Bob Peterson's popular column for the Mainsail has found new life, online! Read his view from the pews about church life and community news. You'll enjoy keeping up with the many good things happening in our congregation! by Bob Peterson
Last Sunday my special friends, the Ladies who often help with the greeting as you enter, volunteered without asking. You found June Shors and Samantha Kaiser greeting you as you entered the North door of our sanctuary and Kathleen Malkin at the South doorway. I have asked them many times these past years to take turns welcoming people as they enter church and they have happily volunteered at those and other times, willingly. So thanks to them, our greeters are staffed nearly all the time. I also should thank many of you, friends and members who volunteer to greet everyone as they enter. It makes for a welcoming feeling for each and everyone each week.
So, when I asked Ernie, who knows everything about each of us, where Pastor Molly was during her time off, he said the family was in Costa Rica and I said, what a wonderful place for a holiday. We'll probably hear about that place upon her return.
Now that the choir is off for the month of July or more, perhaps a couple of them will volunteer to be greeters during their time off. See me, you singers. Keeping you busy is another of my jobs.
My two happy Great Granddaughters are now signed on for Vacation Bible School, in August, so if you meet Natalie and Vivian Thompson during VBS, they are a wonderful part of my family, my grand-daughter Rachael and Tim Thompson's children. They were so happy about last year's VBS that they pressured their parents to be certain to schedule them for this year. It's wonderful for children to learn about Jesus and be so excited that they want to hear more the following year. Thank you, Risa, staff and volunteers for making it happen.
Last Sunday we heard three more high school graduates tell of their experiences here at our church, some of the things they learned and how it has helped them choose a direction for living. We were inspired by Adan Yorke, Joshua Kosnoff (by video) and Todd Potter as each spoke of different experiences, thanking our church and its leaders for their inspiration as, this fall, they head for Clemson, Purdue and U.C. Riverside, respectively. To all our graduates from any class or school this year, Congratulations and come back often to visit us again.
Click here for more of the Lay Looker
Coming at Church

Capital Campaign: Stepping Up
Our Trustees and Church Council invite you to consider a special gift to a summer capital campaign, aimed at funding three critical upgrades on campus: new exterior stairs on our education building, new flooring in Epworth Lounge, and upgraded LED lights in Fellowship Hall and through the campus. We are almost half way to our goal in pledges and money received!We hope you will consider making a one-time gift for these necessary projects--click through for more information or to make a donation!

Mid-summer Sermon Series
All July, our sermon series will be taking us to the movies, as we connect Christian theology to these from recent films. They're all on video or available streaming, so we hope you might pop some popcorn and watch them, too. We'll talk about Wonder(July 1), The Last Jedi (July 8), The Greatest Showman(July 15), Black Panther(July 22) and Coco(July 29).
Parking Lot Fundraiser: 4th of July
The good fathers of Redondo Beach have decided to celebrate the fourth on two days.
On Sunday July 1, we will have the fireworks (and crowds) at the beach. Then, of course,
we will have more crowds on “true” July 4, Wednesday. We plan to work the parking lot
both days. THIS IS OUR BIG MONEY MAKER FOR THE YEAR.
Please contact me, Paul Caldwell, if you can work a two-hour shift either day (310-683-8160, paulwcjr1@verizon.com) or see me at Church.
Online Video Bible Study Group Has Begun!
Join us for an online, interactive video Bible study this summer! We will read through "Consider the Birds: A Provocative Guide to Birds of the Bible," by Debbie Blue. Our small group meets via online video chat, so you can join in from wherever you are this summer, on your laptop, smart phone or tablet!
We meet up online on Tuesday evenings, from 8:30-9:30pm, through Google Hangouts. The group is led by Lillian Naveira, Eileen Raycroft and Pastor Molly Vetter, and will continue for 10 weeks over the summer. Next up is Chapter 3 (The Quail--Believing God is Enough) on Tuesday, July 3.
Click through for more information, including the link to log on!
We have special opportunities for kids on Sunday mornings this Summer!
Options for Children at Church in Summer!
We love having children in worship, and through the summer, we encourage families to attend together!
For much of the summer, our children's Sunday School is on break, but two special things are happening:
-We have special children's activity books available to pick up as kids enter the sanctuary, with things they can work on during worship.
-Some weeks, we also have special Summer FunDay School activities planned: the kids will be invited to meet up at the Passing of the Peace to leave the sanctuary and go for a lesson during part of worship--they'll return for Communion.
Our next Fun-Day Schools will be July 8th and July 22nd!
Wanted: Sound Board Operators
We are looking for 8-10+ people to volunteer to be part of a rotation of sound board operators. There are no requirements other than a desire to help out. Volunteers should either meet me after church or send me (Matt Parker) an email at mjp.sandiego@gmail.com.
Volunteers and donations needed for our Summer Programming
This summer, we will share the love of God with over 100 children from our community.
You can help make it happen!
We are looking for many helping hands!
Click Here to read job descriptions and view our donation wishlist.
To buy something from our Amazon wishlist and sent directly to the church, CLICK HERE!
VBS 2018
Grow in faith. Have Fun. Change the world!
VBS 2018 is coming: August 13-17 Click here for more info and registration!
We will be inspired each day by the vastness of God's amazing creation and love! There will be games, crafts, and more each day, while we learn about the Parable of the Sower.
October 20: Church Golf Tournament
Mark your calendars now, and make plans to join us for our 2018 church golf tournament. We will return to the beautiful Los Verdes Golf Course for the tournament, which benefits the ministries of our church.
Questions? Contact Gary Baughman at church
Book Club: Summer Reading
At our final meeting prior to summer hiatus, the book club selected five books for enjoyment during July and August. We will not meet again until Tuesday, September 18. The books we selected are: The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir, by Jennifer Ryan; Hillbilly Elegy, by J. D. Vance; Uncommon Type, by Tom Hanks; Dancing in a Distant Place, by Isla Dewar; and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow. Read as many as you wish; we will briefly discuss all of them when next we meet. Happy reading until September!
For more information, contact Ann Gallagher.
Pass the Mic: Testimony Online
We are excited to include testimonies and stories from the people of our congregation in our worship. In recent weeks, we heard from members of our Readiness 360 Team, as well as our graduating seniors. You can find all these testimonies on our website!
Youth Sunday/Banquet Videos!

Youth Sunday, and the Youth Banquet, were so good!!!
If you missed it, there are videos online! Here is the Youth Sunday video, and here is the Youth Banquet Video.


Coming This Fall:
We'll invite you on a trip through the wardrobe to Narnia.
Kids, youth, and grown-ups are all invited along.
(Talk to Kristin Harper if you're ready to know more...)
Week In the Arts
Don't miss out on our very special arts camp!
Children will spend the week learning songs, dancing, and making original art pieces- all culminating in an art show and recital at the end of the week.
Open to all K-6th Graders
$200.00 per camper
Scholarships Available
Click here for more info & registration!
Summer Camp at Lazy W Ranch
Summer Camp is open to all 1st graders-Class of '18 seniors, registration is open now!
The cost is $445 for traditional camps and $475 for adventure camp.
Financial assistance is available, get in touch with Risa for more details!
Click here for more information on Lazy W Camps!
To register for camp or learn more about other Cal-Pac Camps, click here!
Announcements
Men's Breakfast: Our next breakfast is Monday, July 2, at 7AM. Coco's Restaurant, 18120 Hawthorne Blvd. (Hawthorne and 182nd). All men of the church and their friends are welcome to join us for fellowship.
Prayer Quilt Ministry: Join us for our monthly quilting workshop Friday, July 13, starting at 10am. There's something for everyone to do to help. Even if you haven't tried quilt-making before, this is a great way to begin.Know someone in need of prayer? Anyone can sponsor a free prayer quilt. The Quilt Request Form is online or in the church office.
Meals and More: Did you know that we have a ministry that organizes meals and other assistance for church folks in times of need? In the past, we've helped arrange rides to medical appointments, meals for people recovering from surgery, and more. Leila Grantz coordinates this ministry, using online sign-up tools. If you want to be a part of the group that she emails when there is an opportunity to help, or if you know someone who's in need of a little help, please contact the church office or Leila.
This Week: Children, Youth & Adults
Nursery (6 weeks+): The Nursery is open during both services, for ages 6 weeks to 5 yrs old. Located right off of the parking lot across from Epworth Lounge. Please know that children of any age are always welcome in worship. Any questions email the Nursery Coordinator: Adriana Hwang
Children's Ministry(age 3 - 3rd Grade): It's summer, so we'll be in church with our families! Pastor Molly will be preaching about the movie, Wonder! As always, There will be fun activity pages and books to read at our children's station.
Church R Us (Grades 4 & 5): Sunday School is officially in summer mode.
Youth Ministry (6th-12th grade):
-Middle School Sunday School (10:30am)? We are ON a BREAK!
-Youth Group(2-4pm on Sunday)? We're on a break!
Young Adults (19-not very specific):
We have a Monday night group for Young Adults and Young families. We meet 5:30-7:00, enjoy a meal together then share in bible study, discussions, and prayer. Child care is available. Stay tuned for more Young Adult events!
Monday Night Dinner Study (Young-ish Adults and Young-ish Families):
We meet in Epworth at 5:30 Monday Nights for a meal and bible study. Children's programming available. Questions? Email Dawn Kirkemo!
Adult Sunday School: Bible Study and Discussion in May Day Parlor. Sunday mornings from 9:30-10:15am. Led by Helen Stockwell. All are welcome.
Thursday Pastor's Bible Study:
We usually meet Thursday mornings from 11:00-noon, in May Day Parlor. All are welcome.
United Methodist News & Events
Our congregation is a part of the El Tordondo Mission Area, in the West District of the California-Pacific Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
First United Methodist Church of Redondo Beach
(310)372-8445 main
(310)372-5696 fax
Ongoing Ministries
Free Meal on Wednesday Nights
Offering food and friendship to those in need, every Wednesday night since 1992. More info here.
Shared Bread always accepts donations of the following:new underwear- men's and women's, all sizes; Sweatpants/sweatshirts-L/XL (hooded, zip up, dark colors); Men’s jeans waist sizes 32- 34; Men’s new socks, white or grey only- all sizes; Men’s tennis shoes - especially sizes 9.5 to 11.5; new or used brown paper bags with handles.
Please bring them to church on Sunday, or to the office during the week.
DESSERTS FOR SHARED BREAD
Homemade treats are treasured by our guests – but purchased treats would be wonderful, as well. Please wrap desserts tightly and mark for Shared Bread. Deliver Sunday (when you come for church) through Wednesday to the church kitchen (or the office if kitchen is closed.) Wednesday deliveries
should be here by 4:00pm to help us plan our meal better. THANK YOU!
This Sunday we will be serenaded by our own Pauline Tamale. Pauline is our resident songbird, and every opportunity to hear her sing is a treasure. She recently graduated with a Bachelor of Music, Voice Performance from California State University, Long Beach on May 25th, 2018. She is an international scholar from the Kingdom of Tonga. She studied classical voice with Shigemi Matsumoto. Last summer, she participated and featured in the Miami Music Festival playing the role of the Old Woman and featured in the Schmopera newspaper review. She recently featured in the school production as the Old Lady from Candideby Bernstein. She is planning to continue for her Masters Degree in Voice with an emphasis in Opera.
Next week, we’ll be serenaded by our own Stacy Parks. Don’t miss it.
Andraé Edward Crouch, a Los Angeles native, has been referred to as...

Thursday, June 28, 2018 - Music Notes
Jim Raycroft
Music Director, Jim Raycroft, will
share upcoming worship music
selections and a little bit of history, too. by Jim Raycroft
This Sunday we will be serenaded by our own Pauline Tamale. Pauline is our resident songbird, and every opportunity to hear her sing is a treasure. She recently graduated with a Bachelor of Music, Voice Performance from California State University, Long Beach on May 25th, 2018. She is an international scholar from the Kingdom of Tonga. She studied classical voice with Shigemi Matsumoto. Last summer, she participated and featured in the Miami Music Festival played the role of the Old Woman and featured in the Schmopera newspaper review. She recently featured in the school production as the Old Lady from Candide by Bernstein. She is planning to continue for her Masters Degree in Voice with an emphasis in Opera.
Next week, we'll be serenaded by our own Stacy Parks. Don't miss it.
Andraé Edward Crouch, a Los Angeles native, has been referred to as "the father of modern gospel music" by contemporary Christian and gospel music professionals. Known for his compositions The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power, Soon and Very Soon, and this week's anthem My Tribute (To God Be the Glory) - which he told me had been recorded 2500 times - he was also known for his collaborative work during the 1980s and 1990s with Stevie Wonder, Elton John and Quincy Jones, as well as conducting choirs that sang on the Michael Jackson hit "Man in the Mirror" and Madonna's "Like a Prayer". Crouch was noted for his talent of incorporating contemporary secular music styles into the gospel music he grew up with. His efforts in this area helped pave the way for early American contemporary Christian music during the 1960s and 1970s. His original musical arrangements were heard in the movies The Color Purple and The Lion King, and in the NBC television show Amen. His awards and honors include 7 Grammy Awards, induction into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1998 and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. After his father's death in 1994, Crouch and his twin sister Sandra took over the shared duty of senior pastor at the church his parents founded, Christ Memorial Church of God in Christ in Pacoima. I first met Andraé when we performed on the 1993 Grammy Awards ceremonies together. He was part of the team that had produced The Messiah, a Soulful Celebration (a gospel adaptation of 16 of the pieces from the Messiah), which was up for a Grammy for best gospel album. We were both singing with the choir that performed a hybrid version of the Hallelujah Chorus for the show, and during rehearsals we talked at length about the piece. He asked me "I wonder what Handel would have thought about what we did to his music?" I told him "I think he would have loved it. He was always ripping off his own music for other uses, but I think he would have loved the idea that someone could have taken his music and made it relevant and meaningful to a whole new generation, culture and race of people." I still think that. Sadly, we lost him in January of 2015.
Natalie Merchant is an alternative rock singer/songwriter who was born in Jamestown, New York in 1963. She began singing with the folk/rock band 10,000 Maniacs at the tender age of 18, while a student at Jamestown Community College, and was their lead singer/principle lyricist for 12 years. She left the band in 1993 to begin a solo career and released the album Tigerlily in 1995, which she funded herself, refusing the advance from the record company. The album contained a top 10 hit, Carousel, and 2 other top 40 hits, Jealousy and this week's offertory, Wonder. The album would go on to sell 5 million copies and is her most successful album to date. Wonder reached #20 on the US Billboard Hot 100 list and #10 on the Canadian RPM Top Singles chart. In a BBC "Mastertapes" interview, she said that the song was about "a child born with a congenital disease." - a set of twins she had known personally. The original version of the song played during the credits for the 2017 Julia Roberts movie Wonder. Interestingly, Natalie's mother is best friends with the mother of our keyboardist, Cris.

Click here to read more Music Notes!
Looking for a Way to Volunteer?
The Welcome Team is looking for volunteers who can help about once a month between the two services and/or immediately after the 10:30 service. Go to our "Want to Help" page to learn more about this awesome ministry, as well as several other current ways you can lend a hand in ministry.


Calling All Gardeners!
Do you have a couple hours once or twice a month to help maintain our beautiful church gardens? Tasks would include pruning, planting, weeding and watering. Whatever you can help with, we'd love to have you join our team! Duties could change seasonally. Sign up through the church office, or by talking with Jody Wilkinson.
4th-8th Graders needed to Acolyte!
Acolytes are needed for 10:30 worship each week. If you've been trained, you can sign up via our "sign up genius" (click here!)
If you are interested in being trained, email children's ministries!
Our UMW is back to their regular meeting times.
Circle Meeting Time
  • Naomi Circle 2nd Tuesday @ 10:00am
  • Hannah Circle 2nd Tuesday @ 7:00pm
  • Mary Circle 4th Monday @ 7:00pm
Want to know more? Click Here!
United Methodist Women’s Reading Program: There are many titles to choose from with new ones added every year! Books are available in the UMW library located in May Day Parlor. Any one can read the books and our own local UMW unit will get credit! click here for information about the program.
Support missions through recycling!
Bring your plastic bottles, aluminum cans AND CRV glass bottles to church every Sunday. By recycling we can support Corazon, Crop Walk, Habitat for Humanity and some of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) programs: Syrian refugee relief, eradicating hunger, clean water, ending malaria and fighting HIV/AIDS. Please bring your cans and bottles.
We have many spots to fill for liturgists on Sunday mornings. The following link will take you the sign up. Please check it out.
Sunday Worship Liturgist Sign Up
Campus WiFi network is: First UMC Guests; Password is: openhearts
Parking Reminder: If you are able, we encourage you to park at the Wells Fargo bank on Sunday mornings, and walk across the street, reserving the parking lot for those with mobility challenges or for new visitors. We also have a bike rack on the patio. Thanks for your consideration.
Hearing Assistance Devices are available on Sunday mornings. Just ask for one at the audio/video booth in the sanctuary.

Connect with us

First United Methodist Church
243 South Broadway
Redondo Beach, California 90277, United States

***

No comments:

Post a Comment